Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • snowy72
    • By snowy72 5th Oct 17, 12:51 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    snowy72
    eBay returned item problem
    • 5th Oct 17, 12:51 AM
    eBay returned item problem 5th Oct 17 at 12:51 AM
    Hello,
    I have an issue with an ebay purchase and don't know how to now proceed so any advice would be welcome.

The issue:
    • I purchased an item in August via paypal.
    • The seller sent it via Hermes who tried to deliver it while I was not at home
    • Hermes then returned the item to the seller
    • There is tracking to show that Hermes attempted delivery to me and that the item was returned to the seller
    • An issue that muddies the water is that whoever signed for the returned item did so using my name.
    • The seller claims that they did not receive the returned parcel & will not process a refund until they receive the return.
    • I have spoken with Hermes who have investigated this and provided me with all tracking details
    • I have informed the seller that if they have not received the returned parcel they need to file a lost parcel claim with Hermes as they have the contract with them.
    • I have proceeded through the ebay escalation process for "Item Not Received", they have just given their decision in the sellers favour and will not give me a refund.
    • Their decision is based on the fact that as a delivery was attempted at my location the seller has completed their part of the deal.
    I am now left with no goods, no money and an uncooperative seller.

Any suggestions how to proceed?

Many Thanks,
    Mark
Page 2
    • Moogles44
    • By Moogles44 8th Oct 17, 11:06 AM
    • 137 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Moogles44
    You win the case because the item has been delivered - albeit the buyer has gone to the delivery office and collected it. You do see the difference don't you?

You won't win a case because the item was attempted and is at the delivery office awaiting collection.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    I have though. I've won many cases with that exact scenario . Ebay say , yes I can see through tracking you posted item on time and I can see they tried to deliver and it's at their post office.

I swear I have won many cases with item still being at their local post office and not actually with the buyer, I've been selling about 7 years at least and I never have lost one case where this is the case.
    Last edited by Moogles44; 08-10-2017 at 11:12 AM.
    • Moogles44
    • By Moogles44 8th Oct 17, 11:10 AM
    • 137 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Moogles44
    If you are a high volume seller there are far better services than SF with RM. Have you thought about Royal Mail Tracked? You get a free collection with it too.

I don't understand that bit.
    I got that last bit a bit muddled.

I looked into getting my parcels collected on Royal Mail business but there was a fee?

OP have you rung PayPal yet? Please try
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 8th Oct 17, 5:57 PM
    • 11,382 Posts
    • 7,651 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    I got that last bit a bit muddled.

I looked into getting my parcels collected on Royal Mail business but there was a fee?

OP have you rung PayPal yet? Please try
    Originally posted by Moogles44
    You didn't read my post.

As a high volume seller you should look at Royal Mail Tracked. It is what we use for about 70% of our business.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 8th Oct 17, 6:00 PM
    • 11,382 Posts
    • 7,651 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    I have though. I've won many cases with that exact scenario . Ebay say , yes I can see through tracking you posted item on time and I can see they tried to deliver and it's at their post office.

I swear I have won many cases with item still being at their local post office and not actually with the buyer, I've been selling about 7 years at least and I never have lost one case where this is the case.
    You won't win an INR on "posted on time". I think we are talking at cross purposes. You will only win it if our "proof of delivery" shows as delivered.
    • Moogles44
    • By Moogles44 8th Oct 17, 8:51 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Moogles44
    You didn't read my post.

As a high volume seller you should look at Royal Mail Tracked. It is what we use for about 70% of our business.
    To get it collected though isn't there a fee? I looked into something like that before but it had a cost with it? Maybe I looked at something different on their site?
    • Moogles44
    • By Moogles44 8th Oct 17, 8:55 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Moogles44
    You won't win an INR on "posted on time". I think we are talking at cross purposes. You will only win it if our "proof of delivery" shows as delivered.
    I just threw that bit in there about posting on time as that's what I often have to prove.

Items, even if left at post office awaiting collection from buyer, always have got the INR closed in my favour . I've had to do it many times over the years.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 8th Oct 17, 10:17 PM
    • 59,567 Posts
    • 42,256 Thanks
    soolin
    I just threw that bit in there about posting on time as that's what I often have to prove.

Items, even if left at post office awaiting collection from buyer, always have got the INR closed in my favour . I've had to do it many times over the years.
    You are very unique, there are sellers who would pay to know how you can win INRs without proof of delivery. It is against both eBay and PayPal terms and conditions, on PayPal for instance you need to show not only that item was delivered, but it went within 7 days to the address given by PayPal , so in other words it is not delivered if at a post office waiting collection.

I'm a small seller , currently only doing about 250 items a month , I'm TRS as well and I certainly can't win an INR with proof of posting or tracking showing the parcel is somewhere else.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • soolin
    • By soolin 8th Oct 17, 10:20 PM
    • 59,567 Posts
    • 42,256 Thanks
    soolin
    http://pages.ebay.co.uk/ebay-money-back-guarantee/index.html

We want you to shop hassle-free on eBay.
    Most purchases go through with no problems at all. However, if your item doesn’t arrive or wasn’t what was described in the listing:
    We’ll make sure that you get the item you ordered; or
    You’ll be refunded the purchase price and original postage costs if you paid using PayPal.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Moogles44
    • By Moogles44 8th Oct 17, 11:33 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Moogles44
    You are very unique, there are sellers who would pay to know how you can win INRs without proof of delivery. It is against both eBay and PayPal terms and conditions, on PayPal for instance you need to show not only that item was delivered, but it went within 7 days to the address given by PayPal , so in other words it is not delivered if at a post office waiting collection.

I'm a small seller , currently only doing about 250 items a month , I'm TRS as well and I certainly can't win an INR with proof of posting or tracking showing the parcel is somewhere else.
    Originally posted by soolin
    That's so strange . It must pay to ring them then and talk to someone as I win every time I ring them and get them to check tracking , even if it's at the buyers post office. And like I say , it's honestly happened many times.
    I must be getting the ones that haven't read the eBay policy
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 9th Oct 17, 7:20 AM
    • 11,382 Posts
    • 7,651 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    To get it collected though isn't there a fee? I looked into something like that before but it had a cost with it? Maybe I looked at something different on their site?
    There is no fee, it comes free with Tracked.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 9th Oct 17, 7:44 AM
    • 59,567 Posts
    • 42,256 Thanks
    soolin
    That's so strange . It must pay to ring them then and talk to someone as I win every time I ring them and get them to check tracking , even if it's at the buyers post office. And like I say , it's honestly happened many times.
    I must be getting the ones that haven't read the eBay policy
    The only other thing is whether or not the cross purposes are that you refund on a non collected item- so don't 'win' the case but actually stop it when the refund is issued. I have 'won' cases in that instance as the refund automatically closes the case in sellers favour.
    If you don't refund and buyer is left without goods or money then this is a dangerous situation and I suspect if it gets out that buyers can lose money and not receive their goods then people would stay away from ebay in droves- I certainly would hesitate to buy anything where the site was not legally compliant. I know I could go to small claims to force a refund for goods not delivered, but who wants to do that if this becomes commonplace?
    New to Forum? Guide
    • custardy
    • By custardy 9th Oct 17, 7:54 AM
    • 32,760 Posts
    • 27,480 Thanks
    custardy
    I have proof of delivery with them all? Ebay see item went to buyer or their local post office if they were not home to sign for it and I win case.

Apparently they get sent to Ireland after to be sorted back to sender so there is a big gap while they are being returned back if buyer still doesn't collect item. I then message buyer and they repay post and I repost again as they never collected it.

I will be so interested in how this case goes above. I bet you anything ebay do nothing but paypal do . Please OP try eBay again . I'll eat my hat if they do the right thing
    They will if you arent putting a return address?
    • Moogles44
    • By Moogles44 9th Oct 17, 9:39 AM
    • 137 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Moogles44
    They will if you arent putting a return address?
    Originally posted by custardy
    Always put return address as it's on the PayPal labels. That's how I get them back to me.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 9th Oct 17, 10:42 AM
    • 32,760 Posts
    • 27,480 Thanks
    custardy
    Always put return address as it's on the PayPal labels. That's how I get them back to me.
    Then they dont go via Ireland.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

277Posts Today

1,114Users online

Martin's Twitter