Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sabz3008
    • By sabz3008 4th Oct 17, 11:42 PM
    • 256Posts
    • 173Thanks
    sabz3008
    'Misfuel' - Misdiagnosis? Who is to blame?
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:42 PM
    'Misfuel' - Misdiagnosis? Who is to blame? 4th Oct 17 at 11:42 PM
    Hoping somebody can help!...

I bought a used VW Golf on the Das Welt Auto used car scheme about a month ago. I broke down last Saturday so I called VW Assist (they sent out the AA).

The AA patrol diagnosed it as 'misfuel' saying there is petrol in the tank. He said it will need to be recovered to a VW garage but won't be covered under warranty and may well be expensive, but that the AA fuel drainage service won't come out because the car has been driven. I was 100% certain I did not put petrol in the car - I had filled up just 3 miles / 20 mins before breaking down at a Shell garage, so I telephoned them and they checked CCTV and had a copy of my receipt confirming I did fill it with diesel!

I called a company called Fuel-Fix to come out, they drained the tank and then told me I need something called 'Sysco HQ Gold' engine treatment, all costing £680.80! (£419+VAT for the 'treatment' and £140 + VAT for call-out)

Then, I get going for about 0.8 miles and break down AGAIN. I had to call the AA to recover, the patrol couldn't diagnose what was wrong with it so it was recovered to VW.

The VW garage was very quick to sort it out and replaced a faulty fuel pump under the VW used car warranty. I did tell them what VW Assist / the AA said about misfuel, but they could find no evidence of petrol and said it wouldn't have been covered under warranty if they did.

I've complained to Shell who is investigating, but now I'm thinking perhaps the AA misdiagnosed it and Fuel-Fix pulled a fast one (Yes, I've been told £680.80 is extremely excessive - I don't even know what this Sysco HQ Gold is!).

Also VW told me it would be impossible for me to put petrol in the car as the nozzle wouldn't go in as the car has a misfuel prevention device installed.

I'm fuming is an understatement... But, who is responsible?!

- Shell? (the AA and Fuel-Fix say it's mis-fuel - & unfortunately, I didn't ask for a sample of the 'contaminated fuel' to be kept - was too stressed from waiting around all day broken down on a busy road)
    - The AA / VW Assist?
    - Fuel Fix?

Very grateful for any input!
Page 2
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 5th Oct 17, 10:48 PM
    • 15,292 Posts
    • 13,632 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Petrol station close to me a few years ago had a delivery of fuel and they put petrol in the diesil tank and alot of people had serious issues and sued them for it etc
    Originally posted by Muscle750
    Yes, quite. If the tanks had been misfuelled, the roads around would be littered with dead cars. They weren't.
    • missile
    • By missile 5th Oct 17, 11:04 PM
    • 8,952 Posts
    • 4,337 Thanks
    missile
    Not really.
    Damaged fuel pump is exactly what a midfield would cause and pretty quickly also if high concentration
    Originally posted by arcon5
    Absolute BS. Are you the AA man per chance?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 5th Oct 17, 11:59 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    debtdebt
    http://www.syscohq.com/products.html

Sounds like a load of cr4p to me. You're the only one to blame if you paid £419 plus vat for a fuel treatment.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 6th Oct 17, 8:16 AM
    • 13,047 Posts
    • 8,278 Thanks
    arcon5
    Absolute BS. Are you the AA man per chance?
    Originally posted by missile
    No I'm a mechanic and no for a fact petrol I a diesel will easily wipe out a pump and often injectors also!

Your obviously not mechanically minded since you don't seem to be able to link a fuel pump failure and wrong fuel.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 6th Oct 17, 8:25 AM
    • 1,336 Posts
    • 924 Thanks
    Tarambor
    No I'm a mechanic and no for a fact petrol I a diesel will easily wipe out a pump and often injectors also!

Your obviously not mechanically minded since you don't seem to be able to link a fuel pump failure and wrong fuel.
    Not after 3 miles when it is still running on the fuel in the filter and injector lines.

Yours sincerely, a qualified and time served mechanic who can spell simple four letter words.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 6th Oct 17, 10:11 AM
    • 1,933 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    Stoke
    The problem with all this, is that (imo), the OP took the big decision to listen to the AA and these fuel fix monkeys. It's not always easy to think when your stressed and things are going wrong, but in reality, the solution would have been to tow it back to VW.

I don't see how the AA or the fuel fix guys are even at fault and good luck getting VW to pay for a pump when you've thrown in some weird snake oil.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 6th Oct 17, 11:08 AM
    • 13,047 Posts
    • 8,278 Thanks
    arcon5
    Not after 3 miles when it is still running on the fuel in the filter and injector lines.

Yours sincerely, a qualified and time served mechanic who can spell simple four letter words.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    You obviously don't have a clue how a fuel system works.
    It doesn't just utilise fuel in the lines and replenish at a steady rate like a petrol, it's constantly changing and circulating. Fuel pressure is constantly changing based on the demands. Thus pressure constantly released and increased based on engine speed, throttle position etc etc. The flow also aids cooling.

Your obviously not very knowledgeable so do your ow research before spouting rubbish.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 6th Oct 17, 11:11 AM
    • 13,047 Posts
    • 8,278 Thanks
    arcon5

Originally posted by Tarambor
    Lol nice one
    • missile
    • By missile 6th Oct 17, 11:12 AM
    • 8,952 Posts
    • 4,337 Thanks
    missile

There is no way petrol mixed with diesel would cause failure of pump and injectors within 3 miles. You should get a job with AA
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 6th Oct 17, 3:21 PM
    • 1,074 Posts
    • 582 Thanks
    wongataa
    You obviously don't have a clue how a fuel system works.
    It doesn't just utilise fuel in the lines and replenish at a steady rate like a petrol, it's constantly changing and circulating. Fuel pressure is constantly changing based on the demands. Thus pressure constantly released and increased based on engine speed, throttle position etc etc. The flow also aids cooling.

Your obviously not very knowledgeable so do your ow research before spouting rubbish.
    Petrol engine systems work the same way as you describe too. The fuel pump is constantly pump a lot of fuel out of the tank. A pressure regulator keeps the fuel line pressure at the correct level. As the injectors only deliver small quantities of fuel at a time the pump is delivery way more fuel than is required to power the vehicle. The excess fuel is sent back to the fuel tank.
    • esmerobbo
    • By esmerobbo 6th Oct 17, 4:28 PM
    • 4,667 Posts
    • 6,140 Thanks
    esmerobbo
    Petrol engine systems work the same way as you describe too. The fuel pump is constantly pump a lot of fuel out of the tank. A pressure regulator keeps the fuel line pressure at the correct level. As the injectors only deliver small quantities of fuel at a time the pump is delivery way more fuel than is required to power the vehicle. The excess fuel is sent back to the fuel tank.
    Originally posted by wongataa
    A diesel engine has a high pressure pump common rail or an injection pump, mechanical injection some have a separate fuel delivery pump. Which supplies these pumps, both these types of pumps require lubrication which they get from the diesel. The delivery pump doesn't usually need lubrication however some lift pumps do.

Diesels also circulate fuel much faster then a petrol engine as they are running at very much higher pressure.

Running a diesel with no lubricant in the fuel (petrol) can damage the pump and the injectors, it would be unlucky to do it in such a short distance but I have seen it, last one I saw was a Rangerover got from Burtonwood services to the A49 turn off, less then 2 miles and killed the injection pump.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,605Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin