Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tim68
    • By Tim68 4th Oct 17, 11:18 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Tim68
    Debit card charge?
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:18 PM
    Debit card charge? 4th Oct 17 at 11:18 PM
    Hi, after some advice please. I have recently purchased a new kitchen and paid the bulk of it physically in the kitchen companies shop using their chip and pin machine via my Visa Debit card.

My understanding is debit cards do not incur the % charge often experienced with credit card transactions, but on receiving my final invoice for the outstanding amount they are trying to charge me 1.5% for the debit transaction. On the cost of the kitchen this about £250!

Now at no point did they inform me of this charge or I would have never used my debit card, but I would really like to get the facts on what they would actually incur for a visa debit transaction?

If any experts can advise I would be very grateful

Thanks

Tim
Page 1
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 4th Oct 17, 11:32 PM
    • 1,748 Posts
    • 1,060 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:32 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:32 PM
    They can charge what they like, but they should have told you about it first.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 5th Oct 17, 12:40 AM
    • 5,611 Posts
    • 5,451 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 5th Oct 17, 12:40 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 12:40 AM
    They can charge what they like, but they should have told you about it first.
    Originally posted by EarthBoy
    They can't charge what they like, they're only allowed to charge what it costs them!

However, the nub of the issue is obviously that it isn't practical for a customer to establish and/or verify the cost of taking payment by debit card, which will vary widely between businesses according to the terms of their agreement with their merchant services provider, i.e. you won't get a factual answer that the transaction cost them x%.

As I understand it, it used to be normal practice for such agreements to nominate a small fixed charge for debit cards and a (more significant) percentage for credit cards, but I believe that even debit card transaction fees often involve a percentage now, even though these are typically much lower than those for credit cards.

Are the card payment charges mentioned anywhere within their terms of business governing your contract with them, even if you hadn't seen these prior to paying?

Also, I don't know for sure but was under the impression that any such surcharge had to be added to the amount you explicitly authorise when paying, i.e. if they want to surcharge 1.5% on an in-store £10,000 payment then you need to be shown an amount of £10,150 on the pinpad, rather than this being added after the event. What does the machine-generated payment receipt say?
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 5th Oct 17, 12:01 PM
    • 4,146 Posts
    • 1,513 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 5th Oct 17, 12:01 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 12:01 PM
    debit cards generally cost around 60p to process, credit cards around 2.5%
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 5th Oct 17, 12:28 PM
    • 5,611 Posts
    • 5,451 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 5th Oct 17, 12:28 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 12:28 PM
    Originally posted by bengalknights
    But my point is that you can't meaningfully generalise like that, because merchants are charged not just variable amounts but variable charging structures.

In a recent thread on here, a poster who sounded like they were a small travel agent (and therefore potentially similar to a kitchen supplier in terms of low-volume high-value sales), stated that "We are charged 0.69080% for processing debit cards" which, while clearly lower than 1.5%, also bears no resemblance to 60p on a large sale.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 5th Oct 17, 5:41 PM
    • 874 Posts
    • 575 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:41 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:41 PM
    All of the above discussion is correct, however the key point here is that the OP wasn't informed of the charge prior to payment. That being the case the company have no basis for charging it, assuming of course that the charge genuinely wasn't mentioned anywhere in any paperwork that was signed or in any T&Cs that were provided.

It's also common practice for card fees to be charged when the payment is actually made, but it sounds like that didn't happen in this case and the fee is being charged after-the-fact, which is unusual.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 5th Oct 17, 5:51 PM
    • 24,100 Posts
    • 11,377 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:51 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:51 PM
    I thought that since last year debit cards can be % based as well as credit cards.
    Just look at any high street bank's business tariff (in particular card terminals etc).
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 5th Oct 17, 7:29 PM
    • 1,748 Posts
    • 1,060 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:29 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:29 PM
    They can't charge what they like, they're only allowed to charge what it costs them!
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    My mistake, I should have said they could charge "if" they like, not "what" they like.
    • Fingerbobs
    • By Fingerbobs 5th Oct 17, 10:51 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    Fingerbobs
    • 5th Oct 17, 10:51 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 10:51 PM
    Originally posted by bengalknights
    Wait, I thought these fees were capped at 0.2% and 0.3% for debit and credit cards respectively now?
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 5th Oct 17, 10:59 PM
    • 29,447 Posts
    • 17,230 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    Wait, I thought these fees were capped at 0.2% and 0.3% for debit and credit cards respectively now?
    Originally posted by Fingerbobs
    Those are the caps on the interchange fees, which are not the only costs involved in taking payment by card.

Further changes coming in January 2018, when you won't know how much you've paid...but you can be sure it will be the same or more than it is now!
    • Fingerbobs
    • By Fingerbobs 5th Oct 17, 11:07 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    Fingerbobs
    Those are the caps on the interchange fees, which are not the only costs involved in taking payment by card.
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    I acknowledge there are other costs, but aren't these other costs flat-rate? I thought the interchange fees were the only per-transaction costs?
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 6th Oct 17, 1:14 AM
    • 10,339 Posts
    • 6,637 Thanks
    bigadaj
    I acknowledge there are other costs, but aren't these other costs flat-rate? I thought the interchange fees were the only per-transaction costs?
    Originally posted by Fingerbobs
    They are the costs in taking that particular payment, could be fixed or variable.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 6th Oct 17, 1:18 AM
    • 10,339 Posts
    • 6,637 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Hi, after some advice please. I have recently purchased a new kitchen and paid the bulk of it physically in the kitchen companies shop using their chip and pin machine via my Visa Debit card.

My understanding is debit cards do not incur the % charge often experienced with credit card transactions, but on receiving my final invoice for the outstanding amount they are trying to charge me 1.5% for the debit transaction. On the cost of the kitchen this about £250!

Now at no point did they inform me of this charge or I would have never used my debit card, but I would really like to get the facts on what they would actually incur for a visa debit transaction?

If any experts can advise I would be very grateful

Thanks

Tim
    Originally posted by Tim68
    Was the additional cost of the debit card included explicitly in the payment, were you advised of this before payment; if not then that's an unauthorised transaction and you can get the fees reimbursed.

For a circa £20000 payment on a kitchen I'd certainly want to pay at least part on credit card for the section 75 cover, most businesses would typically charge for credit cards but not debit. So I'd try and put a deposit for small value on a credit card and pay the balance by debit, the supplier doesn't sound too trustworthy from the limited information you've given.
    • bris
    • By bris 6th Oct 17, 8:23 PM
    • 6,937 Posts
    • 5,957 Thanks
    bris
    When I had a proper merchants account it cost me 26p for debit cards and 1.5% for credit cards.

Although it is highly unlikely they could have one of those mobile contracts such as Izettle that charge a percentage for both credit and debit cards but it's usually about 3.75% on a sliding scale depending on how much the turnover.

It's also probable they have missed the charge in the T&C's, but that doesn't make it right.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

199Posts Today

1,493Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin