Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cashinpocket
    • By cashinpocket 4th Oct 17, 10:58 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    cashinpocket
    Been making overpayments without knowing - help please
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:58 PM
    Been making overpayments without knowing - help please 4th Oct 17 at 10:58 PM
    Hi, I've just discovered that I have been overpaying into my mortgage without knowing. It's a bit confusing but I was told an amount I had to pay every month and took it that this was right, I've now found out I've been overpaying by £60 per month. They have told me that I can lift this if I want but my argument is that we have been struggling through a period of unemployment a few years ago and that we didn't know that we were overpaying. I'm livid about this - just the fact they told me this was the minimum I could pay each month but it wasn't as the extra was being put aside but we knew nothing about this.
    Sorry if this is a bit confusin. They are saying that the money was there to be lifted when we wanted - I'm saying why are you charging us more than you need to - especially when we needed it a few years ago and knew nothing of this happening. I honestly cant understand it - can anyone help? I am applying to the ombudsman but had to complain to them first and they are acting stupid. Thanks
Page 1
    • Jenniefour
    • By Jenniefour 4th Oct 17, 11:35 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    Jenniefour
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:35 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:35 PM
    When you say you were "told" do you mean that the amount you have been paying monthly, which included the £60, is on your paperwork?
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 5th Oct 17, 9:01 AM
    • 36,062 Posts
    • 151,660 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:01 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:01 AM
    Any complaint if upheld would put you back in the situation before the error occurred. They are offering you the return of the extra paid, so I don't know what else it is you want from them.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 5th Oct 17, 9:03 AM
    • 15,161 Posts
    • 37,997 Thanks
    elsien
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:03 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:03 AM
    Did your annual statement not show the overpayments?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • obay
    • By obay 5th Oct 17, 9:12 AM
    • 339 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    obay
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:12 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:12 AM
    How many months of £60 extra was you paying?
    How long is your mortgage term?
    How much did you borrow and when?

I would not claim this back, I'd keep it in the mortgage.
    1/12/16 - £152,599.00
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 5th Oct 17, 9:17 AM
    • 14,009 Posts
    • 75,374 Thanks
    GDB2222
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:17 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:17 AM
    Any complaint if upheld would put you back in the situation before the error occurred. They are offering you the return of the extra paid, so I don't know what else it is you want from them.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    The OP is saying that the value to him of the £60 when paid was higher than £60 now, and he wants some compensation for that. In practice, the Ombudsman won’t take that into account, except possibly awarding a small amount for hurt feelings.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 5th Oct 17, 9:22 AM
    • 284 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:22 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:22 AM
    How did you not realise you were making overpayments?

In any case, if you want to recoup it, you should be able to pay less for a month/few months until you are back to normal...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,388Posts Today

7,799Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin