Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 4th Oct 17, 10:01 PM
    • 4,856Posts
    • 9,176Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Halifax share dealing query
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:01 PM
    Halifax share dealing query 4th Oct 17 at 10:01 PM
    Has anyone else had difficulty buying units in the Artemis monthly distribution income fund?

I purchased £30k of units in mine and my husband did the same earlier on in the year. Never had a problem buying fund units before but for some reason we could not purchase these in the normal dealing manner and ended up having to phone up and purchase them over the phone.

I have just tried again to purchase £20k in the same fund and it came up with the same message to say they could not complete the transaction and to phone Halifax Share dealing. I have at the same time purchased units in Premier multi asset monthly income with no difficulty at all.

Any ideas as to why this should be an issue? The Halifax share dealing help line could not understand it in August either but went to great pains to say we should not be buying over the phone, as if we had a choice. I may actually give up on purchasing this particular fund through Halifax because of these difficulties.
    1 week to go until early retirement. Debt free and mortgage free.

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • Audaxer
    • By Audaxer 4th Oct 17, 10:24 PM
    • 657 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    Audaxer
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:24 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:24 PM
    I have that fund as part of my income portfolio and had no trouble buying units online, but it is not with Halifax Share Dealing. Can't think why there should have been a problem.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 4th Oct 17, 10:28 PM
    • 4,856 Posts
    • 9,176 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:28 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:28 PM
    I have that fund as part of my income portfolio and had no trouble buying units online, but it is not with Halifax Share Dealing. Can't think why there should have been a problem.
    Originally posted by Audaxer
    I am at a loss too. We had no problem selecting it on the dealing screen but as soon as I tried to confirm the purchase it comes up with an error message. Once I can understand (even the Halifax share dealing team tried and failed to complete the purchase on line) but to have the same issue 3 months later is just annoying. Only that fund. I don't want to have to move platforms just because of that though.

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Audaxer
    • By Audaxer 4th Oct 17, 10:37 PM
    • 657 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    Audaxer
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:37 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:37 PM
    I am at a loss too. We had no problem selecting it on the dealing screen but as soon as I tried to confirm the purchase it comes up with an error message. Once I can understand (even the Halifax share dealing team tried and failed to complete the purchase on line) but to have the same issue 3 months later is just annoying. Only that fund. I don't want to have to move platforms just because of that though.
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver
    Did they charge you the telephone rate for the purchase, as I think that is at least double or more than the £12.50 online charge?

I have my VLS funds through Halifax, but decided to go through a different broker for the income portfolio. Just received my first dividend on the Artemis fund which was nice.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 4th Oct 17, 10:46 PM
    • 4,856 Posts
    • 9,176 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:46 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:46 PM
    Did they charge you the telephone rate for the purchase, as I think that is at least double or more than the £12.50 online charge?

I have my VLS funds through Halifax, but decided to go through a different broker for the income portfolio. Just received my first dividend on the Artemis fund which was nice.
    No they charged just the £12.50 as it was not our fault we could not purchase on line.

We have our VLS funds in our Halifax stocks and shares isas and have no issues with buying units with them. We have not had our first dividend on Artemis yet as we just missed date when we bought them in August. I think we should get our first at the beginning of November.

• Audaxer
    • By Audaxer 4th Oct 17, 11:03 PM
    • 657 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    Audaxer
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:03 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:03 PM
    That's good regarding the charge.

I remember I had a problem accessing the Halifax Funds Centre page in that it said on my browser that the security certificate was out of date. I think maybe that their Artemis fund page could be out of date.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 4th Oct 17, 11:39 PM
    • 4,856 Posts
    • 9,176 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:39 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:39 PM
    I am wondering if it is worth emailing them and letting them know there is an issue. If the fund page is out of date presumably someone should do something about that. Thanks for help.

• Audaxer
    • By Audaxer 5th Oct 17, 8:47 AM
    • 657 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    Audaxer
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:47 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:47 AM
    I am wondering if it is worth emailing them and letting them know there is an issue. If the fund page is out of date presumably someone should do something about that. Thanks for help.
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver
    I have just tried to get into the Funds page this morning and it worked okay, but when I previously tried to get into via a shortcut I had, I always used to get a warning not to enter as the security certificate was out-of-date.

The other thing I've found poor with Halifax SD website is that when I sign in to look at the latest value of my own VLS funds, the price shown is always 2 days old, so to see the current value (price as at end of the previous day) I have to look at another broker's website - usually HL.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 5th Oct 17, 9:55 AM
    • 4,856 Posts
    • 9,176 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:55 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:55 AM
    I have just tried to get into the Funds page this morning and it worked okay, but when I previously tried to get into via a shortcut I had, I always used to get a warning not to enter as the security certificate was out-of-date.

The other thing I've found poor with Halifax SD website is that when I sign in to look at the latest value of my own VLS funds, the price shown is always 2 days old, so to see the current value (price as at end of the previous day) I have to look at another broker's website - usually HL.
    Yes I noticed that about the valuation being old. I was with Fidelity via Cavendish before HSDL but once my portfolio reached a certain level a flat fee platform worked out cheaper. I like the Fidelity platform better. Never looked at HL as put off by cost but I guess using it just for valuation is ok. I am trying to get away from checking too often though.

I have messaged HSDL re my issue with Artemis so maybe get a response. Thanks for responding.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

504Posts Today

3,673Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin