Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sooty&sweep
    • By sooty&sweep 4th Oct 17, 9:53 PM
    • 1,176Posts
    • 1,381Thanks
    sooty&sweep
    Tiles or Shower Panels ?
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:53 PM
    Tiles or Shower Panels ? 4th Oct 17 at 9:53 PM
    Hi

We're currently having our house refurbished & we need to sort out two showers.

I'd originally intended to use waterproof bathroom panels as I was happy with the look & I thought they'd work out cheaper & easier.

The initial price I've got is roughly £500 per shower, supply only of the panels & trims and we'd have to fit them ourselves. I can get the price down to roughly £300 if I use the cheaper trade boards. They would still be mdf/marine ply backed.
    That's not too bad but does mean that I have to compromise on the pattern.

However it's got me thinking Is my initial assumption that they'd work out cheaper correct ? Should I go for tiles instead?

Any advice on bathroom panels v tiles ?

Any idea on the going price for tiling a shower cubicle ?

Cheers

Jen
Page 1
    • JuzaMum
    • By JuzaMum 5th Oct 17, 9:19 AM
    • 215 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    JuzaMum
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:19 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:19 AM
    I am looking at shower panels too.
    https://www.panelcompany.co.uk
    This company seem very competitively priced and will send out samples.
    • andyhop
    • By andyhop 5th Oct 17, 11:24 AM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 964 Thanks
    andyhop
    • 5th Oct 17, 11:24 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 11:24 AM
    A quality porcelain tile every time. Correctly fitted on a tanked substrate will easily do 30yrs

Wet wall is for the unskilled trades and the customers who want a quick cheap patch . Why anyone would want to clad there walls or ceiling in this stuff puzzles me
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
    • JuzaMum
    • By JuzaMum 5th Oct 17, 11:26 AM
    • 215 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    JuzaMum
    • 5th Oct 17, 11:26 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 11:26 AM
    Why anyone would want to clad there walls or ceiling in this stuff puzzles me
    Originally posted by andyhop
    Because I want a to live in a world with no grout to clean.
    • andyhop
    • By andyhop 5th Oct 17, 11:55 AM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 964 Thanks
    andyhop
    • 5th Oct 17, 11:55 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 11:55 AM
    A good grout from mapei , sealed with unvivseal will not need scrubbing

I’m always covered in crap from other people’s bathroms , yet my bathroom is sparkly clean

It has the right materials for the job

Your right that laminate boards don’t need cleaning , but at the same time the silicone used to seal the joints also doesn’t stick well
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
    • sooty&sweep
    • By sooty&sweep 5th Oct 17, 6:30 PM
    • 1,176 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    sooty&sweep
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:30 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:30 PM
    Thanks All
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,496Posts Today

6,860Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin