Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • simon4amiee
    • By simon4amiee 4th Oct 17, 9:39 PM
    • 136Posts
    • 30Thanks
    simon4amiee
    Lighting gone and no lights for 3 weeks
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:39 PM
    Lighting gone and no lights for 3 weeks 4th Oct 17 at 9:39 PM
    Hi all, sorry if sound dumb but really unsure as to what the crack is. We rent a flat and was ok at first but systematically the lighting went in each room on one side of the flat. Initially the first one started flickering then went off, this went on for days/weeks until no lighting in the hallway, then the same issue seemed to move to the the next room and so on until 4 of the rooms no longer have lighting. We didnt want to cause a fuss as still had lighting in living room and bedroom, kitchen so managed. 3 weeks ago the ktchen light blew up and the fuse went so checked out the fuse box (i had spare fuses). all the fuses had trip switches except the lighting which had a fuse in it so removed it and took it to the local electrical store to replace it only for them to say these fuses are too small and no longer in general retail use, they said its probably an old fuse box. I contacted the agency on behalf of our landlard and had a contractor out whosaid the whole lighting needs replacing and a new fuse box installing. I was told the quote was expensive so they are getting another quote, however its now 3 weeks with no lighting other than plub in lights ive bought and candles, and 4 year old scared to go to bathroom as no lights. We will manage as you do but as the nights are getting darker now its getting really tough to bath, cook etc without lighting. Wondered if there is anything I can say or do to speed the process up. ps I hate complaining but with a wife angry and a scared 4 year old girl feel I need to at least ask,TIA!
Page 1
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 4th Oct 17, 9:52 PM
    • 3,882 Posts
    • 2,411 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:52 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:52 PM
    Time to consider another house perhaps with the agency/LL not really bothered about your problem, I hope your nearing your contract
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 4th Oct 17, 9:55 PM
    • 3,887 Posts
    • 5,305 Thanks
    kinger101
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:55 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:55 PM
    The property should have adequate lighting by law. Electrical systems should also be safe. I'd write to the landlord at the address for serving notices, saying they have fallen below the legal standard for the last three weeks, and you expect to hear within 48 hours how this will be remedied.

Don't communicate with the letting agent. The only use they could possibly be is using their cheap nylon suit as a source of static electricity.
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 5th Oct 17, 8:59 AM
    • 849 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    saajan_12
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:59 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:59 AM
    Hi all, sorry if sound dumb but really unsure as to what the crack is. We rent a flat and was ok at first but systematically the lighting went in each room on one side of the flat. Initially the first one started flickering then went off, this went on for days/weeks until no lighting in the hallway, then the same issue seemed to move to the the next room and so on until 4 of the rooms no longer have lighting. -
    what was the cause of all this? replacing lightbulbs / fuses woudl be your responsibility as consumables but once you ruled those out why didn't you go to the LL then to get the electrics checked?
    We didnt want to cause a fuss as still had lighting in living room and bedroom, kitchen so managed. 3 weeks ago the ktchen light blew up and the fuse went so checked out the fuse box (i had spare fuses). all the fuses had trip switches - did flipping the trip switches work for the lights with them? except the lighting which had a fuse in it so removed it and took it to the local electrical store to replace it only for them to say these fuses are too small and no longer in general retail use, they said its probably an old fuse box. - that doesn't make it unsafe, just discontinued.. I contacted the agency on behalf of our landlard and had a contractor out whosaid the whole lighting needs replacing and a new fuse box installing. I was told the quote was expensive so they are getting another quote, however its now 3 weeks - so go back for an update with no lighting other than plub in lights ive bought and candles, and 4 year old scared to go to bathroom as no lights. We will manage as you do but as the nights are getting darker now its getting really tough to bath, cook etc without lighting. Wondered if there is anything I can say or do to speed the process up. ps I hate complaining but with a wife angry and a scared 4 year old girl feel I need to at least ask,TIA!
    Originally posted by simon4amiee
    You need to figure out the issue with the other lights.. did flip switches solve the issue? Keep on the LA/LL, sounds like they are trying to solve the issue but being slow about it.
    • aneary
    • By aneary 5th Oct 17, 9:32 AM
    • 619 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    aneary
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:32 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:32 AM
    You need to figure out the issue with the other lights.. did flip switches solve the issue? Keep on the LA/LL, sounds like they are trying to solve the issue but being slow about it.
    Originally posted by saajan_12
    The OP said all the fuses had trip switches EXCEPT THE LIGHTING.
    • simon4amiee
    • By simon4amiee 5th Oct 17, 5:20 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    simon4amiee
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:20 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 5:20 PM
    Originally posted by saajan_12
    The lights were flickering and going out on their own without tripping anything, they just ceased to work even after changing bulbs. The fuse has a trip switches on all but the lighting which has a small fuse no longer on retail sale. It was only when the 4th room lights went which blew the bulb and subsequent fuse in the box, i tried replacing both wasnt sold anymore at the electrical store. Even if it did it would have only restored the lights which did work.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 5th Oct 17, 6:50 PM
    • 41,478 Posts
    • 47,870 Thanks
    G_M
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:50 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:50 PM
    Write to tthe LL at the address provided giving full dettails of when each problem arose, when and how reported etc. Send it to the LL by post to the address provided for serving notices.

send a copy to the agent.

Ask fr a timescale for an electrician to visit within the next few days.

Now read:

* Repairing Obligations: the law, common misconceptions, reporting/enforcing, retaliatory eviction & the new tenant protection (2015)
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 5th Oct 17, 7:08 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 4,052 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:08 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:08 PM
    I just love the typo landlard.

I've definitely had one of these.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

160Posts Today

1,665Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin