Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Diesel44
    • By Diesel44 4th Oct 17, 9:03 PM
    • 591Posts
    • 492Thanks
    Diesel44
    BT line fixed to fascia of our house needs moving
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:03 PM
    BT line fixed to fascia of our house needs moving 4th Oct 17 at 9:03 PM
    We are having our facias and soffits replaced, but our BT line is fixed to the fascia and needs moving.
    On investigation, appears I have to contact Open Reach to book to have the line moved onto the brickwork at a cost of about £127.
    Wednesday winge..........
    1) In the past we have rented a house and jobs were done by the landlord at no extra cost to us, our monthly rental covered this.
    2) Is this not covered in my BT monthly line rental ?
    3) I presume it was BT or equivalent who put the line bracket onto the wooden fascia to start with and not on the brickwork (1960's) house.
    4) Installing the line bracket on wood and not brickwork in my eyes is negligence on their part but i have to pay.

Ok winge over, are my points valid ?
    Last edited by Diesel44; 04-10-2017 at 9:04 PM. Reason: Wrong day
Page 1
    • docmatt
    • By docmatt 4th Oct 17, 9:12 PM
    • 759 Posts
    • 370 Thanks
    docmatt
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:12 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:12 PM
    Yes that's right and £127 is right. Most decent fascia fitters move the BT wire for you or simply put it back against the new pvcu fascia. They do it all the time making sure the screws go into a rafter.

However the proper way to do it is to notify BT and get them to do it, which is what you've done.

I'm sure there is enough profit in the company's job for them to squeeze you a small discount of £127
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 4th Oct 17, 9:17 PM
    • 2,333 Posts
    • 2,869 Thanks
    ceredigion
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:17 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:17 PM
    In my commercial life, would undo it ,tie to the scaf and put back when finished.
    • Diesel44
    • By Diesel44 4th Oct 17, 9:26 PM
    • 591 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    Diesel44
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:26 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:26 PM
    To be fair to the company doing the job, the cable belongs to BT / Open Reach or who ever.
    If it gets damaged I could end up paying more Or claiming back off the company.
    I suppose they need to cover their backs.
    • thebaldwindowfitter
    • By thebaldwindowfitter 4th Oct 17, 10:22 PM
    • 1,433 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    thebaldwindowfitter
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:22 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:22 PM
    We have moved 100s for customers on the proviso that if anything happens we are not responsible never had a problem in 29 years
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 5th Oct 17, 7:28 AM
    • 23,330 Posts
    • 88,941 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:28 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:28 AM
    So far as I'm aware, there isn't much to break. Even the master socket in my house seems a very simple affair. During extreme renovations, I had to move my office 4 times, so that would have been over £500 in BT's coffers if I'd followed correct procedures.....

Following those, it took me well over a year to get them to shift a telegraph pole, but that was one job that seemed rather tricky to DIY!
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,644Posts Today

6,895Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin