Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 4th Oct 17, 8:52 PM
    • 19,581Posts
    • 31,621Thanks
    Spendless
    MOTs
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:52 PM
    MOTs 4th Oct 17 at 8:52 PM
    Unable to find my current MOT certificate, I discovered an online service that told me it's due date (mid November). I popped into the garage that carried out the MOT last year and asked when the earliest was I could have the MOT done and preserve the Nov date. I was told that this is no longer possible, that if the car failed its MOT I wouldn't be able to drive on it's last years MOT. Is this correct? I work 10 miles from home in the sticks and it would be difficult to be reliant on public transport in the event of a failure on the day. I can't find anything about this change on-line.
Page 2
    • takman
    • By takman 5th Oct 17, 12:42 PM
    • 2,720 Posts
    • 2,273 Thanks
    takman
    Isn't that why you are allowed to get it checked early so if any work needs to be done you can take it elsewhere to be done?
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    The reason your are allowed to get it check a month before and preserve the expiry is so that you MOT date doesn't get earlier and earlier each year if you have it done before. If this didn't happen everyone would be leaving it to the last minute to get it done so they get a full 12 months.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 7th Oct 17, 1:21 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 1,469 Thanks
    footyguy
    Unable to find my current MOT certificate, I discovered an online service that told me it's due date (mid November). I popped into the garage that carried out the MOT last year and asked when the earliest was I could have the MOT done and preserve the Nov date. I was told that this is no longer possible, that if the car failed its MOT I wouldn't be able to drive on it's last years MOT. Is this correct? I work 10 miles from home in the sticks and it would be difficult to be reliant on public transport in the event of a failure on the day. I can't find anything about this change on-line.
    Originally posted by Spendless
    Oh that old chestnut.

But the answers are all online, as any quick google will indicate

An MOT lasts for a year. The date it runs out is printed on the last pass certificate.
    You can get an MOT up to a month (minus a day) before it runs out and keep the same renewal date.

You can get an MOT earlier, but the MOT renewal date for the following year will be different.
    https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot
    Driving a vehicle that’s failed

You can take your vehicle away if your MOT certificate is still valid.
    If your MOT has run out you can take your vehicle to:
    • have the failed defects fixed
    • a pre-arranged MOT test appointment
    In both cases, your vehicle still needs to meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times or you can be fined.
    https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

That final sentence is the important factor, as the reason for failure may deem the car unroadworthy.

Whats more, the MOT test is to verify annually (for vehicles of the prescribed age) that the "vehicle meets road safety and environmental standards" for the limited areas the test concentrates upon.
    It is not intended as a replacement of a routine inspection. A carefully maintained car will pass the test. If in any doubt, have your car inspected/serviced/repaired as soon as possible. An MOT test pass does not necessarily indicate a safe, roadworthy car.
    Last edited by footyguy; 07-10-2017 at 1:36 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,544Posts Today

9,339Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin