Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kev182
    • By kev182 4th Oct 17, 7:48 PM
    • 55Posts
    • 13Thanks
    kev182
    False debts - what harm can it do??
    • 4th Oct 17, 7:48 PM
    False debts - what harm can it do?? 4th Oct 17 at 7:48 PM
    Hello. First post in a while.

Hoping someone can be of help here. I received a letter to my old house ( I still own it but now rent it out) from a debt collection agency stating I owe them approximately £230 which they are collecting on behalf of another company who I had never heard of.

Rang the other company who confirmed I had a debt with them but not at either of my old or new address. For a ppi/bank account claim against Lloyds, I have never had a bank account with Lloyds or made a ppi/bank account claim against anyone.

I can only guess the debt collection agency have bought this debt belonging to someone else with the same name for pennies and have sent letters out to anyone in the area with the same name in the hope that 1 or more of us pay up.

What is the best course of action since I don't want my tenant receiving any more letters like this and certainly wouldn't want debt collectors rocking up at the door, whilst I could ring the company and tell them that the debt isn't mine and I have moved, I feel like giving them my phone number may mean i get pestered more and more.

I'm also concerned could this in anyway impact my credit score or get passed to bailiffs even though it is nothing to do with myself.
Page 1
    • Aristotle67
    • By Aristotle67 4th Oct 17, 8:03 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 690 Thanks
    Aristotle67
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:03 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:03 PM
    I would write a no-nonsense letter to the debt collection agency pointing out that the debt which they say you owe does not exist.

You can add that debt collection agencies have no power over and above anyone else and that they need a County Court Judgment before they can take any action. Invite them to apply for that if they wish and explain that they will be wasting their time and money as you will defend it with the simple and effective defence that the debt does not exist.

Point out that if you or your tenant receive any further correspondence in relation to this matter you will treat this as harassment and will take appropriate legal action against the agency.

These agencies rely on people's fear and insecurities in order to collect. They will not be able to do so with you.
    • kev182
    • By kev182 4th Oct 17, 8:22 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    kev182
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:22 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:22 PM
    Thanks that was pretty much the answer I was looking for.

Was just a bit dubious that by making contact they would gain personal information they didn't currently have. ( I am not even sure they have my first name or just my initial as the letter was to a Mr K xxxxxxxx). As unsure whether they follow these letters up or literally post thousands out per day to scare people who genuinely have debts and money problems into thinking it is something they need to pay.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 4th Oct 17, 8:32 PM
    • 8,640 Posts
    • 13,172 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:32 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:32 PM
    Happened to me, called them, explained it wasn't me although the name was correct, they were very pleasant and I never heard another thing.

I did check my credit file to see if there were any links to other addresses etc and all was fine.

Hope yours is as easy to sort as mine was.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

50Posts Today

3,537Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin