Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tipster1963
    • By Tipster1963 4th Oct 17, 6:57 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Tipster1963
    Reassure?Not so sure.
    • 4th Oct 17, 6:57 PM
    Reassure?Not so sure. 4th Oct 17 at 6:57 PM
    I have a life/critical illness policy with Reassure taken out in 1988. 3years ago I got a statement saying my premiums of £60 per month covered me for £92000.I have now received a letter from them saying that my premiums are going up to £158 per month for a coverage of £63000. I have rang them. They returned my call only for the lady to say they would ring me back. When she realised why I rang she couldn't get off the phone fast enough.2 weeks later and I have heard nothing. Should my next port of call be the ombudsman?
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 4th Oct 17, 7:03 PM
    • 14,354 Posts
    • 15,111 Thanks
    zx81
    • 4th Oct 17, 7:03 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 7:03 PM
    No. Contact them for an update.

However - what is it you want to ask them? And why would the Ombudsman get involved?
    • Tipster1963
    • By Tipster1963 4th Oct 17, 9:15 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tipster1963
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:15 PM
    Reassure? Not so sure.
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:15 PM
    They tried this three years ago and tried to get me to sign a document saying I would accept the drop in amount covered. I had to send the form back within 30days. Needless to say I didn't sign the papers, instead I put it in the hands of a financial advisor. Who got them to admit they were wrong . How many more people are they doing this to?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 4th Oct 17, 9:18 PM
    • 14,354 Posts
    • 15,111 Thanks
    zx81
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:18 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:18 PM
    I have no idea.

What are the terms of the policy?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 4th Oct 17, 9:22 PM
    • 89,853 Posts
    • 56,513 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:22 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:22 PM
    Should my next port of call be the ombudsman?
    Why do you think you should contact the ombudsman?

The ombudsman is an independent arbiter of complaints where you disagree with a response to a complaint by the firm. You dont get access to the FOS unless you have been through the complaints process.

Plans in the 80s are woefully obsolete compared to modern plans. They would often have an investment element and required you to hit the target growth rate to enable the premiums to remain the same. However, the target growth rates were based on 60s and 70s level growth and not the lower growth levels we see today. So, these plans inevitably go up in price (or you reduce the sum assured) every time they come up for reviews (usually every 5 years). If you are in good health, then its usually worth moving to a modern plan.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

229Posts Today

1,267Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin