Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 4th Oct 17, 6:22 PM
    • 6,317Posts
    • 11,344Thanks
    GlasweJen
    NHS AFC adoption leave query.
    • 4th Oct 17, 6:22 PM
    NHS AFC adoption leave query. 4th Oct 17 at 6:22 PM
    I currently work for a Scottish NHS board at band 3, I have 26 months service.

I've been offered a band 6 job in another health board subject to references (shouldn't be a problem).

The problem is that our surrogate is pregnant (first time, we were basically told that this wouldn't happen and it would take multiple shots to get this far).

If I accept this job and we adopt a baby in May/June 2018 would I still be entitled to full adoption leave?
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
Page 1
    • clairec79
    • By clairec79 4th Oct 17, 10:19 PM
    • 2,292 Posts
    • 6,189 Thanks
    clairec79
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:19 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:19 PM
    Admittedly this was maternity leave rather than the adoption that you asked about, however when someone I know was pregnant (very early) and changed health board/trust she was able to still get the maternity pay as there was no break in service.

Could you ring payroll/HR and ask
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 5th Oct 17, 4:40 PM
    • 7,409 Posts
    • 15,886 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:40 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:40 PM
    I can't answer your question Jen, but congratulations!
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 6th Oct 17, 6:44 PM
    • 6,317 Posts
    • 11,344 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:44 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:44 PM
    I can't answer your question Jen, but congratulations!
    Originally posted by kingfisherblue
    Thank you x
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    • MonkeyDr
    • By MonkeyDr 6th Oct 17, 8:50 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    MonkeyDr
    • 6th Oct 17, 8:50 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 8:50 PM
    Congratulations.

I think adoption leave is treated the same as maternity - it's continuous NHS employment that counts, regardless of what trust you are in.

http://www.nhsemployers.org/your-workforce/pay-and-reward/agenda-for-change/nhs-terms-and-conditions-of-service-handbook/parents-and-carers/adoption-leave-and-paysection-35

Note that that is for the occupational maternity pay. If you haven't worked for same employer for 26 weeks before you go off you won't be entitled to statutory maternity pay. This happens v frequently to doctors rotating between hospitals and isn't a big deal at all: you claim the same amount from the DWP instead in the form of maternity allowance. The form and process is straightforward. And actually it works out as worth a tiny bit more as you don't get taxed on the MA.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 6th Oct 17, 10:18 PM
    • 6,317 Posts
    • 11,344 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:18 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:18 PM
    Congratulations.

I think adoption leave is treated the same as maternity - it's continuous NHS employment that counts, regardless of what trust you are in.

http://www.nhsemployers.org/your-workforce/pay-and-reward/agenda-for-change/nhs-terms-and-conditions-of-service-handbook/parents-and-carers/adoption-leave-and-paysection-35

Note that that is for the occupational maternity pay. If you haven't worked for same employer for 26 weeks before you go off you won't be entitled to statutory maternity pay. This happens v frequently to doctors rotating between hospitals and isn't a big deal at all: you claim the same amount from the DWP instead in the form of maternity allowance. The form and process is straightforward. And actually it works out as worth a tiny bit more as you don't get taxed on the MA.
    Originally posted by MonkeyDr
    Thank you so much

NOT BUYING IT
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,398Posts Today

7,666Users online

Martin's Twitter