Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • One Five Four
    • By One Five Four 4th Oct 17, 6:06 PM
    • 56Posts
    • 30Thanks
    One Five Four
    Radiator leaked and flooded house - liability?
    • 4th Oct 17, 6:06 PM
    Radiator leaked and flooded house - liability? 4th Oct 17 at 6:06 PM
    Hello Folks,

A friend of mine had a (brand new) upstairs radiator supplied and fitted by a local plumber about three years ago. He guaranteed everything (parts and labour) for a year, and the radiator had a 10 year manufacturer's guarantee.

After 16 months, while my mate was away for a couple of days, the radiator developed a hole about 6mm diameter which flooded the house, running overnight until a neighbour who was keeping an eye on the place for him called in and found the disaster in progress. It did an awful lot of damage and they were out of the house for weeks afterwards.

It seems the radiator had a manufacturing fault. The plumber had added some stuff to the system ('Sentinel'?) when he fitted it that apparently prevents rusting.

My mate doesn't blame the plumber, but after 18 months of wrangling, the plumber has been sent a demand "under the Consumer Rights Act" by a "recoveries agency" for over £14,000.

Please can anyone advise if the plumber is actually liable for this, or should it be whoever he bought the radiator from, or the maker of it?

We assume it's not the plumber, of whom my mate speaks very highly (and still uses incidentally) but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks very much.
Page 2
    • One Five Four
    • By One Five Four 5th Oct 17, 1:46 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    One Five Four
    Thanks for the further replies. I gather now that the plumber has contacted his insurers who are looking into it.
    Last edited by One Five Four; 05-10-2017 at 1:49 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 5th Oct 17, 2:39 PM
    • 1,491 Posts
    • 3,127 Thanks
    IAmWales
    For the future, suggest that the plumber asks the customer to buy the goods themselves. He can tell them what to buy and suggest where to buy it, but then he is only liable for his workmanship, not the goods themselves.

A lot of tradesmen work on that basis now, it's far less burdensome.
    • thegasmon
    • By thegasmon 5th Oct 17, 8:47 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    thegasmon
    the radiator may have corroded due to the conditions of the heating system, many factors can cause corrosion, most times its poor system design and maintenance. I'm guessing the radiator is not available for testing?
    • One Five Four
    • By One Five Four 6th Oct 17, 11:11 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    One Five Four
    It's long gone I believe.

I'll leave this topic for now as it's all with the plumber's insurance, and try to update it when it's resolved one way or another. Thanks for all the help folks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

65Posts Today

3,076Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin