Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Al44
    • By Al44 4th Oct 17, 4:52 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Al44
    what information of mine will they ask for?
    • 4th Oct 17, 4:52 PM
    what information of mine will they ask for? 4th Oct 17 at 4:52 PM
    I recently witnessed a car accident and feel bad for the victim as it wasn't their fault. a crazy driver who wasn't paying attention to the road crashed into the back of them. I gave my phone number to the victim and want to help him.

I just wondered if anyone has ever acted as a witness in a similar situation?
    what will be asked of me? e.g with they ask for things like my national insurance number and address etc?

and will I be expected to go physically go into court to give evidence?

no one was seriously hurt or anything but the victim ended up with a badly damaged car
Page 1
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 4th Oct 17, 5:09 PM
    • 655 Posts
    • 335 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:09 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:09 PM
    I recently witnessed a car accident and feel bad for the victim as it wasn't their fault. a crazy driver who wasn't paying attention to the road crashed into the back of them. I gave my phone number to the victim and want to help him.

I just wondered if anyone has ever acted as a witness in a similar situation?
    what will be asked of me? They will want to obtain an account from you and possibly a written statement. e.g with they ask for things like my national insurance number No.and address etc? Yes.

and will I be expected to go physically go into court to give evidence? You may well be asked to attend.

no one was seriously hurt or anything but the victim ended up with a badly damaged car
    Originally posted by Al44
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 4th Oct 17, 5:14 PM
    • 2,454 Posts
    • 1,594 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:14 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:14 PM
    When I had a similar experience, I got a letter from the victim's insurer a few eeks afterwards asking me to complete a statement - basically a straightforward account of what I saw. They're looking for facts, not your opinion of who's to blame.

Obviously they'll have to 'phone you to get your name and address. I can't see any reason why they'd need your NI number, inside leg measurement, etc!

It's extremely unusual for these things to end up in court, especially if it's as clear-cut as you've described.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 4th Oct 17, 5:15 PM
    • 33,482 Posts
    • 17,361 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:15 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:15 PM
    Assuming you are not a psychiatrist (or if you are you didn't examine the driver), then don't comment on the driver's mental state, or assert who was to blame!

A witness is just that - you saw what happened, nothing else you add will help the driver you call the "victim"
    • ElefantEd
    • By ElefantEd 4th Oct 17, 5:38 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 1,028 Thanks
    ElefantEd
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:38 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:38 PM
    Also - write down what you saw and heard as soon as possible ie now, in readiness. Your memory will fade and become distorted over time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,745Posts Today

7,010Users online

Martin's Twitter