Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cardinal-Red
    • By Cardinal-Red 4th Oct 17, 4:46 PM
    • 645Posts
    • 145Thanks
    Cardinal-Red
    New Broadband Account - Difficult Install
    • 4th Oct 17, 4:46 PM
    New Broadband Account - Difficult Install 4th Oct 17 at 4:46 PM
    Hi, we're moving into a house that has a current line and broadband through Sky. The line appears to come into the house though the front wall and the router sits in the hall.

I don't want this set up - the house is 3 stories and the top floor contains our office. I would like my router up there for couple of reasons:
    • My home office consists of a non-wireless PC
    • I regularly work on PCs/Laptops and things are easier with wired ethernet connections
    • There are several high bandwidth devices in that room too
    • We have 2 Smart Hubs that need to be connected to the router and I don't want them in the hallway

The plan would be to then use Mesh Networking to flood the house with Wifi downstairs.

Not sure which company to go with yet but will they generally install the line and router where you ask them to? Or will they insist on using the existing line?
    The above facts belong to everybody; the opinions belong to me; the distinction is yours to draw...
Page 1
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 4th Oct 17, 6:13 PM
    • 1,427 Posts
    • 505 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 4th Oct 17, 6:13 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 6:13 PM
    If the master socket is in the hall, then that's where it is, if the house is served from an underground cable , then as soon as practical that external cable is terminated on a master socket (external cable isn't designed to be ran internally) or converted /connected to an internal cable,( via a blanking plate instead of a socket ) and that internal cable ran to another location but that wouldn't be done retrospectively or for free.
    You could pay for an extension ( surface wired) to be provided somewhere else and use that new socket for the router, but the chances are that if you organise to take over the existing line or order a 'new' line, the existing master socket will remain, chances are you won't even see an engineer, it will be done without needed in access to the property
    Last edited by iniltous; 04-10-2017 at 6:19 PM.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 4th Oct 17, 6:59 PM
    • 2,491 Posts
    • 663 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 4th Oct 17, 6:59 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 6:59 PM
    Are there any other phone sockets in the house, a picture would be good of the master socket.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 5th Oct 17, 10:04 AM
    • 9,971 Posts
    • 4,109 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 5th Oct 17, 10:04 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 10:04 AM
    My master socket in the hall has a direct feed to the router upstairs . It was pre fibre install but accepted by fibre engineer .

Your home office etc reads as you require a business service . That may give you more scope .
    • Cardinal-Red
    • By Cardinal-Red 5th Oct 17, 10:36 AM
    • 645 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    Cardinal-Red
    • 5th Oct 17, 10:36 AM
    Are there any other phone sockets in the house, a picture would be good of the master socket.
    Originally posted by AndyPK
    Can't really do that yet as not in the house but I will next time I go to view.
    The above facts belong to everybody; the opinions belong to me; the distinction is yours to draw...
    • Cardinal-Red
    • By Cardinal-Red 5th Oct 17, 10:36 AM
    • 645 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    Cardinal-Red
    My master socket in the hall has a direct feed to the router upstairs . It was pre fibre install but accepted by fibre engineer .

Your home office etc reads as you require a business service . That may give you more scope .
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    Hi - where does your feed go? Inside the house or outside?
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 5th Oct 17, 12:10 PM
    • 9,971 Posts
    • 4,109 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 5th Oct 17, 12:10 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 12:10 PM
    Inside up the wall corner through ceiling and under the floorboard exits by skirting board . Its proper cable not a telephone extension cable .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,929Posts Today

7,161Users online

Martin's Twitter