Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • duffy1807
    • By duffy1807 4th Oct 17, 4:35 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    duffy1807
    Insuranced cancelled - Non fault claim from 2016
    • 4th Oct 17, 4:35 PM
    Insuranced cancelled - Non fault claim from 2016 4th Oct 17 at 4:35 PM
    Hi everybody,

today I received notification form my car insurance that it will be cancelled after 7 days. Due to a non-disclosure of a NON-Fault accident on 17th June 2016.

First, Their was no claim made on the policy. £0 was paid out. however,

I was slightly hit from behind and we decided to leave it at that. I made my insurance company aware how I was hit but no damage was caused and we carried on.

I have recently renewed my insurance and now it has been voided. due to non-disclosure? I am confused as don't think it is right for my policy to be cancelled.

I gave my insurance the information only of what happened and did no pursue anything. now they have logged it as a Non Fault accident.

anybody have any idea if this is correct?

Thanks
Page 1
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 4th Oct 17, 5:06 PM
    • 845 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:06 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:06 PM
    Did the new insurer ask you to declare any accidents claims or losses?

How did you take out the policy, or more specifically how did you get the quote?
    Over the phone, direct insurers website or via an aggregator?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 4th Oct 17, 5:29 PM
    • 33,044 Posts
    • 17,007 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:29 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:29 PM
    Hi everybody,

today I received notification form my car insurance that it will be cancelled after 7 days. Due to a non-disclosure of a NON-Fault accident on 17th June 2016.

First, Their was no claim made on the policy. £0 was paid out. however,

I was slightly hit from behind and we decided to leave it at that. I made my insurance company aware how I was hit but no damage was caused and we carried on.

I have recently renewed my insurance and now it has been voided. due to non-disclosure? I am confused as don't think it is right for my policy to be cancelled.

I gave my insurance the information only of what happened and did no pursue anything. now they have logged it as a Non Fault accident.

anybody have any idea if this is correct?

Thanks
    Originally posted by duffy1807
    The logging as a non fault accident is correct according to what you have told us (you agree the accident happened and you informed your insurer)

And you agree you didn't disclose it to your new insurer

Having a cancelled policy on your record is bad news (on line off the peg insurers normally won't quote anyone with this in their history, and most ask if you "ever" had a policy cancelled - this stigma stays with you for life)

So try your best to get this overturned and your policy reinstated.
    Last edited by Quentin; 04-10-2017 at 7:49 PM.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 4th Oct 17, 6:39 PM
    • 89,852 Posts
    • 55,456 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 4th Oct 17, 6:39 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 6:39 PM
    I am confused as don't think it is right for my policy to be cancelled.
    If they class it as intentional non disclosure they can void it and keep the premium. If they class it as accidental non-disclosure, then they should ask you for the difference in premium that you should be paying had they accepted you with that information disclosed. However, if they would never have accepted you in the first place, they should void the policy and return your premium.
    • duffy1807
    • By duffy1807 4th Oct 17, 10:59 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    duffy1807
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:59 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:59 PM
    I dont think i can get this overturned. i think im gonna request to cancel policy my self and pay the policy cancellation fee therefore they have not cancelled it.

and just continue with a new quote. the quotes i have with this included are all pretty much same price.

Just annoys me really how (i didnt) realise this would affect policy considering it was just a call to the saying someone has just slightly hit me but were no injuries or damage was done and we will not proceed with any clains.

it was literlly 5mph ..

ah well . yet again insurance companies finding ways to sting us.
    .thanks anyway. all
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 4th Oct 17, 11:14 PM
    • 33,044 Posts
    • 17,007 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:14 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:14 PM
    I dont think i can get this overturned. i think im gonna request to cancel policy my self and pay the policy cancellation fee therefore they have not cancelled it.......
    Originally posted by duffy1807
    As it stands now you already have had your policy cancelled!

(Insurers are bound to give 7 days notice to you so that you aren't unknowingly driving uninsured between them cancelling and you getting notification.)

It will be worth a try to establish this as a genuine mistake rather than a deliberate attempt to get a lower premium. (If you cannot get this reversed then you do have a cancelled policy on your record - at least attempt to plead your innocence, they might be sympathetic - unless they really want rid of you!)
    Last edited by Quentin; 04-10-2017 at 11:48 PM.
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 5th Oct 17, 6:36 AM
    • 845 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:36 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:36 AM
    I'd be surprised if one non fault claim made the risk unacceptable to the insurer, OP; who was the policy with?

My initial question stands, how did you take out the policy and specifically what question was asked about accidents claims and losses?
    The onus is on them to prove you intentionally non disclosed, if it was a poorly worded question that will fall in your favour.

As posted above if the risk is acceptable at a higher rate they should offer you the chance to pay the AP.
    Will this insurer accept the risk with this non fault claim disclosed? Do dummy quotes with and without the claim to see. If they would have accepted you with it, tell them it was an honest oversight and offer to pay the difference

Especially if it's just one non fault bump which amounted to nothing. They should really give the benefit of the doubt here, I suspect an over zealous Underwriter has got their hands on it and isn't following due process.
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 5th Oct 17, 6:24 PM
    • 954 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:24 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:24 PM
    I don't think it's the 'insurance company finding a way to sting people'.

You have to answer truthfully, the questions posed to you. You were asked if you've been involved in any accidents or had any claims, and you've said no, which is incorrect.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,931Posts Today

7,097Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin