Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Savvy_Saver1
    • By Savvy_Saver1 4th Oct 17, 4:19 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Savvy_Saver1
    Property Search - Top tips and Alternative Methods?
    • 4th Oct 17, 4:19 PM
    Property Search - Top tips and Alternative Methods? 4th Oct 17 at 4:19 PM
    Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has any advice for non-obvious ways to find houses to buy?

We are of course looking on RightMove, Zoopla, OnTheMarket, and Prime Location (plus tepillo), with email alerts set up, and have registered with local agents. Feel like there is little coming up at the moment, perhaps given the time of the year. How much do listing increase come Spring?

Are there other methods to find houses to buy? Have I missed something obvious? Do leaflet drops work? Should I believe my potential Mortgage Broker who says he will be a big help in finding properties before they are advertised on open market? Has anyone had an experiences of buying a house in a non-conventional way?

Let me know your thoughts!
Page 1
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 4th Oct 17, 4:35 PM
    • 1,553 Posts
    • 2,014 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    • 4th Oct 17, 4:35 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 4:35 PM
    Where's you mortgage broker from? If it's countrywide, don't believe a word they say!

The only other alternative is that you build up relationships with local agents and try and get viewings first this way. Properties do slow down towards Christmas and pick up again end of Jan in my experience.
    • Jaglad111
    • By Jaglad111 4th Oct 17, 4:45 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Jaglad111
    • 4th Oct 17, 4:45 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 4:45 PM
    If you are aiming for a village or small town then the 'local pub for local people' is an amazing place to start. If you are in a city I have no idea.
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 4th Oct 17, 4:56 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 4,192 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    • 4th Oct 17, 4:56 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 4:56 PM
    Yes, if it's a village the news spreads early.
    When I was still only fixing up my house, the rumour got out and I had two locals come round and ask to see it even at that stage. One of them actually made an offer (although it was ridiculously low).
    So there's people out there trying to jump the queue.

Similarly when a friend of my family died, lots of locals came sniffing. Practically running down the road looking for a bargain.

You could also consider asking about houses that are up for rent.
    • Savvy_Saver1
    • By Savvy_Saver1 4th Oct 17, 4:57 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Savvy_Saver1
    • 4th Oct 17, 4:57 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 4:57 PM
    Mortgage broker is an independent based in Glasgow. Unfortunately, local pubs (as enjoyable as it may be) wouldn't be an option.

How have people built up this relationship with the EAs? I dropped a coupled a friendly emails setting out very clearly, without being too long, that we are FTBs, rough price range, serious, flexible on dates, and links to previous properties they have sold to illustrate roughly what we are looking for. But they seem to have just added us to the mailing list.
    • Savvy_Saver1
    • By Savvy_Saver1 4th Oct 17, 4:58 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Savvy_Saver1
    • 4th Oct 17, 4:58 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 4:58 PM
    Yes, if it's a village the news spreads early.
    When I was still only fixing up my house, the rumour got out and I had two locals come round and ask to see it even at that stage. One of them actually made an offer (although it was ridiculously low).
    So there's people out there trying to jump the queue.

Similarly when a friend of my family died, lots of locals came sniffing. Practically running down the road looking for a bargain.

You could also consider asking about houses that are up for rent.
    Originally posted by Quizzical Squirrel
    Like the idea about looking at rentals. Will have a search!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 4th Oct 17, 5:01 PM
    • 61,008 Posts
    • 356,348 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:01 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:01 PM
    How have people built up this relationship with the EAs? I dropped a coupled a friendly emails setting out very clearly, without being too long, that we are FTBs, rough price range, serious, flexible on dates, and links to previous properties they have sold to illustrate roughly what we are looking for. But they seem to have just added us to the mailing list.
    Originally posted by Savvy_Saver1
    That's not a relationship ... that's the equivalent of getting a "like" on plentyoffish at 3am on a Saturday night when you're looking for Mr Right.

You need to go into their offices and introduce yourself, smarm them, let them know how wonderful you think they are and how you're sure they'll find you the perfect house .... then drop in whenever you're passing - comment on all properties if they post anything on Facebook "Lovely - wish I had £1million, I'd buy this".... and phone them up periodically.

They'll find you a house just to stop you pestering them
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 4th Oct 17, 5:06 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 4,192 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:06 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:06 PM
    Yes, PN is right, just being on a list isn't enough, you need to charm them. Distinguish yourself from the anonymity of the mailing list.
    Make them think of ringing you first when houses come in.

I read recently that in my area 15% of house sales are made through agents before the property is listed on a website.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 4th Oct 17, 5:59 PM
    • 3,886 Posts
    • 7,899 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:59 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:59 PM
    Scour the "deaths" notice in the local rag... think outside the coffin box.

Be more proactive, check out thee local nursing home, see who's getting worse, maybe turn up with a cold, or throw them a surprise party...

Ah, no, not really tasteful. But making friends with the agencies is easier, much more tasteful... or maybe not But you do need to work at it. Turn up at a quiet time, chat to them as people, be interested in them, what they know. Chat about your wishes, find out which agent is most helpful... Shared interests, school friends in common, find out which sellers are difficult (... poor agent, it is difficult for them....) even treat them to a coffee after a viewing to discuss why said property isn't perfect, and dfo they have one that is.

Then check out the hospital casualty ward....
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 5th Oct 17, 2:03 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 4,192 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    Something else I just remembered: it might also be worth chasing down any houses that were listed, went unsold, and were then removed from websites.

These former sellers might now be waiting for spring to remarket their houses and you could get the jump on them. The desire to sell is/was there but they're not advertising it.

Of course they were probably formerly overpriced which is why they didn't sell but maybe there's room for negotiation now. A bird-in-the-hand buyer is worth considering.

We're in the middle of trying to buy one of these houses right now.
    The house was taken off the market a year ago.
    It may or may not work for us (we're close to exchange but we've been here before) but at least we've got no competition from other buyers. They don't even know it's an option.
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 5th Oct 17, 2:42 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    Natbag
    If you live close to the area you want to buy in, have a drive round regularly. When our house was up for sale, our neighbour put a homemade 'for sale' sign in their window (obviously hoping to poach some of our interest for £0 EA fees), so it might be worth a look to see if anyone else is doing the same.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

221Posts Today

1,265Users online

Martin's Twitter