Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • harshitguptaiitr
    • By harshitguptaiitr 4th Oct 17, 3:46 PM
    • 89Posts
    • 14Thanks
    harshitguptaiitr
    Fibre Broadband availability
    • 4th Oct 17, 3:46 PM
    Fibre Broadband availability 4th Oct 17 at 3:46 PM
    In my area

Fibre Broadband is available from BT, EE, Virgin Media and PlusNet
    but not from Sky and TalkTalk
    Not checked with Vodafone.

Why would this be the case?
Page 1
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 4th Oct 17, 4:14 PM
    • 2,867 Posts
    • 1,952 Thanks
    lee111s
    • 4th Oct 17, 4:14 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 4:14 PM
    Rarely, Sky and Talktalk may not have their own equipment in the head end exchange (or have spare capacity on one of their fibre links) to transfer the data from the Openreach kit, to their network.

Have you checked Sky and TalkTalk’s website? If not, what is your source of the information?
    • harshitguptaiitr
    • By harshitguptaiitr 4th Oct 17, 4:32 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    harshitguptaiitr
    • 4th Oct 17, 4:32 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 4:32 PM
    I have checked website of all these providers individually.
    Fibre Broadband is available from BT, EE, Virgin Media and PlusNet, as per their website but not from Sky and TalkTalk
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 4th Oct 17, 4:46 PM
    • 8,623 Posts
    • 5,096 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 4th Oct 17, 4:46 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 4:46 PM
    I have checked website of all these providers individually.
    Fibre Broadband is available from BT, EE, Virgin Media and PlusNet, as per their website but not from Sky and TalkTalk
    Originally posted by harshitguptaiitr
    Some comparison sites say that we can receive fibre from some companies, but we cannot, our estate being surrounded by fibre enabled properties, including estate houses facing outwards from it.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 4th Oct 17, 4:50 PM
    • 9,948 Posts
    • 4,096 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 4th Oct 17, 4:50 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 4:50 PM
    VM are a totally separate service to the others who use BT Openreach infrastructure .
    If they don't supply your address then you cannot use them .But it would be unusual for both of those not to supply .
    Check your exchange via www .samknows
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 4th Oct 17, 5:04 PM
    • 2,867 Posts
    • 1,952 Thanks
    lee111s
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:04 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:04 PM
    Exchange is irrelevant for FTTC as all of the fibres collate at the headend exchange, which more than likely is not the same exchange your telephone line is supplies from.

To answer your own question, it’s up to Sky and TalkTalk to ensure they can supply you. The Openreach network is there, they just need to have their kit (or add more capacity) connected to the Openreach network.

BT, EE and Plusnet all use BT Wholesale for their backhaul, who obviously have their kit ready and connected via the L2S (layer 2 switch) in the headend exchange.
    • harshitguptaiitr
    • By harshitguptaiitr 5th Oct 17, 3:35 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    harshitguptaiitr
    • 5th Oct 17, 3:35 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 3:35 PM
    It is very strange.

I entered my post-code and address in https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/when-can-i-get-fibre and received
    Great news, Superfast fibre is in your area

I have written to Sky - they have excellent opportunity to grow their business with minimal cost. Let's see.

I hope they will give me some business development reward
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,607Posts Today

8,795Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: REPORT PUBLISHED: We reveal how #regulators of essential services can level the playing field & better support consumers with #m?

• RT @mmhpi: "I have massive #anxiety about talking to strangers on the phone" - Regulators must improve the accessibility of essential serv?

• RT @itvMLshow: I know you may be sad that we have no more shows this year BUT you wont have to wait too long for our next LIVE SPECIAL whic?

• Follow Martin