Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • toddler9
    • By toddler9 4th Oct 17, 3:43 PM
    • 122Posts
    • 78Thanks
    toddler9
    Desperate for a particular house
    • #1
    • 4th Oct 17, 3:43 PM
    Desperate for a particular house 4th Oct 17 at 3:43 PM
    Hello All

    After some advice really. So after waiting for months for a property to come on the market that ticks all of our boxes, one finally came on the market 2 weeks ago

    We viewed and loved it and put our house on the market with the same agent on Friday. We live in a popular area and things tend to sell quickly. So far we have had 5 viewings all of which said the house was too small for what they needed. Not a lot I can do about that, but we have decided to take some furniture out today (armchair in living room and wardrobe in bedroom) to make it appear more spacious. More pictures will be loaded tomorrow to show this…

    Today the agent tells me they have had a lowball offer on the house we wanted to buy – he thinks it will be rejected. I laid my cards on the table and said what I was willing to pay for the house if ours should sell for close to asking price, and he said he will feed this back to the vendor as it is significantly more than the other people have offered. I am not sure what to do, we are desperate for this house. I talked to the agent about dropping the price of ours – it’s fairly priced considering the competition but I am worried there is quite a lot on the market in the same bracket at the moment. I said about dropping £10k then offering £10k less on the house we wanted to buy. He said have a think about it overnight…

    Another thought was to offer to rent the house we want to buy until we sold ours?

    Any advice appreciated thank you!
Page 2
    • NicNicP
    • By NicNicP 5th Oct 17, 9:19 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    NicNicP
    We were in a similar position to yourselves. We saw a house nearby for sale and after loving it at the first viewing, we put ours on the market. We used a different agent (my sister-in-law worked there) and priced the house accordingly. Within the first day we had 3 viewings lines up. The first people viewed it the first day and put an offer in for the full asking price. Good luck. Hope you have a similar success story.
    • chappers
    • By chappers 6th Oct 17, 3:12 PM
    • 2,712 Posts
    • 1,535 Thanks
    chappers
    [I]
    We have 2 more viewings booked in for tomorrow on ours now, so another 4 more to go. If by next week the other house is still available and we haven't sold ours then I will drop the price.
    Originally posted by toddler9
    I wouldn't you have the same agent acting on both sides here so you will get some leeway from them. Ask them to ask the vendor of the other house, what their priorities are, i.e quick secure sale or price. Also ask them if in the circumstances they receive a favourable would they allow you to counter offer. If yes then make sure that the agent contacts you if another offer comes to the table.
    Sometimes just waving a few more quid under their noses is enough.

    We we're behind the game on the house we are buying.
    We knew we wanted the property and also knew that there was someone else sniffing around. so we just made it clear to the agent that if any offers came in to let us know as we would probably like to make a counter offer, our house was still being renovated and not even on the market.
    The other interested party then made an offer £15k under the asking price, having accepted an offer on their own property. the vendors were going to accept that offer subject to us potentially making an offer.
    We made an offer at the asking price but in the mean time the vendors had accepted the other offer, but when they heard we would offer the asking price they held the other offer at arms length whilst they considered them both.
    We did have to lie a little and tell them that our house had just gone on to the market when in reality it was about three weeks away from that.
    Whilst the vendors were considering, things conspired against the other buyers there non chain sale turned out to be a chain of 4 and they also fessed up that they also had to take a loan and release money from a pension fund and also that they weren't going to live at the property.
    All this and a great deal of persuasion on our part swung the vendors to accept our offer despite us not having a sale on our house and their agents advising they sold to the other party.
    Well it only took two weeks to get our house finished and another two to sell to a true cash buyer.
    I suppose my point is as I mentioned before, don't give up the fight, different vendors are looking for different things in their buyers.
    • toddler9
    • By toddler9 6th Oct 17, 7:15 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    toddler9
    Thanks everyone!

    We made an offer on the house last night 5k under asking price (£275k) I wanted to make it clear that we are serious about buying it. The agent tells me today that the other party's offer was rejected and they are yet to go back with anything higher. They are also "really pleased" with our offer but cannot accept it because we haven't sold our house yet.

    Agent is working hard to sell ours , and I feel like we have a little bit of breathing space now we have made our position clear!
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 7th Oct 17, 12:24 AM
    • 1,124 Posts
    • 747 Thanks
    Natbag
    Good luck toddler9, keep us posted!
    • toddler9
    • By toddler9 13th Oct 17, 4:07 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    toddler9
    Our house still hasn't sold we dropped the price today - I wanted to do it earlier but couldn't get through to the agent.

    The house we want to buy has had 2 offers today which are close to our offer-the vendor is going to think about it over the weekend.

    I feel so disheartened, 1 because our house is obviously not as attractive as we thought it was - all other houses in our area, and price bracket have been snapped up! 2. Because we really wanted that house!

    Anyway we have 3 new viewings this weekend...
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 13th Oct 17, 4:22 PM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 1,355 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    I feel so disheartened, 1 because our house is obviously not as attractive as we thought it was - all other houses in our area, and price bracket have been snapped up! 2. Because we really wanted that house!

    Anyway we have 3 new viewings this weekend...
    Originally posted by toddler9
    Best of luck, and try not to be too disheartened.

    Perhaps it is not that your house is not attractive, it is that the price was too optimistic, particularly given you wanted to sell quickly.

    In the current market accurate pricing is critical.
    • chappers
    • By chappers 13th Oct 17, 7:09 PM
    • 2,712 Posts
    • 1,535 Thanks
    chappers
    Sit down over the weekend and work out where you can offer to and also where you can drop your price to. and still get the deal to work. that will help you better to establish if you can really afford this place or not, dependant on what you offer or what you can accept.
    Missing out because of another bidder is a bit heart breaking, but if it turns out that this house is actually out of your price range then you might not feel so bad.
    Please go back to the agent and ask them to ask the vendor if they would do you the courtesy of getting back to you before they accept any other offer as after the weekend you might a) be in a stronger position or b)be willing to up your offer.
    As I said previously it depends on how proceedable the other people are against how much the vendor might want your extra bit of cash.
    Having several people in the mix, might help you somewhat as it might slow the process slightly, but then again a bidding war might ensue which could take the property out of your price range anyway.
    Don't get too blinded by this property others will come to the market at some point.
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 13th Oct 17, 7:14 PM
    • 8,596 Posts
    • 53,043 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    OP - could you post a link to your property here and we can give you a honest opinion of the good/bad and hopefully not ugly.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • toddler9
    • By toddler9 13th Oct 17, 7:55 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    toddler9
    Thanks for the support everyone. We have about 10k leeway now we have lowered our price, but considering the other property needs a complete renovation I would feel safer to have it to put towards that.

    I think we will see what happens this weekend and then look to go back on the market next year, with an open mind on what we might like to buy instead.

    Here is our house - open to feedback! All the feedback we have had so far is that it is too small which is fair enough. Literally everything is new in the house including gutters, boiler, windows, kitchen, bathroom, rewriting, plastering! So you can see why I'm sad it's not sold yet we have put a lot of love into it!

    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-50789421.html#
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 13th Oct 17, 9:01 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    HampshireH
    Sorry to hear the problems you are having with the sale and fingers crossed your viewings are positive this weekend.

    Why is the EPC rating so low? I am currently looking at buying and I am actively looking at EPCs as part of the overall consideration. Is there any way you can improve the efficiency of your home - or do you know what is causing such a low EPC rating
    • chappers
    • By chappers 13th Oct 17, 10:55 PM
    • 2,712 Posts
    • 1,535 Thanks
    chappers
    Why is the EPC rating so low? I am currently looking at buying and I am actively looking at EPCs as part of the overall consideration. Is there any way you can improve the efficiency of your home - or do you know what is causing such a low EPC rating
    Originally posted by HampshireH
    The people that write these things are muppets, The EPC that was recently done on our house, stated that there was no cavity wall insulation and that there was no insulation in the loft and that the windows were single glazed.
    I pointed out that the walls were actually solid walls and you didn't even ask about insulation anyway.
    I also pointed out that you knew the loft had been converted this year so you should know the level of insulation included.
    The response was staggering. He couldn't take the insulation in the loft into account because he couldn't see it. course you couldn't you !!!!ing muppet it's now part of the fabric of the building.

    When I asked about the windows he said they were sashes and he just presumed they were single glazed.
    • liuhutOz
    • By liuhutOz 13th Oct 17, 11:27 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 472 Thanks
    liuhutOz
    House selling is so stressful, especially when you have already seen a place you want

    I looked at your listing. I think that I would get them to take the 2nd and 3rd pictures off the listing. They make the rooms look very dark.
    I'd also take the chair out of the babies room, it looks squished in.

    Good luck with it
    Formally liuhut
    WIN £2008 in 2008 £1836.31 2009 wins - £91!!! 2010 6170.... wins 2011 aprox 2000
    • NicNicP
    • By NicNicP 14th Oct 17, 6:51 AM
    • 218 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    NicNicP
    You’re not far from me. Your house is very well presented and doesn’t look that small in the photos (unless they’re deceiving) so hopefully s price reduction will ensure a sale for you. Fingers crossed.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 14th Oct 17, 8:14 AM
    • 15,292 Posts
    • 13,626 Thanks
    AdrianC
    The photos don't make the rooms look massively spacious - and there are no dimensions on the floorplan.

    "Gas appliance" in bed 3, but it's not visible in the photo (assuming the cot room is bed 3) - what is it? The boiler?
    • Wobblydeb
    • By Wobblydeb 16th Oct 17, 11:58 AM
    • 881 Posts
    • 1,372 Thanks
    Wobblydeb
    How did you get on over the weekend, toddler9?

    I had a look at your house, and am guessing you bought for £163,500 2 years ago? It looks absolutely lovely now, but is it really worth £56.5k more?

    I can see why you would price it at £220k - after all 26 Newlyn Avenue sold for £217.5k. What I'm not sure is how much premium a south facing garden and cul-de-sac location is adding to that house..... [I am among the people who will not buy a house with an East facing garden, so don't discount it as a factor]

    My only other thought was whether your house is leasehold? There has been recent press interest in this which was not around a couple of years ago.
    I've got a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.
    • toddler9
    • By toddler9 16th Oct 17, 12:20 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    toddler9
    No news yet!

    Yes we bought it for £163k 2 years ago, but he house has been completely renovated since then. Garden dig out, central heating, plastron , electrics , kitchen , bathroom, driveway etc. It hadn't been touched since 1974!

    No it's freehold . Also appreciate the east garden isn't for everyone - including me 😂

    Well looks like we will call it a day , paydown the mortgage and put it back on in the spring 😊
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 16th Oct 17, 12:45 PM
    • 5,013 Posts
    • 2,157 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Thanks for the support everyone. We have about 10k leeway now we have lowered our price, but considering the other property needs a complete renovation I would feel safer to have it to put towards that.

    I think we will see what happens this weekend and then look to go back on the market next year, with an open mind on what we might like to buy instead.

    Here is our house - open to feedback! All the feedback we have had so far is that it is too small which is fair enough. Literally everything is new in the house including gutters, boiler, windows, kitchen, bathroom, rewriting, plastering! So you can see why I'm sad it's not sold yet we have put a lot of love into it!

    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-50789421.html#
    Originally posted by toddler9

    Well presented, but on the small side, and the price isn`t realistic IMO. Most people now will want to avoid negative equity if they can, the work/love you have put in probably isn`t on their radar.
    • chappers
    • By chappers 16th Oct 17, 1:07 PM
    • 2,712 Posts
    • 1,535 Thanks
    chappers
    Well looks like we will call it a day , paydown the mortgage and put it back on in the spring ��
    Originally posted by toddler9
    That's not a bad idea, go hell for leather at your mortgage until then and think of it as a savings scheme with perks.
    Shame about the house you really liked but others will pop up and the spring usually sees a few more come to market, at least your not in a desperate rush to move and have a lovely house to live in for the meantime
    • toddler9
    • By toddler9 16th Oct 17, 7:00 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    toddler9

    Well presented, but on the small side, and the price isn`t realistic IMO. Most people now will want to avoid negative equity if they can, the work/love you have put in probably isn`t on their radar.


    Thanks for the feedback. If it were you what price would you market for?
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 16th Oct 17, 7:04 PM
    • 15,292 Posts
    • 13,626 Thanks
    AdrianC

    Well presented, but on the small side, and the price isn`t realistic IMO. Most people now will want to avoid negative equity if they can, the work/love you have put in probably isn`t on their radar.


    Thanks for the feedback. If it were you what price would you market for?
    Originally posted by toddler9
    Given that it's Crashy you're talking to, I suspect the answer is "46p, and even that's overpriced..."
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,436Posts Today

6,402Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

  • Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

  • RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

  • Follow Martin