Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Savvy_Saver1
    • By Savvy_Saver1 4th Oct 17, 2:11 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Savvy_Saver1
    Buying house - if commute too long, when could partner quit?
    • 4th Oct 17, 2:11 PM
    Buying house - if commute too long, when could partner quit? 4th Oct 17 at 2:11 PM
    Hi,

We've just started to look for a property, and want to live near my partners parents, which is about 1 hour 15 mins drive from where my partner currently works. She works 3 days a week, and the plan is that she will just take the long commute as a hit for finally getting to buy a house. Then, she will find a new job nearer to our new house as soon as possible.

Should the commute become too much for her, and she wants to leave whilst looking for a new job, then we would still be able to afford the mortgage based on my earnings alone. However, I am concerned that were that to happen, given she would be voluntarily leaving her job due to the commute, the mortgage company might think we always planned that and think we lied when applying. To be clear, we absolutely do plan for her to do the long commute, but if she finds it unmanageable, I would hate for her to be stuck doing it.

Would her leaving her job create issues, even if we could still afford the mortgage? How long would she need to do the commute for before she could reasonable quit her job?

We'd prefer not to just take the mortgage out in my name as we are married.

Thanks!
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 4th Oct 17, 2:14 PM
    • 42,280 Posts
    • 49,122 Thanks
    G_M
    • 4th Oct 17, 2:14 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 2:14 PM
    It's not an issue.

And how would the lender know she'd quit anyway?
    • Scotbot
    • By Scotbot 4th Oct 17, 2:18 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    Scotbot
    • 4th Oct 17, 2:18 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 2:18 PM
    By the time she starts the commute you will own the house so the lender won't care two hoots as long as the mortgage is paid.
    • Savvy_Saver1
    • By Savvy_Saver1 4th Oct 17, 2:45 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Savvy_Saver1
    • 4th Oct 17, 2:45 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 2:45 PM
    Great, thanks. I suspected it would be okay, but wanted to make sure that we wouldn't end up in a position where she was locked into an awful commute she hated.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 4th Oct 17, 2:56 PM
    • 42,280 Posts
    • 49,122 Thanks
    G_M
    • 4th Oct 17, 2:56 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 2:56 PM
    Don't worry.

Lenders do not have the power to force people to do jobs they don't want!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,112Posts Today

7,023Users online

Martin's Twitter