Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • darrens_here
    • By darrens_here 4th Oct 17, 1:36 PM
    • 25Posts
    • 18Thanks
    darrens_here
    From Good to bad credit rating - Not fair
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:36 PM
    From Good to bad credit rating - Not fair 4th Oct 17 at 1:36 PM
    Long story short,

I moved to a new hour few years ago, that I ve spend the time renovating (whilst living there) British gas (gas and Electricity) were sending me bills based on estimates. Being quiet busy at the time, I paid them..... fast forward to a year or so, I started to get some time to look at things, and realised their charges were to much and I could save by switching (mostly brought on by MSE).

So changed supplier, at which time I had a meter reading. turns out, their estimates had been low, so I owed them around £1000 or so.

I called them, and said I couldnt pay it all in one go, but would pay say £250 a month for 4 months to cover it. This was agreed (over the phone). Nothing came out of my account for a few months, got another "demand"... called again, explained the situation and the agreement, and it was set up again..... again.. nothing... about 10 months later, get letter from debt collector - the "debt" had been transfered to them.

I explained to them the situation, told them (whoo I knwo have bought the debt for less than the amount) that I would pay either £100 a month, or a lump sum. We agreed on lump sum, and that was that.

The other week, I needed a loan, so applied, and got a knock back based on my credit rating. My credit rating had previously been excellant... but now has a mark against it due to this incident - all of which I though was being done fairly.

Now - I know I should have been on the case more, but thought they were just taking the time.

I have a mortgage renewel coming up in May 2018, so would like to get credit rating sort... my question....

Do I approach the credit rating companies, or British gas in first instance, and has anyone had any experience at this and success in changing their ratin?
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 4th Oct 17, 1:39 PM
    • 14,386 Posts
    • 15,174 Thanks
    zx81
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:39 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:39 PM
    Ignoring the credit ratings, which are made up and meaningless, what exactly appears on your credit files?
    • darrens_here
    • By darrens_here 4th Oct 17, 1:44 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    darrens_here
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:44 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:44 PM
    Ignoring the credit ratings, which are made up and meaningless, what exactly appears on your credit files?
    Originally posted by zx81
    Something about an unpaid Utility bill.... one of the loan guys read it to me, and this is the only thing it can be, as ive always paid on time.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 4th Oct 17, 1:52 PM
    • 14,386 Posts
    • 15,174 Thanks
    zx81
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:52 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:52 PM
    You need to check your three files yourself and find out exactly what is reported.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

318Posts Today

2,071Users online

Martin's Twitter