Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Loulouflowers
    • By Loulouflowers 4th Oct 17, 1:33 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Loulouflowers
    Best place to find a (cheap) plumber?
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:33 PM
    Best place to find a (cheap) plumber? 4th Oct 17 at 1:33 PM
    Hi all,

I'm hoping the MSE hive mind can help a bit...

I need someone to come and do my boiler's Gas Safety Certificate, and I'm just wondering where the best place to find cheap, but obviously safe, plumbers?

Want to compare some prices and get someone cheap, because renting out a house apparently makes you haemorrhage cash!

Thanks in advance!!!

Lou
Page 2
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 7th Oct 17, 5:08 PM
    • 515 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    Alex1983
    Why let it bother you, it clearly does as you’ve said it in 2 posts recently. I personally do not call myself a gas engineer but it’s what nearly everyone calls us, does it really matter or affect your life in anyway.
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 7th Oct 17, 5:11 PM
    • 8,596 Posts
    • 53,038 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    I've PM'd you.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 7th Oct 17, 5:21 PM
    • 1,658 Posts
    • 2,488 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    It depends where in UK you are, around Manchester a company called Certificate4you do gas safety for £37.50

They have a map on website showing the area they cover. They use fully qualifies ENGINEERS not like electricians who are just wire fixing monkeys really. In fact I would imagine most trades are higher qualified than spark monkeys, even the guy who digs trenches.

Enjoy.
    • missprice
    • By missprice 7th Oct 17, 5:40 PM
    • 3,229 Posts
    • 93,669 Thanks
    missprice
    Because they're not engineers. In much of the world engineer is a legally protected title and generally requires a degree, and often professional registration. A gas man is certainly not an engineer.
    Originally posted by Risteard
    Hmmm I know you have said this previously but my OH is a qualified gas engineer, plus a qualified sparky and some other things too. At some point he got a degree, can't ask him what in cos he ain't here,(think maths though) he off fixing summat.
    Here they are called engineers, why fret what the rest of the world calls them?
    And he is professionally registered, he has to take exams every 5? Years for the gas, not sure about electric.
    84 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
    • Risteard
    • By Risteard 7th Oct 17, 5:47 PM
    • 661 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    Risteard
    No they're not engineers. My father is a civil engineer, with a PhD and MBA. He is a Member of an engineering body and a Fellow of another.

Gas installers/gas men/gas plumbers are not engineers and never will be. That doesn't take away from what they do - but it doesn't mean that they are engineers. They are not and cannot ever be. In much of the world it is illegal to describe them as such.
    • missprice
    • By missprice 7th Oct 17, 5:53 PM
    • 3,229 Posts
    • 93,669 Thanks
    missprice
    No they're not engineers. My father is a civil engineer, with a PhD and MBA. He is a Member of an engineering body and a Fellow of another.

Gas installers/gas men/gas plumbers are not engineers and never will be. That doesn't take away from what they do - but it doesn't mean that they are engineers. They are not and cannot ever be. In much of the world it is illegal to describe them as such.
    It ain't illegal here though so what happens elsewhere is academic

ETA even the gas Safe register calls them engineers,if they have it so wrong you take it up with them

Zero wins 2016 😥
    • Risteard
    • By Risteard 7th Oct 17, 6:10 PM
    • 661 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    Risteard
    It ain't illegal here though so what happens elsewhere is academic

ETA even the gas Safe register calls them engineers,if they have it so wrong you take it up with them
    Originally posted by missprice
    They do have it wrong if they incorrectly refer to them as engineers.

The Register of Gas Installers of Ireland (RGII) - a wholly owned subsidiary of the Register of Electrical Contractors of Ireland (RECI) - correctly refers to them as (Registered) Gas Installers (or RGIs).
    • George Michael
    • By George Michael 7th Oct 17, 6:30 PM
    • 2,852 Posts
    • 3,849 Thanks
    George Michael

The Register of Gas Installers of Ireland (RGII) - a wholly owned subsidiary of the Register of Electrical Contractors of Ireland (RECI) - correctly refers to them as (Registered) Gas Installers (or RGIs).
    Why do you think that the terms used in a different country are of any relevance?

The fact is that Gas Safe refer to gas fitters/installers as engineers:
    https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/

The UK Health and Safety executive refer to them as engineers:
    http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/gas-safe-register-check.htm

and the UK government careers office refer to them as engineers:
    https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/job-profiles/gas-service-technician

The meanings and definitions of words is constantly evolving and whilst it might have been the case a few years ago that you needed a degree or similar qualification to be classed as an engineer, this is no longer the case.

Many years ago, a barber was someone who cut your hair as well as performing dentistry and some surgery but this has now changed so why can't/won't you accept that the definition of the word "engineer" can also change over time?
    • missprice
    • By missprice 7th Oct 17, 8:18 PM
    • 3,229 Posts
    • 93,669 Thanks
    missprice

So you go take it up with them. I care not what they are called, but my OH is an engineer in the UK, Canada, Australia, USA, China.

Zero wins 2016 😥
    • Risteard
    • By Risteard 7th Oct 17, 9:01 PM
    • 661 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    Risteard
    So you go take it up with them. I care not what they are called, but my OH is an engineer in the UK, Canada, Australia, USA, China.
    Originally posted by missprice
    He certainly isn't in Australia. Or anywhere else in Europe for that matter.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 8th Oct 17, 8:30 AM
    • 9,493 Posts
    • 10,664 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Because they're not engineers. In much of the world engineer is a legally protected title and generally requires a degree, and often professional registration. A gas man is certainly not an engineer.
    As there is nothing in law in the UK that prohibits gas installers being classed as engineers and as this term is widely used by businesses, individuals, trade bodies and even the government, have you considered that just maybe it's you that is wrong.

I'm an aviation engineer, fully qualified and certified by the CAA yet if I go to the USA I am referred to as an aircraft mechanic.
    This just goes to show that job titles can and do differ in different countries and just because a title has a certain meaning in one country it doesn't mean that it has to be the same everywhere.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 8th Oct 17, 10:07 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    They call us "operators" where I work and then a number to signify the grading. Lower the number the high the grade and plant.

I don't give one fig what I am called as long as the money is decent. In many cases the senior operators are on more than most of the engineers, techs, instruments and tradesmen's and that's before the shift pay, overtime and the rest.
    • missprice
    • By missprice 8th Oct 17, 10:34 AM
    • 3,229 Posts
    • 93,669 Thanks
    missprice
    He certainly isn't in Australia. Or anywhere else in Europe for that matter.
    Yeah he is, did say not just gas and leccy.

Zero wins 2016 😥
    • Pdbaggett
    • By Pdbaggett 8th Oct 17, 11:04 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Pdbaggett
    I spent a fortune getting a degree in process engineering, never did get a job in that field experience vs pieces of paper qualifications sadly. I did find a very lucrative job in the railway which had nothing to do with my degree. Anyway my point is I'm technically an engineer but wouldn't have a clue how to do the job I'm actually qualified for haha... You shouldn't get so bent out of shape about names/titles a lot of the time they mean jack. I'm sure everyone refers to gas fitters as engineers so whats the problem I'm pretty sure British gas do on their adverts also.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 8th Oct 17, 11:16 AM
    • 9,493 Posts
    • 10,664 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    You shouldn't get so bent out of shape about names/titles a lot of the time they mean jack.
    Originally posted by Pdbaggett
    I couldn't agree more.
    If all someone has to worry about is the job title given to people in a different profession to theirs then they must have a very easy life with nothing more serious to worry about.
    • thegasmon
    • By thegasmon 8th Oct 17, 8:38 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    thegasmon
    The cost of a safety cert really depends on a few things. Most cheap set price safety checks are done badly and will not include a service of the applaince but if you just want the paperwork to cover your bum they are ok i guess.

I would contact a local engineer (just a word) and tell him/her the make and model of your boiler and ask for a price. certain boilers you may need to have a seal changed, part replaced to ensure its safety.
    • Loulouflowers
    • By Loulouflowers 9th Oct 17, 3:02 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Loulouflowers
    Thanks for all the helpful replies (and the not so helpful replies gave me a laugh!)

I checked with some neighbours and went on the HaMuch website that was suggested. They had a landlord section and I found someone who could come out this week.

Will certainly check my terminology before I post again!
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 9th Oct 17, 9:07 PM
    • 5,214 Posts
    • 3,034 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    It says medium in my underwear but I can’t see ghosts, I’m glad I’m in this country
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    • brightontraveller
    • By brightontraveller 17th Oct 17, 5:34 PM
    • 1,308 Posts
    • 505 Thanks
    brightontraveller
    As you don't understand the difference between you, you're and your, it's hard to tell if you're an idiot or just ignorant.
    Originally posted by Hermione Granger
    Mmmm but I know the difference between a Gas Engineer and a Plumber....
    Splleing, grmaer etc in instance of OP doesn’t endanger life not knowing whom to use does so *yuorre point is is irrelevant….
    Last edited by brightontraveller; Yesterday at 5:44 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,226Posts Today

8,058Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Hurrah! The ASA's ruled against 2 fake Facebook ads using my image https://t.co/GvNrqDPOC5 tho Facebook still shows others

• PS Today's poll is obviously inspired by the real question I was asked and tweeted about last night.

• Not all firms have panels and HR teams. There are many very small businesses out there without such resources :) https://t.co/cLo0zO7Yqu

• Follow Martin