Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Loulouflowers
    • By Loulouflowers 4th Oct 17, 1:33 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Loulouflowers
    Best place to find a (cheap) plumber?
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:33 PM
    Best place to find a (cheap) plumber? 4th Oct 17 at 1:33 PM
    Hi all,

I'm hoping the MSE hive mind can help a bit...

I need someone to come and do my boiler's Gas Safety Certificate, and I'm just wondering where the best place to find cheap, but obviously safe, plumbers?

Want to compare some prices and get someone cheap, because renting out a house apparently makes you haemorrhage cash!

Thanks in advance!!!

Lou
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 4th Oct 17, 3:26 PM
    • 24,085 Posts
    • 66,698 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 4th Oct 17, 3:26 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 3:26 PM
    Google Gas Safe certificate and your local area. Then check the person against the Gas Safe register.

Most gas engineer's won't just pop out for Gas Safety checks for random people, but some advertise themselves specifically as such.

Cheap and safe don't generally go hand in hand, but a certificate is usually no more than £50 anyway, so not exactly breaking the bank for a diligent landlord.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • usefulmale
    • By usefulmale 4th Oct 17, 5:50 PM
    • 2,324 Posts
    • 4,327 Thanks
    usefulmale
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:50 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:50 PM
    Why not use the plumber you trust to do work on the house you live in?
    Originally Posted by MSE Forum Team
    We’ve had to remove your signature because what you wrote was true and sensible and there's no room for that here.
    • phill99
    • By phill99 4th Oct 17, 5:57 PM
    • 7,989 Posts
    • 7,226 Thanks
    phill99
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:57 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:57 PM
    Why do people want 'cheap' when it comes to gas?
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • Phil&Michelle
    • By Phil&Michelle 4th Oct 17, 5:59 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Phil&Michelle
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:59 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:59 PM
    I would ring a few and tell them what you want but don't pay more than £50. It shouldn't take them that long.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 4th Oct 17, 7:01 PM
    • 4,016 Posts
    • 3,435 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 4th Oct 17, 7:01 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 7:01 PM
    Do you have a local community Facebook page ? Or neighbours ? If so, ask on there for recommendations - word of mouth is still the best way. Just make sure they're Gas Safe registered :

https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/

If you can't get any personal recommendations, then you can at least use that website to find someone who is kosher ( pop in your postcode ).
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 4th Oct 17, 7:41 PM
    • 10,313 Posts
    • 9,356 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    • 4th Oct 17, 7:41 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 7:41 PM
    Also if anyone knows any cheap dentists could they let me know,,sorry to hijack..
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • Jayjay72
    • By Jayjay72 5th Oct 17, 3:22 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Jayjay72
    • 5th Oct 17, 3:22 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 3:22 PM
    I used a website called HaMuch when I needed someone like that a couple of weeks ago.

It's a bit like a Checkatrade type site, but it shows the prices.

Have a look and you can price it up before you ring anyone.

Hope that helps.

~Jay~
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 5th Oct 17, 8:36 PM
    • 5,250 Posts
    • 3,056 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:36 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:36 PM
    I’m looking for a cheap solicitor or a cheap garage, I’d love to be able to pay £300 an hour for them to sit behind a desk but I can’t afford it cause people want Gas Certs done for nothing
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    • Loulouflowers
    • By Loulouflowers 6th Oct 17, 4:22 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Loulouflowers
    Why do people want 'cheap' when it comes to gas?
    Sadly, I need to be cheap when it comes to everything. I needed to move quickly for work and couldn't sell my house so renting the old one out is only option.
    • Loulouflowers
    • By Loulouflowers 6th Oct 17, 4:22 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Loulouflowers
    I used a website called HaMuch when I needed someone like that a couple of weeks ago.

It's a bit like a Checkatrade type site, but it shows the prices.

Have a look and you can price it up before you ring anyone.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks. I'll have a look
    • brightontraveller
    • By brightontraveller 6th Oct 17, 6:04 PM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    brightontraveller
    Sorry you feel that way. I can't believe I came on a money saving site to find out how to save money on something... What an idiot I am....
    Originally posted by Loulouflowers
    As you don't understand the difference between "Plumber" and "Gas Engineer" hard to tell if you an idiot or just ignorant? Water and Gas the one you require is a Gas Engineer you could always ask the person who services it….. oh forgot your a landlord you'll not know what that is either
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 6th Oct 17, 10:24 PM
    • 5,250 Posts
    • 3,056 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    Sorry you feel that way. I can't believe I came on a money saving site to find out how to save money on something... What an idiot I am....
    Originally posted by Loulouflowers
    You obv have no idea how much it costs every year to make sure people are safe where gas is concerned, will this cheapness follow on down the line with the amount you are charging your tenants ? No I thought not
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 7th Oct 17, 7:39 AM
    • 2,644 Posts
    • 2,954 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    Some posters are being a bit ignorant. Cheap doesn't mean bad and expensive doesn't mean good.

Ask neighbours who they use.
    • macman
    • By macman 7th Oct 17, 12:12 PM
    • 41,425 Posts
    • 17,050 Thanks
    macman
    Some posters are being a bit ignorant. Cheap doesn't mean bad and expensive doesn't mean good.

Ask neighbours who they use.
    Originally posted by glasgowdan
    True, but an LL who doesn't appear to understand the difference between a plumber and a Gas Safe RGI is a hazard to his/her tenants. If you use the same engineer to do the regular annual servicing, the odds are that you will get a better rate for a GSC.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Hermione Granger
    • By Hermione Granger 7th Oct 17, 2:42 PM
    • 794 Posts
    • 1,231 Thanks
    Hermione Granger
    As you don't understand the difference between "Plumber" and "Gas Engineer" hard to tell if you an idiot or just ignorant? Water and Gas the one you require is a Gas Engineer you could always ask the person who services it….. oh forgot your a landlord you'll not know what that is either
    Originally posted by brightontraveller

As you don't understand the difference between you, you're and your, it's hard to tell if you're an idiot or just ignorant.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 7th Oct 17, 3:01 PM
    • 542 Posts
    • 431 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    My dad was a shipwright........ more than a carpenter. He worked for a solicitors on he's boat once...

"Do you know any cheap shipwrights to help you John"...........

"No I don't, anymore than I know cheap solicitors!"
    • Risteard
    • By Risteard 7th Oct 17, 4:36 PM
    • 691 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    Risteard
    As you don't understand the difference between "Plumber" and "Gas Engineer" hard to tell if you an idiot or just ignorant?
    Originally posted by brightontraveller
    To be fair they are just gas plumbers (aka gas installers). They certainly aren't engineers.
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 7th Oct 17, 4:45 PM
    • 675 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    Alex1983
    Risteard you seem a little bitter about gas fitters/installers/gas man or any other name we are called being called a gas engineer.
    • Risteard
    • By Risteard 7th Oct 17, 5:04 PM
    • 691 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    Risteard
    Risteard you seem a little bitter about gas fitters/installers/gas man or any other name we are called being called a gas engineer.
    Originally posted by Alex1983
    Because they're not engineers. In much of the world engineer is a legally protected title and generally requires a degree, and often professional registration. A gas man is certainly not an engineer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,929Posts Today

7,161Users online

Martin's Twitter