Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • callumd94
    • By callumd94 4th Oct 17, 1:24 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    callumd94
    Loan set up with wrong bank account - help ?
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:24 PM
    Loan set up with wrong bank account - help ? 4th Oct 17 at 1:24 PM
    Hi Everyone,

I made a bit of a stupid mistake the other day

I recently applied for a Short Term Loan with Pounds to Pocket. When I applied I accidentally put in the wrong Account Number, however I did put the correct Sort Code in. When it came to the day of getting my loan I received an email stating that it has been paid but there was no money in my account.

Has anyone been in this situation before ?
    What are the chances of me actually depositing it into someone else's account ?
    Can Anyone help, what do I do ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,
    Callum
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 4th Oct 17, 1:28 PM
    • 30,093 Posts
    • 19,049 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:28 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:28 PM
    Well speak to the lender would be your first port of call.

Was it just 1 digit out ?
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 4th Oct 17, 1:31 PM
    • 13,651 Posts
    • 14,098 Thanks
    zx81
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:31 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:31 PM
    Well speak to the lender would be your first port of call.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    This.

The internet is great and all, but sometimes you just need to pick up the phone and speak to the right person.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 4th Oct 17, 2:02 PM
    • 17,073 Posts
    • 11,224 Thanks
    molerat
    • 4th Oct 17, 2:02 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 2:02 PM
    Put the sort code and account number in here to find if it could be a real account (as well as contacting the lender) https://www.sortcodes.co.uk/
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • purdyoaten2
    • By purdyoaten2 4th Oct 17, 2:58 PM
    • 685 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    purdyoaten2
    • 4th Oct 17, 2:58 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 2:58 PM
    If there is no existing account number it will 'bounce' back (as in the case of my son who provided an incorrect number to his payroll). If it does exist, one would 'hope' (guess) that the receiving bank will return the payment given that the name would be incorrect.
    purdyoaten lost his password
    • ~Beanie~
    • By ~Beanie~ 4th Oct 17, 4:08 PM
    • 2,905 Posts
    • 2,076 Thanks
    ~Beanie~
    • 4th Oct 17, 4:08 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 4:08 PM
    If it does exist, one would 'hope' (guess) that the receiving bank will return the payment given that the name would be incorrect.
    Originally posted by purdyoaten2
    Banks don't check names against payments so if the account number and sort code were valid,the money would go into that account.

• PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 4th Oct 17, 4:48 PM
    • 6,975 Posts
    • 8,587 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 4th Oct 17, 4:48 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 4:48 PM
    Hi Everyone,

I made a bit of a stupid mistake the other day

I recently applied for a Short Term Loan with Pounds to Pocket. When I applied I accidentally put in the wrong Account Number, however I did put the correct Sort Code in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,
    Callum
    Originally posted by callumd94
    I'm sure they've heard this story numerous times before.

Accident my foot!
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 5th Oct 17, 4:09 PM
    • 616 Posts
    • 1,233 Thanks
    seashore22
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:09 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:09 PM
    What would be the advantage to the op though?

I'm not saying that there isn't one and I'm genuinely interested in why you think it's dodgy.

The loan company isn't going to pay out another chunk of money on the basis of a mistake by the op.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 5th Oct 17, 4:38 PM
    • 6,975 Posts
    • 8,587 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:38 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:38 PM

I'm not saying that there isn't one and I'm genuinely interested in why you think it's dodgy.

The loan company isn't going to pay out another chunk of money on the basis of a mistake by the op.
    Originally posted by seashore22
    My error. I thought we were talking direct debits.
    • Clive Woody
    • By Clive Woody 5th Oct 17, 11:06 PM
    • 4,392 Posts
    • 5,004 Thanks
    Clive Woody

Originally posted by seashore22
    A mate with an account at the same branch (same sort code), money ends up in his account, OP denies receiving any funds, demands loan is cancelled. Lender tries to recover loan but no joy. OP and mate split the loan 50/50 with nothing to repay.

May or may not work, I didn't put a huge amount of thought into it.
    Rugby Union - The Greatest Game
    • CKhalvashi
    • By CKhalvashi 6th Oct 17, 12:09 AM
    • 8,719 Posts
    • 24,547 Thanks
    CKhalvashi
    A mate with an account at the same branch (same sort code), money ends up in his account, OP denies receiving any funds, demands loan is cancelled. Lender tries to recover loan but no joy. OP and mate split the loan 50/50 with nothing to repay.

May or may not work, I didn't put a huge amount of thought into it.
    Originally posted by Clive Woody
    I had 2 current accounts at the same branch of the same bank with the same sort code, one of the account numbers started 67634, other started 57918. They were opened at the same time as together they could be used for double the interest.

If they're obviously different numbers then there is huge suspicion, and I doubt OP and a mate would have accounts with little enough difference not to cause this.

One was a 'premium' account as at the time it was cheaper than buying insurances separately and the other was a standard one, however as the premium one was downgraded later on into a 'standard' account, I don't see how it can make any difference in account numbers.
    "I kada sanjamo san, nek bude hiljadu raznih boja" (L. Stamenkovic)

Call me Remainer or Romaniac, but not Remoaner. It's insulting and I have the right to have my voice heard too.

I can spell, my iPad can't.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 6th Oct 17, 7:26 AM
    • 616 Posts
    • 1,233 Thanks
    seashore22
    I had 2 current accounts at the same branch of the same bank with the same sort code, one of the account numbers started 67634, other started 57918. They were opened at the same time as together they could be used for double the interest.

If they're obviously different numbers then there is huge suspicion, and I doubt OP and a mate would have accounts with little enough difference not to cause this.

One was a 'premium' account as at the time it was cheaper than buying insurances separately and the other was a standard one, however as the premium one was downgraded later on into a 'standard' account, I don't see how it can make any difference in account numbers.
    Originally posted by CKhalvashi
    Precisely.

I hope all this talk of scams hasn't scared the op away because they have to be the most unlikely to succeed attempts at scamming I've ever heard of. A mistake is much more likely, but we will never know if the op doesn't return.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,254Posts Today

8,901Users online

Martin's Twitter