Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • StockportGerbil
    • By StockportGerbil 4th Oct 17, 1:15 PM
    • 539Posts
    • 106Thanks
    StockportGerbil
    Free Microsoft Office alternative
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:15 PM
    Free Microsoft Office alternative 4th Oct 17 at 1:15 PM
    Folks :-
    I am setting up a laptop for the parents to replace their elderly Windows Vista based PC which is getting increasingly flakey.

On that PC they had either Office 2003 or 2007. They write the odd letter possibly look at the odd spreadsheet / presentation, but otherwise the PC is used for email, web browsing and Dad keeping Amazon in business.

I can't see any justification in paying for a full Office licence when usage is so light, but something that is compatible is going to be required with a minimal number of differences from Office. (At 83 they are resistant to change and the Windows Vista to Windows 10 upgrade is going to keep them amused...)

I've tried Softmaker Freeoffice (which made a pigs ear of accessing one Word Document I tried to edit and didn't have a thesaurus) and LibreOffice (slow on starting up.)

Are there any alternate recommendations? (Online is out as the internet access can be a bit flakey and it's a low end laptop - i3 processor / 4GB RAM so not huge amounts of power.)

Thanks

Kevin
    Last edited by StockportGerbil; 04-10-2017 at 1:15 PM. Reason: Added notifications
Page 1
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 4th Oct 17, 1:29 PM
    • 2,773 Posts
    • 1,890 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:29 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:29 PM
    I have some office 2007 pro left still.
    Free to a good home ..
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 4th Oct 17, 3:28 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 567 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 4th Oct 17, 3:28 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 3:28 PM
    https://www.libreoffice.org/

Been using it for years, no need to use Microsoft Office...
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 4th Oct 17, 3:38 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 1,918 Thanks
    giraffe69
    • 4th Oct 17, 3:38 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 3:38 PM

Perhaps you didn't see OPs comment that this had already been tried and rejected. Andypix's kind offer seems to tick all the boxes including a package they are familiar with.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 4th Oct 17, 3:41 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 4th Oct 17, 3:41 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 3:41 PM
    Try OpenOffice it works exactly like Word and Excel, you can save the files as .doc and .xls and you can even save a formatted file on your desktop called WORD and EXCEL to open up each time you want a new file.
    • anewhope
    • By anewhope 4th Oct 17, 6:33 PM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 2,871 Thanks
    anewhope
    • 4th Oct 17, 6:33 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 6:33 PM
    www.office.com
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 4th Oct 17, 8:20 PM
    • 5,569 Posts
    • 2,114 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:20 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:20 PM
    i recently bought office 2016 for £5.67 ish on ebay. very easy to install and activate and working well
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • StockportGerbil
    • By StockportGerbil 5th Oct 17, 12:33 AM
    • 539 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    StockportGerbil
    • 5th Oct 17, 12:33 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 12:33 AM
    i recently bought office 2016 for £5.67 ish on ebay. very easy to install and activate and working well
    Originally posted by dipsomaniac
    I thought that's only for a years licence? What happens after the year? Thanks
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 5th Oct 17, 6:57 AM
    • 1,759 Posts
    • 2,201 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:57 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 6:57 AM
    Why not use their existing Office on the new machine?
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 5th Oct 17, 8:03 AM
    • 5,569 Posts
    • 2,114 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    Originally posted by StockportGerbil
    wasn't aware of that. just looked at listing and can't see any ref to a years licence

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microsoft-Office-2016-Pro-Professional-Plus-Original-Vollversion-32-64-Bit/322705835866?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2060353.m2749.l2649

down to 4.49 now. should have stuck with office 2010 for another month
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 5th Oct 17, 9:31 AM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 1,089 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    It's £4.49 because it's out of stock!
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 5th Oct 17, 12:14 PM
    • 3,158 Posts
    • 2,871 Thanks
    Undervalued

Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    This crops up regularly!

Yes, Libra office etc are fine if you only create your own documents or have only the most basic requirements.

However if you need to be able to interact with other people using the genuine Microsoft Office, particularly with more complex documents / templates etc it is hopeless.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 5th Oct 17, 12:24 PM
    • 665 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Why not use their existing Office on the new machine?
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    This ^^^^^

How was it installed on the original machine? I'm sure the license will cover you re-installing it on another machine. I got MS Office through work for £10 and it was downloaded - I'm sure I can re-install it in the future if necessary.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 5th Oct 17, 12:40 PM
    • 1,759 Posts
    • 2,201 Thanks
    unforeseen
    If it complains about the licence, a quick call to MS on an 0800 number soon fixes that.
    • StockportGerbil
    • By StockportGerbil 7th Oct 17, 5:43 PM
    • 539 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    StockportGerbil
    This ^^^^^

How was it installed on the original machine? I'm sure the license will cover you re-installing it on another machine. I got MS Office through work for £10 and it was downloaded - I'm sure I can re-install it in the future if necessary.
    Originally posted by bertiewhite
    In answer to the question Microsoft are stopping providing security fixes for Office 2007 and already have done for 2003. So I think something newer is called for. (See https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/3198497/office-2007-approaching-end-of-extended-support)

Thanks for the interest though.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 8th Oct 17, 9:26 AM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 567 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    This crops up regularly!

Yes, Libra office etc are fine if you only create your own documents or have only the most basic requirements.

However if you need to be able to interact with other people using the genuine Microsoft Office, particularly with more complex documents / templates etc it is hopeless.
    Originally posted by Undervalued
    Libre Office (and Open Office, it’s predecessor) use the Government mandated open document format for maximum compatibility. Incidentally, try using pivoting tables on Libre Office Calc, then try the same on Microsoft Excel...

The OP wasn’t looking for a company wide solution, just a free home use solution, every one of my retired friends use Libre Office... nothing wrong with it, unless you are a Microsoft reseller.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 8th Oct 17, 9:46 AM
    • 1,759 Posts
    • 2,201 Thanks
    unforeseen
    In answer to the question Microsoft are stopping providing security fixes for Office 2007 and already have done for 2003. So I think something newer is called for. (See https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/3198497/office-2007-approaching-end-of-extended-support)

Thanks for the interest though.
    And stopped support for Vista (apart from extended support to businesses) in 2012.
    Don't want to run a word processor without support but runs an OS for 5 years without it.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 8th Oct 17, 9:48 AM
    • 1,759 Posts
    • 2,201 Thanks
    unforeseen
    Libre Office (and Open Office, it’s predecessor) .............. nothing wrong with it, unless you are a Microsoft reseller.
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    Or you only want to do things that built in Wordpad is capable of
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 8th Oct 17, 9:52 AM
    • 1,074 Posts
    • 581 Thanks
    wongataa
    Office with a specified year, such as Office 2016, is a perpetual licence and you don't get updates to the software. Office 365 is a subscription licence and you always have the latest version as long as you keep paying.
    • alanq
    • By alanq 8th Oct 17, 10:39 AM
    • 3,784 Posts
    • 2,428 Thanks
    alanq
    Does it matter that LibreOffice is slow to load if it is only going to be used as described?

"They write the odd letter possibly look at the odd spreadsheet / presentation,...".

Have you considered Microsoft's free Office Online? It may be acceptable for limited use.
    https://products.office.com/en-gb/office-online/documents-spreadsheets-presentations-office-online
    Last edited by alanq; 08-10-2017 at 10:53 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Budgeting and Bank Accounts, Savings & Investments, Food Shopping and Over 50s MoneySaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

168Posts Today

1,470Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin