Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • emsybaby
    • By emsybaby 4th Oct 17, 1:06 PM
    • 26Posts
    • 4Thanks
    emsybaby
    Car Insurance - Discharged Bankrupt
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:06 PM
    Car Insurance - Discharged Bankrupt 4th Oct 17 at 1:06 PM
    I'm debating getting a car & wondering if i can get bog standard car insurance or whether i have to inform them of my previous bankruptcy. I was discharged in 2010 so it's now off my credit file. I know some insurers ask if anyone has ever been bankrupt but many don't even mention it.
    Just looking for tips on what to look out for & recommendations. Don't want to get caught out.
Page 1
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 4th Oct 17, 3:09 PM
    • 1,356 Posts
    • 970 Thanks
    MEM62
    • 4th Oct 17, 3:09 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 3:09 PM
    As per all aspects of arranging insurance coverage, you can only answer the questions asked when obtaining the quote. If you are not asked about bankruptcy then I would not be volunteering the information. If however the question is asked you should respond honestly.
    • Mollie_Guinness15
    • By Mollie_Guinness15 4th Oct 17, 4:41 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    Mollie_Guinness15
    • 4th Oct 17, 4:41 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 4:41 PM
    I'm using Hastings and they've never asked and are competitive.
    • Somerset La La La
    • By Somerset La La La 6th Oct 17, 4:53 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    Somerset La La La
    • 6th Oct 17, 4:53 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 4:53 PM
    EUI group weren't competitive as soon as they credit searched me (but a fake name, same address & accident details etc and they were the cheapest!).

Recently moved house. Used the new house with my real details, obviously no credit link yet, and it's over £500 cheaper - that can't just be from moving area!

I have a feeling my price will be hiked next year!!

But yes as above, you can only answer what they ask. Most insurance companies appear to soft-search nowadays for fraud prevention (and pricing it seems!) - whether you ask for monthly instalments or not, so they're probably going to know you were.
    Ex-Bankrupt, Discharged 09/2015
    Cap1 Platinum - Jul 2016, £4,000.... Consolidation game!
    Aqua Reward (0.5% Cashback) - Nov 2016 - £1,950
    Vanquis Chrome 24.7% - July 2017, £1,000
    Car Loan - Sept 2017 - £15k outstanding, early settlement = £10k....
    Rebuild for Mortgage (10/2018)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,070Posts Today

6,736Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin