Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dave56uk
    • By Dave56uk 4th Oct 17, 1:05 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Dave56uk
    Thrown out of house by wife
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:05 PM
    Thrown out of house by wife 4th Oct 17 at 1:05 PM
    My wife through me out of the house 27 months ago....im in debt and renting a room for £200 per month......I spoke to her about divorce in which she replied no hurry...my wife and I own the house but she also owns 4 other properties in her name only..she has taken my name of the electoral register for the house..im not allowed to stay in house when I come to see my son unless I ask...I have been told I am entitled to half of everything..including properties in her name only..(how true is this?)..I really dont know what to do..any help would be so much appreciated.. many thanks
Page 1
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 4th Oct 17, 1:13 PM
    • 9,843 Posts
    • 12,487 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:13 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:13 PM
    See a solicitor. Some/most will give 30-60 mins free. How long were you married/together?

It will prob be 50/50 all assets (inc pensions), but there will prob be more for whoever your son lives with.

Why did you move out? If you jointly own it, you're just as entitled to stay there - at least until arrangements have been agreed.

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 4th Oct 17, 1:17 PM
    • 16,148 Posts
    • 40,061 Thanks
    FBaby
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:17 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:17 PM
    How long were you married/together?
    • Dave56uk
    • By Dave56uk 4th Oct 17, 1:41 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dave56uk
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:41 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:41 PM
    married for 30yrs up till asked to move out..
    • pearl123
    • By pearl123 4th Oct 17, 1:48 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 1,875 Thanks
    pearl123
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:48 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:48 PM
    You could also speak to the CAB
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 4th Oct 17, 2:41 PM
    • 15,825 Posts
    • 9,121 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 4th Oct 17, 2:41 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 2:41 PM
    My wife through me out of the house 27 months ago....im in debt and renting a room for £200 per month......I spoke to her about divorce in which she replied no hurry...my wife and I own the house but she also owns 4 other properties in her name only..she has taken my name of the electoral register for the house..im not allowed to stay in house when I come to see my son unless I ask...I have been told I am entitled to half of everything..including properties in her name only..(how true is this?)..I really dont know what to do..any help would be so much appreciated.. many thanks
    Originally posted by Dave56uk
    I would push for a divorce. I would say she is "in no hurry" as shes busy putting her assets "out of reach".

Speak to a solicitor ASAP and get the ball rolling.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 5th Oct 17, 9:53 AM
    • 3,634 Posts
    • 8,000 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:53 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:53 AM
    Move back in, it's your house as well. You have a right to live there, as much right as her. She doesn't automatically get extra rights over jointly owned property because she threw you out!

Of course she's not in a hurry for a divorce, she's got the benefit you a house which is half yours, all she has to do is fob you off.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 5th Oct 17, 9:57 AM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:57 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 9:57 AM
    Originally posted by Dave56uk

Just move back in? I mean come on, it's your house as much as hers!
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 5th Oct 17, 10:05 AM
    • 3,294 Posts
    • 4,109 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 5th Oct 17, 10:05 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 10:05 AM
    30 years is a long marriage so the starting point is a 50/50 split. Everything goes into the pot - property, pensions, savings and anything else you are both jointly or singly entitled to.

However if your son is a minor then his needs come first. You talk of having to see him at the house, which sounds as though he isn't old enough for you both to meet on neutral territory.

It would be a good idea for you to get legal advice and to get over to Wikivorce for support and advice.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 5th Oct 17, 10:09 AM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    Comms69
    30 years is a long marriage so the starting point is a 50/50 split. Everything goes into the pot - property, pensions, savings and anything else you are both jointly or singly entitled to.

However if your son is a minor then his needs come first. You talk of having to see him at the house, which sounds as though he isn't old enough for you both to meet on neutral territory. - What? At what age is a child old enough?

It would be a good idea for you to get legal advice and to get over to Wikivorce for support and advice.
    Originally posted by bouicca21

I'm sorry but that's a ridiculous point to even suggest, here's some simple maths to help you along:...

17 (minimum age of marriage) + 30 years (length of marriage) = NOT a newborn!
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 5th Oct 17, 10:12 AM
    • 2,136 Posts
    • 1,248 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    I'm sorry but that's a ridiculous point to even suggest, here's some simple maths to help you along:...

17 (minimum age of marriage) + 30 years (length of marriage) = NOT a newborn!
    Originally posted by Comms69
    Son could well be under 18 though? Is that not what's meant? I don't know what the relevance is.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 5th Oct 17, 10:16 AM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    Comms69
    Son could well be under 18 though? Is that not what's meant? I don't know what the relevance is.
    Originally posted by qwert yuiop

So a father cant take his own son out unless he is already an adult?
    • AndyBSG
    • By AndyBSG 5th Oct 17, 10:40 AM
    • 937 Posts
    • 1,143 Thanks
    AndyBSG
    Unless you were in what is deemed a 'short marriage' (which I think is less than 2 years?), then it makes no odds if your wife's extra properties are in her name or your name, they will be deemed assets of the marriage.

This means unless there are some very extenuating circumstances you will have a valid claim on those properties.

As mentioned, the reason your wife is probably in no rush is because she's busy 'hiding' those assets to stop you having a claim on them.

Speak to a solicitor as a matter of urgency.
    • missile
    • By missile 5th Oct 17, 10:44 AM
    • 9,025 Posts
    • 4,398 Thanks
    missile
    I find this hard to believe.
    Why did wife throw you out?
    27 months on and you have not sought advice?
    How old? At 48+, you are old enough to speak up for yourself?
    Don't you have friends or family who can advise you?

See a good solicitor asap.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 5th Oct 17, 4:05 PM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 1,138 Thanks
    badmemory
    How far off 18 is your child? As soon as he is 18 she can shift all her assets to him & probably get them all back as soon as the divorce goes through because he will trust her & sign whatever she asks.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 5th Oct 17, 4:56 PM
    • 7,436 Posts
    • 10,393 Thanks
    jackieblack
    So a father cant take his own son out unless he is already an adult?
    Originally posted by Comms69
    I took it to mean that the son might not be old enough to get by himself to a meeting point.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 5th Oct 17, 4:59 PM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    Comms69
    I took it to mean that the son might not be old enough to get by himself to a meeting point.
    Originally posted by jackieblack

A meeting point outside the front door?

Sorry no, this is a controlling ex, weaponising a child.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 5th Oct 17, 5:28 PM
    • 3,294 Posts
    • 4,109 Thanks
    bouicca21
    Ffs, we don't know why OP finds it necessary to visit his child at the marital home, that's why I asked, because the child's housing needs will be a factor in any settlement.

Whilst one might assume that the child of a 30 year marriage would be to all intents and purposes an adult, capable of making his own decisions about where and when to meet up with his dad, it's perfectly possible that he's young. I know of at least three families who struggled to conceive and then had a pregnancy when the hormones were all over the place during the menopause. It's also possible that the child is older but suffers from a physical or mental disability. We simply don't know and shouldn't make assumptions.
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 5th Oct 17, 7:35 PM
    • 2,136 Posts
    • 1,248 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    I wonder why he hasn't come back to elaborate?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,524Posts Today

6,540Users online

Martin's Twitter