Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Frank93
    • By Frank93 4th Oct 17, 12:50 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Frank93
    Eligible for nothing?
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:50 PM
    Eligible for nothing? 4th Oct 17 at 12:50 PM
    Hi everyone,

I'm extremely confused here and seem to have fallen down a gap in the system, can anyone advise? I'm a UK citizen, and have just finished 5 years at University and am looking to claim JSA/UC for a few weeks to support myself until I can find a job. I live in a full UC service area and applied last week. I got called today and was asked questions, one of which was whether I had been out of the country for more than 4 weeks in the past 2 years. Last summer, after saving for a year with my part time job, I went away for 5 weeks with my friends. I was told that I was not eligible for UC based on this, and that I should claim JSA.

I've tried to claim JSA but have been told that I can only claim contributions-based JSA, which I can't because I never broke the tax-threshold with my income from my part time job. I've been on the phone to various people for the past 2 hours, but have been told I can't claim UC and I can't claim JSA. I have appealed the UC claim, saying that I was on holiday, but they said the system wouldn't let them put it through.

Am I right in saying that because I went on a self-funded holiday last summer, I am eligible for zero support? I find odd, surely it can't be the case?

Advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Frank93; 04-10-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Page 1
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 4th Oct 17, 1:05 PM
    • 9,117 Posts
    • 12,084 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:05 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:05 PM
    Check with both of these, see if the same answer comes up: (We don't know ALL your PRIVATE details..)
    https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Hope you find a job soon.
    • Frank93
    • By Frank93 4th Oct 17, 1:23 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Frank93
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:23 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:23 PM
    Thanks, that says I'm eligible, but it did not ask if I had been out the country for more than 4 weeks, which is the issue?
    Last edited by Frank93; 04-10-2017 at 1:26 PM.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 4th Oct 17, 1:39 PM
    • 9,117 Posts
    • 12,084 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:39 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:39 PM
    Try this
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/before-you-apply/Check-if-youre-eligible-for-Universal-Credit/
    - and on the right it talks about chatting online to a (CaB) adviser

Also found this
    If you need help with your claim, call the Universal Credit helpline on:

0345 600 0723

Lines are open between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday (closed on bank and public holidays).
    Explain you were on holiday but are "habitually resident in UK"
    • Frank93
    • By Frank93 4th Oct 17, 1:53 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Frank93
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:53 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:53 PM
    That's great, thank you very much, I'll try citizens advice bureau. Already tried that number but was told they could not help.
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 4th Oct 17, 2:01 PM
    • 4,720 Posts
    • 2,986 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 4th Oct 17, 2:01 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 2:01 PM
    Can’t help with UC but for contributions based JSA the tax threshold is irrelevant, it’s based on NI contributions.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 4th Oct 17, 5:45 PM
    • 10,905 Posts
    • 12,790 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:45 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:45 PM
    Try this
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/before-you-apply/Check-if-youre-eligible-for-Universal-Credit/
    - and on the right it talks about chatting online to a (CaB) adviser

Also found this Explain you were on holiday but are "habitually resident in UK"
    Originally posted by theartfullodger
    Follow this advice.

I believe the not being out of the country for 4 weeks is a gateway condition for Universal Credit which seems to suggest that you are not in a full service area so you need to use the CAB link to find out what kind of UC is operating in your area. Then call the advice line or pop into CAB for some help.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 4th Oct 17, 6:41 PM
    • 26,868 Posts
    • 14,592 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    • 4th Oct 17, 6:41 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 6:41 PM
    If you dont qualify for a contribution based benefit I would have thought an income based benefit would be ok. You wouldnt get anything for time spent out of the country.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 4th Oct 17, 9:06 PM
    • 19,722 Posts
    • 31,884 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:06 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:06 PM
    I've tried to claim JSA but have been told that I can only claim contributions-based JSA, which I can't because I never broke the tax-threshold with my income from my part time job. I've been on the phone to various people for the past 2 hours, but have been told I can't claim UC and I can't claim JSA. I have appealed the UC claim, saying that I was on holiday, but they said the system wouldn't let them put it through.
    Originally posted by Frank93
    What's the reason you can't claim income based JSA? Are you co-habiting?
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 4th Oct 17, 9:10 PM
    • 4,720 Posts
    • 2,986 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    What's the reason you can't claim income based JSA? Are you co-habiting?
    Originally posted by Spendless
    Id imagine because hes in a UC area?
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 4th Oct 17, 10:17 PM
    • 19,722 Posts
    • 31,884 Thanks
    Spendless
    Id imagine because hes in a UC area?
    Originally posted by Darksparkle
    Ahh ok, so in these areas it's only JSA CB or UC?
    • epitome
    • By epitome 4th Oct 17, 10:19 PM
    • 3,027 Posts
    • 1,837 Thanks
    epitome
    What town are you in? or area of London... Name your local Jobcentre.
    • sleepless saver
    • By sleepless saver 5th Oct 17, 11:12 PM
    • 2,668 Posts
    • 2,398 Thanks
    sleepless saver
    If you put your postcode into this website https://universalcreditinfo.net/ it will tell you the type of UC in operation there and the gateway conditions for that type, as well as what you can apply for if not eligible for UC.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

489Posts Today

3,638Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin