Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Exiled Tyke
    • By Exiled Tyke 4th Oct 17, 12:46 PM
    • 236Posts
    • 804Thanks
    Exiled Tyke
    Apollo GEM-C with an oil-filled radiator
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:46 PM
    Apollo GEM-C with an oil-filled radiator 4th Oct 17 at 12:46 PM
    As my efforts to install an ASHP to use excess generation I'm looking for a cheap (hopefully temporary) alternative. So the obvious option a diverter and heater. The GEM-C (wireless) seems to be a solution in terms of both cost and ease. So my questions are:

1. Has anyone used this? Is it a good product and worth spending money on?
    2. Is there anything better out there in terms of both price and ease of use?
    3. I'm presuming I can simply wire the controller unit into an extension cable (i.e plug on one side, socket on the other) so that I can plug any (non-electrionicly controlled) heater into this that I want to (even the Kettle!) Is this right?

Thanks for any help, advice, views.
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
Page 1
    • pinnks
    • By pinnks 4th Oct 17, 7:42 PM
    • 523 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    pinnks
    • 4th Oct 17, 7:42 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 7:42 PM
    Not seen this diverter before but the principle looks the same as my immerSUN where you can use a fly lead and plug for supply (subject to using an appropriately rated cable size) and then another piece of that cable to a trailing socket for the load. In essence the diverter is just a clever switch.

I talked this through with the immerSUN tech guy before doing mine which looks like this https://www.dropbox.com/s/jc8bsigzqbgfn18/immerSUN.jpg?dl=0. The immerSUN has up to 3 outputs, hence the 3 cables coming towards the camera, with the supply going off-screen to the left.

As you say, you can then plug in any non-electronically controlled resistive load - heater, oil-filled radiator, kettle, toaster and so on.

Whether the investment will be worth it is a good question. I paid £250 for the immerSUN and perhaps £10 for wire etc. It is mounted on an old kitchen door for free. I did not need a sensor as I connect wirelessly to my other immerSUN which I use for hot water (I could have used that for this little game but would have had challenges running hidden cables, so decided to shell out the money)

In 2016 I diverted just under 700kWh to two radiators, so about £90 per year of leccy at my rate. If that saves turning the heating on and wasting heat in the main pipe work to keep one room a bit warmer then it's up to you whether you think that equates to the real saving or not?

I use 2 radiators as one reaches max temp and then turns off before the room is warm, so having the other kick in maximises the impact - but you need two outputs with the GEM-C doesn't seem to have. An iBoost does and I think the immerSUNs are back on the market.

I have now added underfloor heating (1.75kw) to my main immerSUN, so it will be interesting to see how the radiators work alongside that - on good shoulder month days I can still generate enough to power a combined load of 3kW or so...
    Last edited by pinnks; 04-10-2017 at 7:56 PM.
    Wiltshire - 5.25kWp
    3.5kWp: 14 x Phono Solar 250 Onyx, Sunny Boy 4000TL, WSW 40 degrees, June 2013
    1.75kWp: 7 x Phono Solar 250 Onyx, Sunny Boy 1600TL, SSE 45 degrees, March 2014
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 5th Oct 17, 1:01 AM
    • 1,603 Posts
    • 2,118 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    • 5th Oct 17, 1:01 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 1:01 AM
    I'm pretty certain my iboost from 2013 only has one output. Any idea when they changed to 2?

One day I might get an EV and put another 1kwp on my shed roof so it would be good to be up-to-date.-)
    • pinnks
    • By pinnks 5th Oct 17, 7:17 PM
    • 523 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    pinnks
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:17 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:17 PM
    Perhaps I'm wrong with that then - just got the feeling from other posts on here that that is the case - I am sure someone will confirm
    Wiltshire - 5.25kWp
    3.5kWp: 14 x Phono Solar 250 Onyx, Sunny Boy 4000TL, WSW 40 degrees, June 2013
    1.75kWp: 7 x Phono Solar 250 Onyx, Sunny Boy 1600TL, SSE 45 degrees, March 2014
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,818Posts Today

10,342Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin