Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 4th Oct 17, 12:41 PM
    • 508Posts
    • 8,625Thanks
    minnie2
    flight delay compensation-i need help
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:41 PM
    flight delay compensation-i need help 4th Oct 17 at 12:41 PM
    Hi has anyone claimed money back and what happened?

I applied months ago to virgin and have been constantly requesting a response as they said within 28days and this was in may.i even received an email asking for feedback on the service even though i hadnt even had any service as yet.

Anyway just received a response that says the plane had a fuel leak so my claims been rejected because it was a fuel leak and they couldnt have a crew waiting or something . Is this valid? Has anyone else had the same

Background the plane was delayed for 3/4hours on they way there as it had problems we didnt claim for that but on the way back we had the same plane and were delayed for over 24hours.we had to have food tokens and change of hotel etc

Shall i leave it or appeal? I can copy their response if it would help.
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
Page 1
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 4th Oct 17, 12:42 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 8,625 Thanks
    minnie2
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:42 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:42 PM
    We regret to advise that we have declined your claim on the grounds that the cause of the delay was caused by extraordinary circumstances which were beyond the actual control of Virgin Atlantic and which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken.

In your particular case the flight was delayed because of an unexpected technical issue on the aircrafts previous sector, which was flying from London Gatwick to Las Vegas to operate the VS44 the same day.

The aircraft encountered an engine pylon fuel leak prior to departure. This was completely unexpected because the aircraft had not shown indications of this problem on previous sectors. Our engineers made several attempts to rectify the problem, but the fix proved to be quite complex and took longer than expected to resolve.

It would be an intolerable sacrifice for us to keep a contingency of stand by crew and flight deck as well as spare aircraft at all of our outstations in the event of such a rare occurrence.
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 4th Oct 17, 12:45 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 8,625 Thanks
    minnie2
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:45 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:45 PM
    It was a long time prior to our departure as we got a text message while we were still in our hotel in the morning.we hadnt checked out.that said then we would be delayed until tomorrow evening. (We were suppose to fly around 3pm i believe.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 4th Oct 17, 2:54 PM
    • 18,548 Posts
    • 47,764 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 4th Oct 17, 2:54 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 2:54 PM
    Minnie
    You've posted on the wrong board.
    This is Old Style.
    There is a specific board for 'flight delay compensation'.

I've asked a board guide to move your thread.
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 4th Oct 17, 2:59 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 8,625 Thanks
    minnie2
    • 4th Oct 17, 2:59 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 2:59 PM
    Thank you and sorry!!!
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 4th Oct 17, 3:01 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 8,625 Thanks
    minnie2
    • 4th Oct 17, 3:01 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 3:01 PM
    Thank you and sorry
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 4th Oct 17, 3:36 PM
    • 18,548 Posts
    • 47,764 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 4th Oct 17, 3:36 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 3:36 PM
    No problems, Minnie - and no need to apologise.

There's a sticky at the top of the Flight Delay board that you might want to take a look at.
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 4th Oct 17, 6:18 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 8,625 Thanks
    minnie2
    • 4th Oct 17, 6:18 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 6:18 PM
    I dont know where or what that is.....
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 4th Oct 17, 6:39 PM
    • 18,548 Posts
    • 47,764 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 4th Oct 17, 6:39 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 6:39 PM
    Click on this link:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4896454

I've just had a message from a board guide so your thread should be moved.

Good luck.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 4th Oct 17, 6:44 PM
    • 36,188 Posts
    • 152,922 Thanks
    silvercar
    minnie2

I've reposted your question on the correct thread in the flight compensation board. Here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4384711&page=86

Thanks to Pollycat for your help!

Good Luck minnie2!
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 4th Oct 17, 6:53 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 8,625 Thanks
    minnie2
    Thank you silvercar and pollycat !! Xxx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,773Posts Today

6,981Users online

Martin's Twitter