Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • walkthelakes
    • By walkthelakes 4th Oct 17, 12:40 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    walkthelakes
    Charter Savings Bank - Just like all the rest?
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:40 PM
    Charter Savings Bank - Just like all the rest? 4th Oct 17 at 12:40 PM
    Started using this Bank following a recommendation on this site. Had a really good 120 day notice account with attractive interest rate. Over the months I received 2 notices that they had to reduce the rate paid due to market conditions. Started at 1.79% then to 1.54% in August 2016 and then in June 2017 to 1.14%. However saw they had a one year bond paying 1.55% so gave notice on half of funds. Imagine my dismay when you now see they are paying much higher rates on accounts that require less notice. However I still have to give 120 days notice to get the remainder of my funds to switch to these better accounts.

I have contacted them to express my disappointment that they seem to be acting just like the 'old' banks and trapping existing customers in zombie accounts (they no longer offer the 120 day account). Also why if market conditions dictate that they can now pay higher rates could they not increase the rate on my existing account? They were after all very quick to bring it down.

Only reply I got was accepting the notice on my existing account and that senior management would be informed of my complaint and a response provided.

Guess what - no response.

Hope Martin reads this (and Charter Savings).

David
Page 1
    • walkthelakes
    • By walkthelakes 16th Oct 17, 8:06 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    walkthelakes
    • 16th Oct 17, 8:06 PM
    • 16th Oct 17, 8:06 PM
    Finally got reply. Not in line with their sincere and trustworthy stance in their brochure. Basically we can do what we want just as all the rest and tough. If you do not like it go to the FSA but we have broken no rules. Yes I know that but how about 'customer service'?
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 16th Oct 17, 9:19 PM
    • 12,105 Posts
    • 10,561 Thanks
    jimjames
    • 16th Oct 17, 9:19 PM
    • 16th Oct 17, 9:19 PM
    I'm happy with Tesco bank. They've stated that their rate will be 3% until April 2019. Not many banks give that length of time for a variable rate
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 16th Oct 17, 10:20 PM
    • 55,569 Posts
    • 48,942 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 16th Oct 17, 10:20 PM
    • 16th Oct 17, 10:20 PM
    Finally got reply. Not in line with their sincere and trustworthy stance in their brochure. Basically we can do what we want just as all the rest and tough. If you do not like it go to the FSA but we have broken no rules. Yes I know that but how about 'customer service'?
    Originally posted by walkthelakes

Four months notice is shorter than a year. The tide does seem to be turning. Now that the BOE is no longer providing cheap money to mortgage lenders and interest rate in general are drifting upwards. .
    "Wide diversification is only required when investors do not understand what they are doing." - Warren Buffett
    • Uxb
    • By Uxb 17th Oct 17, 7:10 AM
    • 929 Posts
    • 1,005 Thanks
    Uxb
    • 17th Oct 17, 7:10 AM
    • 17th Oct 17, 7:10 AM
    Just take the mudder f*ckers to the Financial Services Ombudsman on the basis of their refusal letter and that pile of twaddle speak.

It costs you nothing to do so but it costs the financial company(Charter) £500 every time someone goes to the FOS as the FOS back charge them.
    If more and more did it it would waste a lot of time (excellent news), cost a lot of money and suddenly you would find Charter having an "attitude re-adjustment" as the FOS would be having a "a little word in your ear" to Charter.

Or to put it more bluntly/controversially it would pay Charter to give you a significant bung with the agreement attached for you not to go on to the FOS to avoid having to pay the £500 it would cost 'em.

Back in the old days pre online counter service I found that where you wanted to change to a higher interest rate account so not making a withdrawal from the society as a whole the society would waive the notice period required.
    • By 2010 17th Oct 17, 7:21 AM
    • 4,150 Posts
    • 3,318 Thanks
    • 17th Oct 17, 7:21 AM
    • 17th Oct 17, 7:21 AM
    It`s OK to take any bank to the FSO but you need sensible grounds to do so.
    From the above info, Charter have kept to their T&C which the OP must have agreed to.
    So what`s the complaint?

There was nothing to stop the OP after opening the 120 day account to then give notice of a withdrawal and use/cancel as needed.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 17th Oct 17, 11:49 AM
    • 5,631 Posts
    • 5,470 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 17th Oct 17, 11:49 AM
    • 17th Oct 17, 11:49 AM
    Just take the mudder f*ckers to the Financial Services Ombudsman on the basis of their refusal letter and that pile of twaddle speak.

It costs you nothing to do so but it costs the financial company(Charter) £500 every time someone goes to the FOS as the FOS back charge them.
    If more and more did it it would waste a lot of time (excellent news), cost a lot of money and suddenly you would find Charter having an "attitude re-adjustment" as the FOS would be having a "a little word in your ear" to Charter.

Or to put it more bluntly/controversially it would pay Charter to give you a significant bung with the agreement attached for you not to go on to the FOS to avoid having to pay the £500 it would cost 'em.
    Originally posted by Uxb
    It`s OK to take any bank to the FSO but you need sensible grounds to do so.
    From the above info, Charter have kept to their T&C which the OP must have agreed to.
    So what`s the complaint?
    Originally posted by 2010
    I've certainly seen references to the charges levied by FOS on banks to deal with each complaint but must admit that I assumed it wouldn't apply in the case of obviously frivolous or vexatious complaints where customers accept that the bank is compliant with Ts & Cs.

My assumption would be that FOS would simply dismiss these out of hand and not charge the bank, otherwise all institutions would be susceptible to the sort of crude extortion suggested above, does anyone have a verifiable source for the FOS charging regime?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

377Posts Today

3,131Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin