Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Traceydjennings
    • By Traceydjennings 4th Oct 17, 12:17 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Traceydjennings
    Faulty product damaged carpet
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:17 PM
    Faulty product damaged carpet 4th Oct 17 at 12:17 PM
    Hi there,

I'm a new member needing help/advice please.

I purchased a humidifier from a third party seller, fulfilled by Amazon. I didn't realise the water tank was cracked until I came back to the room hours later and the water had leaked all over my brand new carpet because of the crack! The water has dried, causing a huge stain and water-damaged smell so the carpet needs replacing. However, despite them refunding the price of the faulty humidifier they refuse to pay compensation for the damaged carpet that needs replacing (with quotes up to £200!)

Escalating through Amazon their final offer is a £30 gift card as a 'gesture of goodwill'. I don't believe this is sufficient compensation to replace my carpet because of their faulty product - I sent them photographic evidence of the damaged carpet and returned the faulty humidifier the next day.

Do you think I have to just accept their £30 'gesture of goodwill' gift card or might I have a claim against them considering the need for a replacement carpet is due to their faulty product?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
    Tracey
Page 1
    • societys child
    • By societys child 4th Oct 17, 2:12 PM
    • 4,893 Posts
    • 5,333 Thanks
    societys child
    • 4th Oct 17, 2:12 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 2:12 PM
    What did you do to clean up the water?
    I had a dehumidifier leak all over a carpet because the rubber bung at the back had worked loose which allowed the water to run straight out instead of into the tank.

Used towels and a wet-n-dry-vac to clean up. There was no huge stain and no smell, it is after all, just clean water.

• Traceydjennings
    • By Traceydjennings 4th Oct 17, 2:20 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Traceydjennings
    • 4th Oct 17, 2:20 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 2:20 PM
    Thanks for your reply.
    I soaked up as much of the water as possible and tried to leave it to dry out. However, it is an old house and the room it's in has no ventilation so after a few days it just left a huge ring stain where the water has been absorbed into the fabric of the carpet.
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 4th Oct 17, 6:03 PM
    • 3,317 Posts
    • 4,829 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    • 4th Oct 17, 6:03 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 6:03 PM
    Hire one of these - £23

https://www.rugdoctor.co.uk/
    • baza52
    • By baza52 4th Oct 17, 8:37 PM
    • 2,055 Posts
    • 2,025 Thanks
    baza52
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:37 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:37 PM
    surely running a humidifier in a room with no ventalation would eventually cause damp and the associated smell.

I fail to see how clean water would case a stain and a smell when spilled.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,130Posts Today

6,683Users online

Martin's Twitter