Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • oozle1989
    • By oozle1989 4th Oct 17, 11:40 AM
    • 169Posts
    • 186Thanks
    oozle1989
    Still receiving post for previous house owners
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:40 AM
    Still receiving post for previous house owners 4th Oct 17 at 11:40 AM
    We bought our first house in June last year and are still regularly getting post through addressed to the previous owners. Most of it seems unimportant e.g. leaflets, typical junk mail but other items seem a bit more official, e.g. things from HMRC. Although I’ve not opened any of the post to check (it seems a bit intrusive?), I believe the man owned his own business and I’m pretty sure some of the post has been things like invoices.

I don’t have any contact details for them so I can’t let them know.

Am I under any obligation to do anything? Or is it suffice to expect that after 15 months they should have got all of their address details updated by now?
Page 3
    • caronoel
    • By caronoel 6th Oct 17, 1:48 PM
    • 759 Posts
    • 966 Thanks
    caronoel
    I'd just close the door in their face.
    Originally posted by rtho782

And they will keep calling around to hassle you.

Write to them (don't call) along the lines of....

I am the new occupier, and do not have contact details for any previous occupants. Please do not send any further correspondence to me on this matter or I shall view it as harassment and pass the matter on to my solicitor.

That approach has worked for me in the past
    • rtho782
    • By rtho782 6th Oct 17, 7:55 PM
    • 1,006 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    rtho782
    And they will keep calling around to hassle you.

Write to them (don't call) along the lines of....

I am the new occupier, and do not have contact details for any previous occupants. Please do not send any further correspondence to me on this matter or I shall view it as harassment and pass the matter on to my solicitor.

That approach has worked for me in the past
    Originally posted by caronoel
    I'm fine with them visiting me now and again to have the door closed in their face, it costs them money each time and means they are not harassing other people.

Though it's hypothetical to me, as I haven't had debt collectors visit!
    Deposit Saved since 01/12/15: £13,000 / £15,000 House Bought!

Debt Cleared since 01/12/15: £6,000 / £7,500
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 7th Oct 17, 2:33 PM
    • 718 Posts
    • 1,060 Thanks
    parkrunner
    Why would I make the job of these bottom feeders any easier. I would not help them. I have nothing to "prove", they should be proving I am who they are looking for not the opposite.

I'd just close the door in their face.
    We wouldn't need them if people paid their debts.
    • rtho782
    • By rtho782 7th Oct 17, 8:36 PM
    • 1,006 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    rtho782
    We wouldn't need them if people paid their debts.
    Originally posted by parkrunner
    Court appointed Bailiffs and Debt Collectors are not the same thing.

Debt Collectors are wasters that do nothing but load up random charges, reducing the likelihood of full repayment.
    Deposit Saved since 01/12/15: £13,000 / £15,000 House Bought!

Debt Cleared since 01/12/15: £6,000 / £7,500
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 8th Oct 17, 12:21 PM
    • 718 Posts
    • 1,060 Thanks
    parkrunner
    Court appointed Bailiffs and Debt Collectors are not the same thing.

Debt Collectors are wasters that do nothing but load up random charges, reducing the likelihood of full repayment.
    The discussion was about bailiffs. As for debt collectors they save a lot of people from the baillifs. Of course there can be good and bad on both sides.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,840Posts Today

9,647Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• This is a good brief summary of the evidence I have to the lords on the problems with our student finance system... https://t.co/LQqggZMlgH

• Follow Martin