Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • oozle1989
    • By oozle1989 4th Oct 17, 11:40 AM
    • 169Posts
    • 186Thanks
    oozle1989
    Still receiving post for previous house owners
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:40 AM
    Still receiving post for previous house owners 4th Oct 17 at 11:40 AM
    We bought our first house in June last year and are still regularly getting post through addressed to the previous owners. Most of it seems unimportant e.g. leaflets, typical junk mail but other items seem a bit more official, e.g. things from HMRC. Although I’ve not opened any of the post to check (it seems a bit intrusive?), I believe the man owned his own business and I’m pretty sure some of the post has been things like invoices.

I don’t have any contact details for them so I can’t let them know.

Am I under any obligation to do anything? Or is it suffice to expect that after 15 months they should have got all of their address details updated by now?
Page 2
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 4th Oct 17, 3:40 PM
    • 5,944 Posts
    • 7,695 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    I agree than binning everything from day one is a bit unreasonable - things do slip through redirection and companies can take a little while So to start with I think marking it "R.T.S - not at this address" and sticking it back in the post box.

It doesn't stop everything but it does reduce over time.

However, I think as it has been more than 12 months it is not unreasonable to start binning it instead.

I moved 3 1/3 years ago and still get post for the previous occupants. I still mark some things RTS, others go straight in recycling. (mostly, if I know I've previously sent stuff back, I now just throw it away, since returning it obviously hasn't made a difference. If I am not sure, or if it is from HMRC, I return it.

If it looks like a final demand or an insurance renewal I open it and call the sender to let them know they have the wrong address. I don't have a forwarding address but if they ask, I tell them the name of the agents who did the sale and suggest that they try them, as they presumably know where their client went.

The sellers were not particularly helpful when I bought so I don't feel any obligation to them. When I moved, I did include in the information i left for my buyers a note confirming that I had arranged for my post to be forwarded but that if anything slipped through I'd be grateful if they could send it on. I think there were 2 things in the first year that they sent on.
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 4th Oct 17, 4:05 PM
    • 2,230 Posts
    • 2,745 Thanks
    chelseablue
    just bin it we still get post for the last residents and we have been living here for 25 years.
    Every 3 years we get a new bank card for the lady and every year a paper summary of the ins and outs of her account, and yes I have been so nosey) which she clearly still uses.
    I have contacted Lloyds on several occasions and still they come.
    My point is there is little you can do and it will continue for some time, just bin it, it will diminish over time
    Originally posted by chappers
    Wow, that's bonkers after all those years! How do you get her new bank card to her?
    Mortgage starting balance 26.02.16 £231,294
    Mortgage after Year 1 £225,078
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 4th Oct 17, 4:08 PM
    • 1,736 Posts
    • 4,671 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Setting up redirection also takes 5 minutes.....
    Originally posted by Comms69
    I paid for redirection but still got a few bits arriving that had clearly gone to my old address first.
    • By 45002 4th Oct 17, 5:13 PM
    • 395 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    Return to Sender
    https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5156/~/ive-received-someone-elses-mail

https://idp.royalmailgroup.com/personal/help-and-support/track-your-item/what-happens-to-items-that-go-to-national-returns-centre

Return to sender translates as "sorting office please bin"
    Originally posted by chappers
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/royal-mail-national-returns-centre-1713249

Last edited by 45002; 04-10-2017 at 5:21 PM. Reason: url
    My signature been censored again by MSE, no reason given how rude...
    • Phil&Michelle
    • By Phil&Michelle 4th Oct 17, 5:34 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Phil&Michelle
    It will take time for it to stop completely. We used to bin anything which clearly looked like junk mail and return to sender anything which looked more important.
    • NicNicP
    • By NicNicP 4th Oct 17, 6:03 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    NicNicP
    We lived at our old house for 15 years and we’re still getting post for people that had lived there before. I used to return to sender with no longer at this address written on it. Didn’t do much good to be honest with some senders!
    • purpleparrotuk
    • By purpleparrotuk 4th Oct 17, 7:01 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    purpleparrotuk
    I always wonder when you exchange and complete in such a short time, how do you redirect your mai in time l? It takes at least 5 working days according to the Royal Mail site so what happens with post that gets through the net before then. I was thinking af leaving a note and asking the buyers if there was anything that looked important in the first week if they would mind leaving it with the estate agent and I could pop in. Do you think that would be cheeky? Then anything after they could just forward or return to sender.
    • walwyn1978
    • By walwyn1978 4th Oct 17, 7:34 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    walwyn1978
    I always wonder when you exchange and complete in such a short time, how do you redirect your mai in time l? It takes at least 5 working days according to the Royal Mail site so what happens with post that gets through the net before then. I was thinking af leaving a note and asking the buyers if there was anything that looked important in the first week if they would mind leaving it with the estate agent and I could pop in. Do you think that would be cheeky? Then anything after they could just forward or return to sender.
    Originally posted by purpleparrotuk
    Seems reasonable enough to ask....
    • chappers
    • By chappers 4th Oct 17, 8:13 PM
    • 2,677 Posts
    • 1,519 Thanks
    chappers
    Wow, that's bonkers after all those years! How do you get her new bank card to her?
    Originally posted by chelseablue
    I don't We just cut it up and bin it, though one time we even got a new PIN number. At one point we were getting quarterly statements too. But now it's just an annual summary
    She was still using the account too, being paid via the University. Money was coming in every now and again and being immediately transferred to another account.
    I did wonder if there was something suspicious going on but it's hardly likely they were both Oxford University Academics with a young family who moved abroad in 1992. I suspect she just keeps the account to take payments for work she does in this country and operates the account online.
    I have rung Lloyds, been into the branch, written to them sent cards back. But it makes no difference. regular as clockwork, every year we get an annual summary and was every 2 years but now every 3 a new card.
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 4th Oct 17, 9:12 PM
    • 3,880 Posts
    • 5,302 Thanks
    kinger101
    As other people have suggested, "NO LONGER RESIDENT, RETURN TO SENDER" sorts out 90% of it. For the stuff that still arrives, a phone call to the sender with liberal use of foul language seems to work.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 4th Oct 17, 10:40 PM
    • 5,944 Posts
    • 7,695 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    Originally posted by purpleparrotuk
    Unless they live or work next door to the estate agent, I think it's a bit cheeky to expect them to deliver stuff to the gents for you.

If you don't want to leave your forwarding address (which is the simplest way to do it) I'd suggest that you leave several large, stamped envelopes, addressed to yourself c/o the agents, and ask them to put anything which comes in the first week or so in them, and post them That way, all they need to do is pop the envelope into a post box, rather than having to take it to the agents. (obviously check with the agents they are OK with you doing this first)

Or simply leave a roll of sticky labels, pre-written with "re-direct to" and your new address on and ask them to stick one of those on anything that comes and put it back in the post.

You're asking them to do you a favour, so make it as easy for them as you can.
    • HGW2012
    • By HGW2012 5th Oct 17, 8:50 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    HGW2012
    We have also been receiving mail from the previous tenant a year on.

Trouble is they have used at least 6 different surnames it seems! We put return to sender but in all honesty it hasn't stopped or slowed down in the slightest.
    Costco still send weekly mails.

Ahh well won't be our probably in 2 weeks time when we move out!
    • C.C.L.
    • By C.C.L. 5th Oct 17, 11:56 AM
    • 352 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    C.C.L.
    We're still getting mail from previous residents 8 years on. Things from banks, debt companies and other companies. We got so fed up of sending them back we just bin them now as obviously when returned no-one took any notice.
    • armchaireconomist
    • By armchaireconomist 5th Oct 17, 3:08 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    armchaireconomist
    "Not known at address. Return to sender"

It's a long slog but it does slow over time.
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 5th Oct 17, 4:49 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 1,058 Thanks
    parkrunner
    I "return to sender" for three months, after that it's all binned.
    • Returntosender
    • By Returntosender 5th Oct 17, 5:35 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Returntosender
    We've just completed on our first home (yay!) but I have opened some mail addressed to the Occupier - and there are letters from an energy supplier saying they have the right to enter the property due to unpaid bills (dated during the months the house was on the market!)

If I get bailiffs knocking on my [new] door, I shan't be pleased :\
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 5th Oct 17, 6:15 PM
    • 1,917 Posts
    • 1,679 Thanks
    AlexMac
    We were receiving lots of such letters (some of which fell open as a poster above says) threatening court action then bailiff visits for debt recovery seizure, so after returning dozens of em, I "helpfully" rang the debt collection agency to say we had bought the place a couple of years prior.....

All I got was an earful of abuse and the threat that "opening others' mail's a criminal offence " .

I don't suppose debt collection staff go on the customer care course? Guess where all the subseque t letters went!
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 6th Oct 17, 12:32 AM
    • 9,624 Posts
    • 12,136 Thanks
    hazyjo

If I get bailiffs knocking on my [new] door, I shan't be pleased :\
    Originally posted by Returntosender
    Keep proof of ID/address close to hand and explain if they do turn up. Or just ring and explain beforehand (as I would do).

All I got was an earful of abuse and the threat that "opening others' mail's a criminal offence " .
    Originally posted by AlexMac
    Can't say what I want or it'll be removed I wish I'd been on the receiving end of that call to give them a earful...
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • Old Git
    • By Old Git 6th Oct 17, 5:14 AM
    • 4,238 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    Old Git
    My aunt went to specsavers for a pair of glasses. Every year they wrote to her offering an eye test . When she died I notified specsavers but the letters still came.I went to the local specsavers who didnt know how to stop the mail but changed the delivery address to their own address.
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
    • rtho782
    • By rtho782 6th Oct 17, 9:23 AM
    • 1,006 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    rtho782
    Keep proof of ID/address close to hand and explain if they do turn up. Or just ring and explain beforehand (as I would do).
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    Why would I make the job of these bottom feeders any easier. I would not help them. I have nothing to "prove", they should be proving I am who they are looking for not the opposite.

I'd just close the door in their face.
    Deposit Saved since 01/12/15: £13,000 / £15,000 House Bought!

Debt Cleared since 01/12/15: £6,000 / £7,500
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,226Posts Today

8,058Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Hurrah! The ASA's ruled against 2 fake Facebook ads using my image https://t.co/GvNrqDPOC5 tho Facebook still shows others

• PS Today's poll is obviously inspired by the real question I was asked and tweeted about last night.

• Not all firms have panels and HR teams. There are many very small businesses out there without such resources :) https://t.co/cLo0zO7Yqu

• Follow Martin