Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • oozle1989
    • By oozle1989 4th Oct 17, 11:40 AM
    • 169Posts
    • 186Thanks
    oozle1989
    Still receiving post for previous house owners
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:40 AM
    Still receiving post for previous house owners 4th Oct 17 at 11:40 AM
    We bought our first house in June last year and are still regularly getting post through addressed to the previous owners. Most of it seems unimportant e.g. leaflets, typical junk mail but other items seem a bit more official, e.g. things from HMRC. Although Iíve not opened any of the post to check (it seems a bit intrusive?), I believe the man owned his own business and Iím pretty sure some of the post has been things like invoices.

I donít have any contact details for them so I canít let them know.

Am I under any obligation to do anything? Or is it suffice to expect that after 15 months they should have got all of their address details updated by now?
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 4th Oct 17, 11:47 AM
    • 436 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:47 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:47 AM
    From day 1, it should all be binned. Then you set no precedent.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 4th Oct 17, 11:48 AM
    • 305 Posts
    • 712 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:48 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:48 AM
    Just write return to sender on all of them, not much else you can do really.
    • Cardinal-Red
    • By Cardinal-Red 4th Oct 17, 11:49 AM
    • 630 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    Cardinal-Red
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:49 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:49 AM
    I don't think you're under an obligation (other than not to open it) but I found putting it back in the post box with "return to sender" on it tended to reduce things for us over time.

This is assuming it's official enough to have a return address on it.

If it's not, you can write "Misdelivered" I believe on it and Royal Mail do something with it.
    The above facts belong to everybody; the opinions belong to me; the distinction is yours to draw...
    • chib
    • By chib 4th Oct 17, 11:51 AM
    • 465 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    chib
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:51 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:51 AM
    We had a similar issue, as above I'd put a line through their name/my address (Still readable) and write "Return to sender - no longer at address" on the front then pop it into the mailbox.
    • Lespaul1960
    • By Lespaul1960 4th Oct 17, 11:52 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Lespaul1960
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:52 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:52 AM
    I don't agree with binning other peoples mail from day one. The official looking items I would just pop back in the post, clearly marked please return to sender.
    • Petite Anglaise
    • By Petite Anglaise 4th Oct 17, 12:28 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Petite Anglaise
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:28 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:28 PM
    In our rental property, we received quite a lot of post for previous tenants.

I would cross through the address and just write- "please return to sender, no longer at this address"

Although throwing the post directly in the bin might be an instant solution to the problem, the post will just keep coming.

How else will the sender know that the addressee is no longer there?

With post having no return address, that is trickier, but I think it should be returned to Royal Mail as above.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 4th Oct 17, 12:38 PM
    • 8,969 Posts
    • 11,843 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:38 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:38 PM
    The quality of glue these days is terrible, it's amazing how much mail "falls open" when it hits the mat.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 4th Oct 17, 12:59 PM
    • 1,248 Posts
    • 1,195 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:59 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:59 PM
    I'm still returning the off bit of mail one year on, but it's getting less frequent. I just keep it in a drawer until I know I'm passing the postbox.
    • oozle1989
    • By oozle1989 4th Oct 17, 1:01 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    oozle1989
    Thanks everyone. I will try returning it!
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 4th Oct 17, 1:02 PM
    • 4,723 Posts
    • 9,508 Thanks
    marliepanda
    I don't think you're under an obligation (other than not to open it) but I found putting it back in the post box with "return to sender" on it tended to reduce things for us over time.

This is assuming it's official enough to have a return address on it.

If it's not, you can write "Misdelivered" I believe on it and Royal Mail do something with it.
    Originally posted by Cardinal-Red
    You can open it, as long as you're not doing it to their detriment, aka to commit fraud, things like that.

Its addressed to the OP's address. They can absolutely open it.
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • x-caitlin-x
    • By x-caitlin-x 4th Oct 17, 1:08 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 204 Thanks
    x-caitlin-x
    From day 1, it should all be binned. Then you set no precedent.
    Originally posted by Comms69
    This seems unnecessarily harsh. It doesn't take more than 5 minutes to write 'return to sender' on an envelope, and you can just pop it in the post box when you next go past. Might help to reduce the amount of post you get for them, as well.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 4th Oct 17, 1:23 PM
    • 436 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    Comms69
    This seems unnecessarily harsh. It doesn't take more than 5 minutes to write 'return to sender' on an envelope, and you can just pop it in the post box when you next go past. Might help to reduce the amount of post you get for them, as well.
    Originally posted by x-caitlin-x
    Setting up redirection also takes 5 minutes.....
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 4th Oct 17, 1:25 PM
    • 2,694 Posts
    • 2,650 Thanks
    cjdavies
    "Return to sender, no longer at this address since XXXXX"

Post back in post box.
    • chappers
    • By chappers 4th Oct 17, 2:11 PM
    • 2,654 Posts
    • 1,501 Thanks
    chappers
    just bin it we still get post for the last residents and we have been living here for 25 years.
    Every 3 years we get a new bank card for the lady and every year a paper summary of the ins and outs of her account, and yes I have been so nosey) which she clearly still uses.
    I have contacted Lloyds on several occasions and still they come.
    My point is there is little you can do and it will continue for some time, just bin it, it will diminish over time
    • Lysimache
    • By Lysimache 4th Oct 17, 2:17 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Lysimache
    Setting up redirection also takes 5 minutes.....
    Originally posted by Comms69
    Redirection can be tricky if someone has names that are slightly mispelt or different titles, sometimes.
    • mpet
    • By mpet 4th Oct 17, 2:43 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    mpet
    I usually write across the previous owners post 'return to sender gone away'. This doesn't always work with some senders, so any repeat post I write 'return to sender - deceased'. This usually works.

I don't do this from day one, as I know it's easy to sometimes forget to notify the odd person, but after a year, anything goes!
    • chappers
    • By chappers 4th Oct 17, 2:51 PM
    • 2,654 Posts
    • 1,501 Thanks
    chappers
    Return to sender translates as "sorting office please bin"
    • starshapedbrick
    • By starshapedbrick 4th Oct 17, 3:04 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    starshapedbrick
    If you bin it, then the sender may presume the address is correct. Our vendors left a note saying they would pop back in a few weeks for post - but after accruing a mound of stuff over the next month, including HMRC letters and medical letters for their son they never turned up. When I realised that they hadn't even bothered to take themselves off the electoral register I made up a few sheets of labels with Return to Sender, Month and Year they moved out, No forwarding address left on them and dumped the whole lot back in the post. I also emailed their Estate Agent to ask if they could pass a message on - never got a response, but we are down to a few letters a month rather than dozens a week.

People should redirect their own post or pay for the post office to do it, but at least if it is sent back the people trying to get in touch with them might make their own efforts to do so
    • rosyw
    • By rosyw 4th Oct 17, 3:12 PM
    • 483 Posts
    • 758 Thanks
    rosyw
    As most have said, in it or return to sender is the best option - whichever is easier

I still get post for the guy I bought from - 7 years on! It was no problem at first, his (now Ex) father in law was helping me finish the odd bit of work to the place.It soon became obvious that he was being chased for quite a lot of money from various places, in the end I started opening it, I wanted to see who may possibly be knocking on my door trying to find him having totalled up a months worth of demands I could see how heavily in debt he was I did try marking it all as "no longer at this address" and popping it the post box as I passed, all that did was change the DCAs that were chasing!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

695Posts Today

5,371Users online

Martin's Twitter