Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ollyole
    • By ollyole 4th Oct 17, 11:30 AM
    • 14Posts
    • 4Thanks
    ollyole
    Compensation for issues when moving into a rental
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:30 AM
    Compensation for issues when moving into a rental 4th Oct 17 at 11:30 AM
    Hi there,

I moved into rented accommodation last week (6 days ago), on entry to the property I was met with the following;

1) Broken boiler (fixed after 5 days)
    2) Broken window hinge, resulting in a large draft (still not fixed)
    3) Washing machine broken (fixed after 5 days)
    4) Leaking wash basins (still not fixed)
    5) No carpet in hallway (fitted after 5 days)
    6) Broken garage door handle (fixed after 5 days)
    7) Broken extractor fan in bathroom (fixed after 5 days)
    8) 2 Gas hobs not working (fixed after 2 days)

I logged an official compliant with the letting agency which I expect to hear back from tomorrow. I was wondering what kind of compensation I should ask for?

Regards,

Olly
Page 3
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 4th Oct 17, 2:31 PM
    • 9,216 Posts
    • 57,740 Thanks
    LEJC
    Remember it's always better to be polite when communicating....accusations and demands dont get people on your side.

If you do contact the LL do so in a friendly manner they are likely to be much more receptive to this and going forward your tenancy is likely to be less fraught.
    frugal October...£37.39 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 143 out 121 in ...£14.92 spend
    • G_M
    • By G_M 4th Oct 17, 3:10 PM
    • 41,480 Posts
    • 47,875 Thanks
    G_M
    A much better explanation than mine: 'Tea 'n cake'
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 4th Oct 17, 3:17 PM
    • 9,216 Posts
    • 57,740 Thanks
    LEJC
    Oh but a bit of tea and cake is always nice.....

I live in hope that one day a tenant may turn up with some!
    frugal October...£37.39 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 143 out 121 in ...£14.92 spend
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 4th Oct 17, 6:33 PM
    • 15,943 Posts
    • 39,733 Thanks
    FBaby
    Come on!
    Just write a letter:
    Dear LL,
    As you aware, I moved into your property on X. Unfortunately, despite assurance from the agency that all matters identified would be deal with before my moving date, this did not take place. As a result, I was without X, Y and Z, and had to deal with many phone calls, and needing to be in the property to let tradesman in during my first few days in the property. This has caused me stress during that time.

I am pleased that actions were taken to resolves all these matters (although X still remains to be fixed), however, I do feel it would be reasonable if as a gesture of goodwill, you would agree to reduce next month's rent by £50 to account for the inconvenience.

Yours sincerely

You then go to the agency and request that it is forwarded to the LL directly (if you didn't get the address from them) and that you will be chasing them until they have received a response from the LL to transfer.

Of course, these actions might result in just more stress and no positive outcome for you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,124Posts Today

7,786Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin