Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ollyole
    • By ollyole 4th Oct 17, 11:30 AM
    • 14Posts
    • 4Thanks
    ollyole
    Compensation for issues when moving into a rental
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:30 AM
    Compensation for issues when moving into a rental 4th Oct 17 at 11:30 AM
    Hi there,

I moved into rented accommodation last week (6 days ago), on entry to the property I was met with the following;

1) Broken boiler (fixed after 5 days)
    2) Broken window hinge, resulting in a large draft (still not fixed)
    3) Washing machine broken (fixed after 5 days)
    4) Leaking wash basins (still not fixed)
    5) No carpet in hallway (fitted after 5 days)
    6) Broken garage door handle (fixed after 5 days)
    7) Broken extractor fan in bathroom (fixed after 5 days)
    8) 2 Gas hobs not working (fixed after 2 days)

I logged an official compliant with the letting agency which I expect to hear back from tomorrow. I was wondering what kind of compensation I should ask for?

Regards,

Olly
Page 1
    • bobbymotors
    • By bobbymotors 4th Oct 17, 11:33 AM
    • 543 Posts
    • 737 Thanks
    bobbymotors
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:33 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:33 AM
    I would say about £0

just get the issues seen to.

no compensayshun.
    • Jsnb88
    • By Jsnb88 4th Oct 17, 11:36 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Jsnb88
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:36 AM
    You’ve got youself a speedy landlord by the look of how quick he’s getting those problems fixed, yes those problems should of been sorted when you’ve moved in, but you’ve made him aware and a majority have been done within 5 days, I fail to see where the problem lies
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 4th Oct 17, 11:36 AM
    • 4,891 Posts
    • 9,861 Thanks
    marliepanda
    I'd start with, probably nothing. They fixed all these items after a very short period of time. Was there a hall carpet when you viewed?
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • aneary
    • By aneary 4th Oct 17, 11:37 AM
    • 817 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    aneary
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:37 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:37 AM
    None.

I would have expected you to have noticed most of them when viewing (especially the carpet). Only the Boiler, gas hob and washing machine are ones you wouldn't notice when viewing.

In regards to the Hob and Boiler is there an up to date gas cert.
    • ollyole
    • By ollyole 4th Oct 17, 11:42 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    ollyole
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:42 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:42 AM
    Getting the issues fixed has been my focus thus far.

The compliant is regarding them not checking the property before giving us the keys (of which they only provided 1 set for 2 tenants). This is part of their duty as the management agency, for which we pay them for, surely they should refund us for services not provided?
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 4th Oct 17, 11:46 AM
    • 9,040 Posts
    • 59,545 Thanks
    LEJC
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:46 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:46 AM
    This is part of their duty as the management agency, for which we pay them for, surely they should refund us for services not provided?
    Originally posted by ollyole

As a tenant how much do you pay the managing agent for their services?
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 170 out 144 in ...£18.64 spend
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 4th Oct 17, 11:54 AM
    • 5,572 Posts
    • 4,973 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:54 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:54 AM
    This is part of their duty as the management agency, for which we pay them for, surely they should refund us for services not provided?
    and the contract you signed between yourself and the Landlord's agent regarding the provision of services from them to you states what exactly?

apply your compensation culture to a meaningful problem
    • ollyole
    • By ollyole 4th Oct 17, 11:55 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    ollyole
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:55 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:55 AM
    Ok, so £0 because they are dealing the issues. Is it acceptable to hand over a property in this condition then? As for the viewing, which was 2months ago, I was told the carpet would be replaced, the other issues aren't visible so I'm not sure how I could have foreseen any of them.

As a tenant how much do you pay the managing agent for their services?
    Originally posted by LEJC
    Undisclosed, we pay £600pm and the management agency take their cut before passing this rest to the landlord.
    • ollyole
    • By ollyole 4th Oct 17, 11:58 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    ollyole
    Clearly the word compensation has upset people, I should have used refund.
    • missprice
    • By missprice 4th Oct 17, 12:06 PM
    • 3,285 Posts
    • 97,751 Thanks
    missprice
    Clearly the word compensation has upset people, I should have used refund.
    Refund
    Remuneration
    Restore
    Return
    Pay back
    Reimburse
    Restitution
    Reparations
    Call it whatever you like, stuff is being fixed quite quickly.
    There is no cause for recouping any money
    84 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
    • Ronaldo Mconaldo
    • By Ronaldo Mconaldo 4th Oct 17, 12:08 PM
    • 4,989 Posts
    • 5,242 Thanks
    Ronaldo Mconaldo
    They really should just change their "Alert Newbie" icon to a picture of a troll, it would save so much time.
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 4th Oct 17, 12:09 PM
    • 9,040 Posts
    • 59,545 Thanks
    LEJC
    Ask for whatever refund you feel is appropriate.....your claim will be reviewed by the management company,who in turn will pass your comments to the LL who should reply to you either personally or via the managing agent.

I've no idea how your comments will be interpreted by your LL but I doubt anything substantial will be offered in terms of compensation or refund.

On the subject of the keys however a polite email to you LL should produce another set of keys....its fairly standard practice that the sets of keys issued should be the same number as tenants named on the tenancy agreement.....certainly that's is the case in the area I live and rent in.

Whilst you have had some issues moving in TBH what you have encountered is not unreasonable and have been attended to in good time....as with any move it takes a while to adjust to a new place and how things do or dont work....simple polite emails usually sort the problem.
    Last edited by LEJC; 04-10-2017 at 12:33 PM.
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 170 out 144 in ...£18.64 spend
    • ollyole
    • By ollyole 4th Oct 17, 12:13 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    ollyole
    Ok thanks for the reality check.
    • mrginge
    • By mrginge 4th Oct 17, 12:15 PM
    • 4,312 Posts
    • 7,729 Thanks
    mrginge
    Gotta love millennials
    • G_M
    • By G_M 4th Oct 17, 12:21 PM
    • 42,318 Posts
    • 49,159 Thanks
    G_M
    1) Broken boiler (fixed after 5 days)
    Good. Seems pretty efficient
    2) Broken window hinge, resulting in a large draft (still not fixed)Reported properly?
    3) Washing machine broken (fixed after 5 days)
    4) Leaking wash basins (still not fixed) Reported properly?
    5) No carpet in hallway (fitted after 5 days)
    6) Broken garage door handle (fixed after 5 days)
    7) Broken extractor fan in bathroom (fixed after 5 days)
    8) 2 Gas hobs not working (fixed after 2 days)

I logged an official compliant with the letting agency which I expect to hear back from tomorrow.
    Complaint about what?
    I was wondering what kind of compensation I should ask for?
    Nothing
    Most issues seem to have been efficiently dealt with.

Have you reported the outstanding ones, by letter, addressed to the landlord, at the address provided?

Have you received any feedback on the window and washing machine eg a contractor will call on X date?

Read also
    * Repairing Obligations: the law, common misconceptions, reporting/enforcing, retaliatory eviction & the new tenant protection (2015)
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 4th Oct 17, 12:24 PM
    • 1,010 Posts
    • 678 Thanks
    saajan_12
    Hi there,

I moved into rented accommodation last week (6 days ago), on entry to the property I was met with the following;

1) Broken boiler (fixed after 5 days) - fixed in a reasonable time. If you still had means to heat water (e.g. kettle) then not uninhabitable (though 5 days is likely too little even if it was)
    2) Broken window hinge, resulting in a large draft (still not fixed)- a few weeks is reasonable, you still have warmth
    3) Washing machine broken (fixed after 5 days)- reasonable, they may not have been obligated to unless specified in the agreement
    4) Leaking wash basins (still not fixed)- do you have a means to wash up? they still have time to fix
    5) No carpet in hallway (fitted after 5 days)- unless the floor was dangerous, no obligation to fit
    6) Broken garage door handle (fixed after 5 days) - reasonable
    7) Broken extractor fan in bathroom (fixed after 5 days)- reasonable
    8) 2 Gas hobs not working (fixed after 2 days)- but other means of cooking? reasonable

I logged an official compliant with the letting agency which I expect to hear back from tomorrow. I was wondering what kind of compensation I should ask for?

Regards,

Olly
    These are relatively small repairs which don't prevent you from substantially living in the property, so no refund due.

The LL doesn't have to guarantee you perfect accommodation, they have to repair any issues within a reasonable time - 5 days is great, a couple of weeks for those outstanding is fine. So they have not breached their obligations so no compensation due.

Undisclosed, we pay £600pm and the management agency take their cut before passing this rest to the landlord.
    NO - you have a contract with the LL that you pay £600 and they provide accommodation, fix issues etc. The LL can employ an agent to perform some of the duties for them, but that has nothing to do with you as you have no contract with the agent. The order of money transactions is irrelevant.
    • ollyole
    • By ollyole 4th Oct 17, 12:25 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    ollyole
    Gotta love millennials
    Originally posted by mrginge
    Just wow, I ask a question on here because after reading the relevant literature, I'm unsure on what to do and I get called a troll and judged on my birth date.
    • mrginge
    • By mrginge 4th Oct 17, 12:38 PM
    • 4,312 Posts
    • 7,729 Thanks
    mrginge
    Just wow, I ask a question on here because after reading the relevant literature, I'm unsure on what to do and I get called a troll and judged on my birth date.
    You asked what compensation you should ask for.

Not ‘should I ask for compensation?’

The logical conclusion being that you had already decided you were due some level of compensation.

A slight modification of language can produce very different results.

As for my comment that you quoted, I do love millennials. If you are not a millennial then that is also fine.

Some millennials have a sense of entitlement, just like individuals from other generations. I don’t know whether it is more or less prevalent with millennials because I haven’t done any research. But regardless, I stil love millennials.
    • Wyndham
    • By Wyndham 4th Oct 17, 12:42 PM
    • 1,976 Posts
    • 2,226 Thanks
    Wyndham
    I think the boiler is significant here, and surely should have been picked up on a gas check? Could you shower/bathe, or did you have to wash in the sink with water from the kettle for 5 days? If so, that's where I would focus any effort for a refund - you can't get nearly as clean, and washing hair is a particular pain with that method.

Others seem to disagree, but worth saying that due to various issues when I moved into one flat I did ask the landlord for compensation. In the end I got £100, which was mostly for the blood stained mattress which I refused to use due to it being a bio-hazard, as well as an issue with the shower which made it unusable and a few other things. I then gave the money to Shelter as I fully realised that there are plenty of people who are much worse off than I am, but it was more that I wanted to make a point as I did not feel it met the right standards.

OP - good luck, and please don't feel picked on. P.S. I'm an established poster, and certainly NOT a millennial!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,325Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin