Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • newbee007
    • By newbee007 4th Oct 17, 11:27 AM
    • 52Posts
    • 38Thanks
    newbee007
    is universal credit a state benefit?
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:27 AM
    is universal credit a state benefit? 4th Oct 17 at 11:27 AM
    It might be silly question, I know

I am doing my Self Assessment for year 2016/17. For few months I was employed and also self-employed. Then I have had to stop working and went for Universal Credit.

One of the question in Self Assesment is "Did you receive any UK pensions, annuities or state benefits, for example, state pension, occupational pension, retirement annuity, Incapacity Benefit?" Does it count UC? If so, how to calculate "amount I was entitled to receive in the year, not the weekly or 4 weekly amount"?
Page 1
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 4th Oct 17, 12:41 PM
    • 4,242 Posts
    • 4,407 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:41 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:41 PM
    Yes, Universal Credit is a 'state benefit'.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 4th Oct 17, 1:10 PM
    • 9,103 Posts
    • 12,069 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:10 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:10 PM
    .... If so, how to calculate "amount I was entitled to receive in the year, not the weekly or 4 weekly amount"?
    Originally posted by newbee007
    Yes, it's a state benefit:

How do you calculate? Look at your bank statements or award letter(s) and work out how much you received between 06/04/2016 & 05/04/2017.

(What's odd is I'm doing my SA also: I get 6 benefits (I'm old) - including state pension - and other pensions and in previous years needed to add up those. This year I'd done so, got to that section of SA & found "they" knew what I'd received, thankfully not making the basic sums error I had. System might well already have a figure for you .... )

Ain't self assessment "fun"! (You didn't ask, I'm merely curious, what other income do you have requiring SA ??)

Best regards.
    • sammyjammy
    • By sammyjammy 4th Oct 17, 1:33 PM
    • 4,237 Posts
    • 4,585 Thanks
    sammyjammy
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:33 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:33 PM
    UC is not a taxable benefit so I wouldn't count it for self assessment purposes. Those examples you have given are taxable.

I think you asked the wrong question, some state benefits are taxable others are not.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 4th Oct 17, 2:09 PM
    • 4,691 Posts
    • 2,971 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 4th Oct 17, 2:09 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 2:09 PM
    As said, only taxable state benefits are relevant for self assessment. IC isn’t taxable. A full list of taxable/non taxable state benefits are on the gov site. It also confirms UC isn’t included on the SA notes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,700Posts Today

7,599Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin