Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • paulinetc
    • By paulinetc 4th Oct 17, 11:22 AM
    • 14Posts
    • 5Thanks
    paulinetc
    Mortgage ppi reclaim in joint names
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:22 AM
    Mortgage ppi reclaim in joint names 4th Oct 17 at 11:22 AM
    Hello there,
    I am (better late than never!) going through the process of checking all my creditors for any PPI payments that I've made unknowingly. Someone has suggested that I also check PPI on my current Nationwide mortgage. The Nationwide website has a handy tool to check if I am paying PPI before making any claims.

However, the issue I have is that my mortgage is in joint names with an ex partner, who has never paid a penny of the mortgage since its start date or never lived in the property. For the online PPI checker tool I also have to give his details as its in joint names. Does this mean that they will also contact him to let him know, and if I can claim against PPI, does he have to know about this and will he get any proceeds from it? I'm probably jumping the gun a bit, but if anything was to be paid out would it be in joint names? I don't want to go through the process of checking or claiming only for him to also be notified about it and then start harassing me as he always does. Basically, I just don't want him finding out and getting back in contact with me. I enjoy a quiet life!

Any advice would be great.
    Thanks
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 4th Oct 17, 11:28 AM
    • 13,622 Posts
    • 14,073 Thanks
    zx81
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:28 AM
    He will get half of any redress.

On the plus side, mortgage PPI is rarely mis sold, so chances are neither of you would get anything, so he wouldn't find out.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 4th Oct 17, 11:28 AM
    • 19,506 Posts
    • 9,602 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    the issue I have is that my mortgage is in joint names with an ex partner, who has never paid a penny of the mortgage since its start date or never lived in the property.
    Originally posted by paulinetc
    Regardless of that. not only will he be entitled to half the proceeds of a successful PPI complaint, the Bank will only accept a complaint which is co-signed by the two of you.

Sorry.
    • paulinetc
    • By paulinetc 4th Oct 17, 11:34 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    paulinetc
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:34 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:34 AM
    Thanks for the update. I think i'll just leave it then. Its not worth it if it means even having any sort of contact. I'd rather go without!
    Thanks for the advice :-)
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 4th Oct 17, 12:10 PM
    • 89,847 Posts
    • 55,437 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:10 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:10 PM
    Someone has suggested that I also check PPI on my current Nationwide mortgage.
    That is pretty easy then as Nationwide only retail standalone monthly premium MPPI.
    The Nationwide website has a handy tool to check if I am paying PPI before making any claims.
    Why do you need a tool?
    Your bank statements will tell you all you need to know. Do you have a direct debit for MPPI or not?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,001Posts Today

7,962Users online

Martin's Twitter