Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cordie
    • By Cordie 4th Oct 17, 11:14 AM
    • 209Posts
    • 296Thanks
    Cordie
    Using Different Bulbs in Old Spotlight
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:14 AM
    Using Different Bulbs in Old Spotlight 4th Oct 17 at 11:14 AM
    I have an old 3 bulb spotlight in my kitchen which uses reflector 80mm edison screw bulbs. My query is will I be able to use the new energy saving type of bulb in this fitting and if yes what would be the equivalent available bulb in the shops now.
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 4th Oct 17, 11:33 AM
    • 17,478 Posts
    • 11,704 Thanks
    molerat
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:33 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:33 AM
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacment-Reflector-Energy-saving-Equivalent/dp/B00JMJ2QJS/ref=pd_sim_201_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YQNJW VD0QKCY0RSTS0QK
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 4th Oct 17, 12:53 PM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,529 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:53 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:53 PM
    Honestly? get rid of the fitting, the R80 bulbs are stupidly expensive now and with high demand the market is flooded with inferior quality bulbs, if you can get LED replacements then do so, but I would recommend a new light fitting.

With mine I managed to get 3x bayonet to ES converters and use 80mm LED spot lights from Aldi.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • Cordie
    • By Cordie 4th Oct 17, 3:13 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    Cordie
    • 4th Oct 17, 3:13 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 3:13 PM
    Good grief I had no idea new bulbs would cost anywhere near that much. I had hoped to avoid having to employ an electrician to change the fitting but looks as though I may have no choice.

Thank you both for your help.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,607Posts Today

8,795Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: REPORT PUBLISHED: We reveal how #regulators of essential services can level the playing field & better support consumers with #m?

• RT @mmhpi: "I have massive #anxiety about talking to strangers on the phone" - Regulators must improve the accessibility of essential serv?

• RT @itvMLshow: I know you may be sad that we have no more shows this year BUT you wont have to wait too long for our next LIVE SPECIAL whic?

• Follow Martin