Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • emdoug
    • By emdoug 4th Oct 17, 10:38 AM
    • 26Posts
    • 14Thanks
    emdoug
    Medical Appointments
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:38 AM
    Medical Appointments 4th Oct 17 at 10:38 AM
    Just looking for some advice,
    I've recently found out I'm pregnant its still early days so don't really want to tell my employer yet,
    I've only worked here 2 months. I've got an appointment with the midwife today. I emailed my boss on Monday morning about the appointment as I was only given it Friday and I was off work on A/L.
    Yesterday he emailed back stating it was fine to attend the appointment but also added "Remember the employee handbook though".

this has worried me as it states that breach of the policy could lead to disciplinary action ect. So should I tell my boss as I can imagine I'm going to need to attend quite a few appointments? If i don't tell them can they actually use disciplinary action against me for attending appointments?
Page 2
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 4th Oct 17, 7:55 PM
    • 1,504 Posts
    • 901 Thanks
    Sncjw
    I’d tell work such as your manger and hr just in case you need more appointments.

Also I am trying to say this nicely and not to offend but just in case anything bad happens and you need more time off. Better to tell them so you can
    • Lizabeth21
    • By Lizabeth21 4th Oct 17, 8:43 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    Lizabeth21
    Also sickness in pregnancy is not uncommon (can occur at anytime-even in working hours).
    • Bean83
    • By Bean83 6th Oct 17, 12:18 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 406 Thanks
    Bean83
    After the first midwife appointment, there will be nothing else until your scan. You get notified of the date of this via letter a couple of weeks in advance. Therefore If you donít want to tell them, Iíd wait until you get the letter then book the time off as annual leave. Then after the scan you can tell work and all subsequent appointments can be taken as and when.

• leslieknope
    • By leslieknope 6th Oct 17, 12:40 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    leslieknope
    why use annual leave when you're entitled to paid time for anenatal appointments? i understand why people don't want to tell people until 12 weeks but your work is different. otherwise how will they know to enact their maternity policies?
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
    • Nicki
    • By Nicki 6th Oct 17, 1:07 PM
    • 7,569 Posts
    • 26,547 Thanks
    Nicki
    Well I had a doctors appointment on Friday (Already had the time off) and I've got a midwife appointment today but I have no idea if I will need any other appointments before scan as I've not been pregnant before. All I want to know is can they fire me for attending appointments.
    Originally posted by emdoug
    I had private ante natal care so had more appointments than are offered on the NHS and even then for a normal pregnancy I had one at 6 weeks, one at 9 weeks and one at 12 weeks for the scan. I doubt you will have any more appointments to explain away before your 12 week scan to be honest unless you have an emergency in which case that would be a case of (truthfully) self certifying as unfit for work rather than asking to attend a routine appointment
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 6th Oct 17, 2:02 PM
    • 3,175 Posts
    • 2,893 Thanks
    Undervalued
    why use annual leave when you're entitled to paid time for anenatal appointments? i understand why people don't want to tell people until 12 weeks but your work is different. otherwise how will they know to enact their maternity policies?
    Originally posted by leslieknope
    Quite.

Also, particularly being very new to this job, there is a risk that if the employer suspects pregnancy they may dismiss. Sadly some employers behave like that.

If the OP hasn't formally told them she will struggle to claim unlawful discrimination if this were to happen.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 6th Oct 17, 6:29 PM
    • 16,148 Posts
    • 40,063 Thanks
    FBaby
    I wouldn't want to tell when I've been at the job only 2 months and am so early into the pregnancy. Unfortunately, miscarriages do happen even young women most commonly before 12 weeks.

I expect few employers would be overjoyed to hear that their brand new employee didn't care to become pregnant as soon as they start a job, so they even if they remain professional, you never know how their attitude could change, and since they can let you go for no reason before 2 years, I'd rather be more confident about the pregnancy before announcing it, even if it means losing a day off holiday.
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 9th Oct 17, 2:04 PM
    • 5,670 Posts
    • 6,470 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    I'm not disputing the policy, I just don't understand why he attached it to the email telling me to remember it. It's just worrying me that's all but I have a meeting with my boss Monday anyway just a standard monthly review so may just tell him then just to make things easier.
    Originally posted by emdoug
    Your new and he is letting you know how the land lies

You IMO are way over thinking this
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 9th Oct 17, 2:29 PM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    Comms69
    I wouldn't want to tell when I've been at the job only 2 months and am so early into the pregnancy. Unfortunately, miscarriages do happen even young women most commonly before 12 weeks.

I expect few employers would be overjoyed to hear that their brand new employee didn't care to become pregnant as soon as they start a job, so they even if they remain professional, you never know how their attitude could change, and since they can let you go for no reason before 2 years, I'd rather be more confident about the pregnancy before announcing it, even if it means losing a day off holiday.
    Originally posted by FBaby

Well if the OP announces the pregnancy, they are less likely to let her go, as there is always a chance of an unlawful discrimination suit. Even when confident of winning it, it's expensive to defend.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 9th Oct 17, 4:36 PM
    • 16,148 Posts
    • 40,063 Thanks
    FBaby
    Yes, but if she was unfortunate to miscarry, they would likely assume that she would want to try to get pregnant shortly afterwards, so could decide to find an excuse to dismiss her before.

Of course it's all what if as they would need to know she's not pregnant any longer before she informs then she is pregnant again.

All is possible. A friend of mine later discovered she had been pregnant when she went for an interview (didn't know then) and only found out after she'd accepted the job. She was petrified to tell her boss and expected a very bad atmosphere but they were great. She is a fantastic worker and they were delighted with her. She worked until she was 38 weeks and came back at 6 months, which as they said, they could have had anyone else off maybe a year later, but then for the full 12 months or not coming back at all.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 9th Oct 17, 4:38 PM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    Comms69
    Yes, but if she was unfortunate to miscarry, they would likely assume that she would want to try to get pregnant shortly afterwards, so could decide to find an excuse to dismiss her before.

Of course it's all what if as they would need to know she's not pregnant any longer before she informs then she is pregnant again.

All is possible. A friend of mine later discovered she had been pregnant when she went for an interview (didn't know then) and only found out after she'd accepted the job. She was petrified to tell her boss and expected a very bad atmosphere but they were great. She is a fantastic worker and they were delighted with her. She worked until she was 38 weeks and came back at 6 months, which as they said, they could have had anyone else off maybe a year later, but then for the full 12 months or not coming back at all.
    Originally posted by FBaby

Sure of course, just mean that it offers some basic protection, but it's not bullet proof
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,856Posts Today

7,106Users online

Martin's Twitter