Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lovetotravel
    • By Lovetotravel 4th Oct 17, 10:33 AM
    • 363Posts
    • 319Thanks
    Lovetotravel
    0 WOW
    Ryanair refund due to serious illness of passenger
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:33 AM
    0 WOW
    Ryanair refund due to serious illness of passenger 4th Oct 17 at 10:33 AM
    I spoke to Ryanair to ask what my options were after my mother was diagnosed with a stage 4 malignant brain tumour. They advised that I could apply for a refund if I provided medical evidence, which I did.

The claim was denied and I sent a further 2 emails with a more details explanation of the diagnosis, which I received no response to. I spoke to a live chat agent who advised me to resubmit the claim, which I was unable to do as a claim had already been sent.

This AM I lodged a complaint, on the advice of yet another live chat agent, in the hope they will re-examine this claim. Unfortunately rescheduling the flights is not an option as my mother is now unable to travel and we don;t want to leave her.

Has anyone else successfully claimed for a refund in these circumstances?

I did contact travel insurance company but they will only cover for my portion of the three return flights and my parents had not yet purchased their insurance before the diagnosis.
Page 1
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 4th Oct 17, 11:33 AM
    • 10,867 Posts
    • 7,094 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:33 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:33 AM
    The Ryanair refund for death or serious illness of passenger is discretionary. I have seen other posts where this discretionary request has also been denied. (they do not specify what "serious illness" qualifies, but I suspect in hospital ICU would work) This is really something for travel insurance and since your parents had not bought insurance they were choosing to self-insure. Have you asked about claiming the taxes back?
    Best wishes for your mum
    • Lovetotravel
    • By Lovetotravel 4th Oct 17, 11:39 AM
    • 363 Posts
    • 319 Thanks
    Lovetotravel
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:39 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:39 AM
    Thanks. I'll ask about the taxes when (if?) they get back to me.

My old pair both have various health issues, so were in the process of shopping around when we got this news.

I guess Ryanair are losing so much ££ at the moment that they'll keep a tight hold of my £250! lol

The Ryanair refund for death or serious illness of passenger is discretionary. I have seen other posts where this discretionary request has also been denied. (they do not specify what "serious illness" qualifies, but I suspect in hospital ICU would work) This is really something for travel insurance and since your parents had not bought insurance they were choosing to self-insure. Have you asked about claiming the taxes back?
    Best wishes for your mum
    Originally posted by Caz3121
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

214Posts Today

1,426Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin