Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SamBGB
    • By SamBGB 4th Oct 17, 9:24 AM
    • 12Posts
    • 9Thanks
    SamBGB
    NHS Widowers Survisors Pension
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:24 AM
    NHS Widowers Survisors Pension 4th Oct 17 at 9:24 AM
    Hello,

I am just after some information about the NHS survivors pension, sadly my Mum passed away last month and she worked in the NHS for the last 28yrs and paid into the NHS Scotland pension, she was sadly taken from me too soon at the age of 54 after being diagnosed with cancer.

Having had discussions with my Mum she wanted me to have the pension (the lump sum portion) but between diagnosis and her passing away was only 13 weeks and with everything going on she never got round to updating her wishes (only have electronic messages from her about it) to the pension people so everything has gone to my step father (who did initially agreed to give me the lump sum) unfortunately it seems he has kept the majority of the money.

I believe he got more than 15k and provided me with 5k (which I am grateful for but it wasn't my mother wishes) and I am not interested in fighting over it but his excuse was that the survivors pension portion (the monthly amount) which is about £140 per month (he says after tax) is going to be a burden to him because if he loses his job or falls ill he wouldn't be entitled to the various state benefits (JSA, Sick Pay etc etc) is he correct?

1. Does the monthly amount he received get taxed?
    2. Would that monthly amount affect any benefits he would be entitled to if he lost his job or fell ill?

He says a financial advisors has advised him of this and therefore he is saying that he needed to keep the rest of the money as a safety net (despite Mums wishes).

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Linton
    • By Linton 4th Oct 17, 9:41 AM
    • 8,622 Posts
    • 8,591 Thanks
    Linton
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:41 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:41 AM
    1) Yes
    2) Some benefits. Under Universal Credit I believe pension income is deducted £ for £. Other people will be able to say more.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

129Posts Today

2,862Users online

Martin's Twitter