Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trisontana
    • By trisontana 4th Oct 17, 9:04 AM
    • 8,938Posts
    • 13,660Thanks
    trisontana
    Another Loss For Gladstones
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:04 AM
    Another Loss For Gladstones 4th Oct 17 at 9:04 AM
    This from PPP:- http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=116126&hl=

It's worth quoting this in full to see what a mess that the supposed professional lawyers made of this case. Note the red herring about Beavis and the way the judge slapped it down:-

Hi, all,

Last year I received a parking ticket from JD Parking Consultants in Leeds as I parked at the Hobby Horse pub on Lovell Park Road.

Long story short - usual Gladstones farce, poor correspondence, witness statement clearly written by Gladstones but failed to really make their point.

Gladstones apparently failed to show and the witness did not turn up (one of the company directors) but the other director did show up with no paperwork. The judge instantly asked where his paperwork was and I questioned why the witness wasn't available but this guy pointed to his head and said he had it all up there.

The judge allowed him to start and he mentioned signs which the judge interrupted and pointed to my defence/witness statement and basically wrote the guy off from there. Forbidding signage, no entrance signage, red hand rule, no lighting in the car park - there was no comeback. The guy did bring up Beavis which the judge shut him down again stating what Beavis related to and had no relevance in this case. The guy then said it was a pay and display when the signage and claim clearly state permit holder/no permit displayed so the judge dismissed the case and honoured my costs.

Judge was great and had made his mind up already I believe. It worked out even better that the guy that turned up hadn't even read his own companies witness statement and obviously the judge wouldn't allow him to bring anything what so ever to the table that hadn't been evidenced previously and no evidence in hand to show.

All in all a great day out and I enjoyed the experience!

I will add the supporting evidence etc to the case when i get the chance to help other cases
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
Page 1
    • IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 4th Oct 17, 9:31 AM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 2,888 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:31 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:31 AM
    Well JD have two cases today. Wonder if it will be a repeat.
    Life's for living, get on with it rather than worrying about these. If they hassle, counter claim.

Send them that costs schedule though, 24 hours before the hearing, and file it with the court. Take with you evidence that you have sent the costs schedule to them and when.
    LoC
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 4th Oct 17, 10:23 AM
    • 6,171 Posts
    • 7,891 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:23 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:23 AM
    For the court judges, they must be very disappointed, embarrassed
    and shameful about Gladstones making such a mockery of the
    legal system
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 4th Oct 17, 11:29 AM
    • 7,188 Posts
    • 6,238 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:29 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:29 AM
    Why should judges feel ashamed because a firm of solicitors puts profit before principal?

In my opinion, lawyers rank just above Estate Agents in the Probity Stakes.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 4th Oct 17, 11:42 AM
    • 6,171 Posts
    • 7,891 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:42 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:42 AM
    Why should judges feel ashamed because a firm of solicitors puts profit before principal?

Originally posted by The Deep
    Because such shameful solicitors make a mockery of the
    legal system

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 4th Oct 17, 11:47 AM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 2,888 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:47 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:47 AM
    Because such shameful solicitors make a mockery of the
    legal system
    Solicitors only work for clients and only follow their instruction. They derive all their work via "instructions" and are therefore above such reproach.

Well that's the theory anyway.
    Life's for living, get on with it rather than worrying about these. If they hassle, counter claim.

Send them that costs schedule though, 24 hours before the hearing, and file it with the court. Take with you evidence that you have sent the costs schedule to them and when.
    LoC
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 4th Oct 17, 12:08 PM
    • 6,171 Posts
    • 7,891 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:08 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:08 PM
    Solicitors only work for clients and only follow their instruction. They derive all their work via "instructions" and are therefore above such reproach.

Originally posted by IamEmanresu
    THEORY ONLY .... instruction is one thing ? giving advice,
    and good advice is another and that is to the peril of IPC
    members .... but they already know that

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 4th Oct 17, 12:57 PM
    • 579 Posts
    • 701 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:57 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:57 PM
    A lawyers FIRST duty is to the court. Second it is to their client.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 5th Oct 17, 2:12 PM
    • 7,188 Posts
    • 6,238 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 5th Oct 17, 2:12 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 2:12 PM
    I understand that even those riff raff who are guilty as sin deserve a fair hearing in court, but firms who take on PPCs as clients do have a hoice, surely they must know that their clients are bent, which, in my eyes, makes them bent ae well,.
    • esmerobbo
    • By esmerobbo 5th Oct 17, 2:30 PM
    • 4,668 Posts
    • 6,143 Thanks
    esmerobbo
    Did they lose? Bet they still get paid for their incompetence.
    • IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 5th Oct 17, 2:59 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 2,888 Thanks
    IamEmanresu

Are some solicitors bent? Here is the theory in action

https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/law/judge-criticises-deeply-disturbing-practices-at-defunct-asons/5063068.article

There appears to be nothing wrong in issuing claims where there is no claimant and no basis for a claim - but that is what courts are there to decide.

LoC
    • Loadsofchildren123
    • By Loadsofchildren123 5th Oct 17, 3:20 PM
    • 1,262 Posts
    • 2,159 Thanks
    Loadsofchildren123
    I was once asked by a solicitor with criminal clients if I would do their fake divorces - the point being that there is legislation which allows the state to confiscate assets, but if the assets have been passed to a wife under a divorce then they already belong to W and can't be touched.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 5th Oct 17, 3:24 PM
    • 7,188 Posts
    • 6,238 Thanks
    The Deep
    The SRA has pages and pages of bent solicitors, nearly 900 names when I last looked.

My own solicitor, Jonathan Gilbert, was struck off and imprisoned for 12 years, it brought down the firm and 70 people lost their jobs.

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news/13405520.Conmen_jailed_for_bankrupting_firm/
    Last edited by The Deep; 05-10-2017 at 3:34 PM.
    • bargepole
    • By bargepole 5th Oct 17, 6:19 PM
    • 2,119 Posts
    • 6,028 Thanks
    bargepole
    ... In my opinion, lawyers rank just above Estate Agents in the Probity Stakes.
    Excuse me Mr D, but I'm currently studying for a Graduate Fast Track Diploma with the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (CILEx), at the end of which I'll be able to call myself a 'lawyer'.

The regulations of that body are very specific, and similar to the SRA Code of Conduct, which says amongst other things that you should advise your client of the strength of his case, and point out the likely consequences of an unsuccessful claim. Something which the solicitors acting for PPCs clearly fail to do.

I take umbrage at being compared to Estate Agents who, along with Recruitment Consultants, are the lowest form of pond life.
    Speeding cases fought: 24 (3 of mine, 21 for others). Cases won: 20. Points on licence: 0. Private Parking Court Cases: Won 28. Lost 9.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 5th Oct 17, 8:06 PM
    • 7,188 Posts
    • 6,238 Thanks
    The Deep
    I take umbrage at being compared to Estate Agents ...

Sorry Mr C but we Foreign Office bods tend to look down on everyone.
    Last edited by The Deep; 05-10-2017 at 8:09 PM.
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 5th Oct 17, 8:32 PM
    • 2,498 Posts
    • 3,743 Thanks
    fisherjim

The thing is I believe that!
    To quote the words of the great Count Arthur Strong "You Couldn't make it up"
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 5th Oct 17, 8:32 PM
    • 6,171 Posts
    • 7,891 Thanks
    beamerguy
    I take umbrage at being compared to Estate Agents ...

Another Boris joke then

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,692Posts Today

8,906Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin