Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • emilywilson
    • By emilywilson 4th Oct 17, 8:19 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    emilywilson
    debt collection and credit rating
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:19 AM
    debt collection and credit rating 4th Oct 17 at 8:19 AM
    I signed up to an exercise class where you pay monthly. I stopped going due to the teachers always changing and the quality of the class failing. They have emailed me to say as I didn't give notice I owe them the monthly fee of £75 and if i don't pay, they will send over debt collectors. if i don't pay and this happens, will it effect my credit rating? Many thanks for your help!
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 4th Oct 17, 8:36 AM
    • 17,098 Posts
    • 11,250 Thanks
    molerat
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:36 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:36 AM
    Debt collection on its own will not affect your credit history, your "credit rating" is pretty meaningless by the way, but any reporting of the account or if you fail to pay after court action could affect your credit availability.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • zx81
    • By zx81 4th Oct 17, 8:39 AM
    • 13,683 Posts
    • 14,147 Thanks
    zx81
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:39 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:39 AM
    I'd be looking to pay before the costs escalate.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 4th Oct 17, 10:03 AM
    • 12,200 Posts
    • 11,656 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:03 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:03 AM
    “Send over debt collectors” ha ha really ?

Won’t effect your credit file unless they decide to take you to court, which is unlikely.

Remember debt collectors have no powers whatsoever, as long as the debt remains with the original creditor, they just act as a mouthpiece.

Also to be legally collectable, they must write to you, email dosent count.

Did you sign any kind of contract or agreement that listed these fees ?
    Last edited by sourcrates; 04-10-2017 at 10:06 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there, and delete spam.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
  • National Debtline
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:44 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:44 PM
    Hi Emily and welcome to MSE,

In order for the class/ gym to report to your credit file this must have been clearly stated in the terms and conditions of the contract signed. If nothing was signed then I agree with the other posters that nothing will be on your credit file unless it goes to court. However, if nothing was signed - where does the notice period come from?

If nothing was signed I would suggest you write back and request a copy of the 'agreement' where you agreed to give 1 month's notice. If this does not exist then you can dispute the debt completely. However, if you did sign something that clearly states 1 month's notice is required and this wasn't given, then the debt would appear genuine. If you are unable to pay it in full you could try and pay it gradually, based on what you can afford but this at the lenders discretion.

Please be aware that debt collectors are also not bailiffs, they have no right of entry or repossession and whilst they may write to you about the debt, they are extremely unlikely to visit.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,931Posts Today

7,097Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin