Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 4th Oct 17, 6:10 AM
    • 2,902Posts
    • 39,423Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Wednesday 4 October 2017
    • 4th Oct 17, 6:10 AM
    O/S Daily Wednesday 4 October 2017 4th Oct 17 at 6:10 AM
    O/S Daily Wednesday 4 October 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Still dark, not so blustery, dry underfoot but cooler, so relented last night and put the heating on, it's on at the moment but I'm going to switch it off in a while. I've got a load of washing ready to peg out, I'll do that shortly.

DH up and gone to work stupid stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly.

Dinner last night was pork steaks, mash, carrots, broc, HG green beans and gravy, ice cream for those that wanted some. Tonight we're having smoked sausage and mushroom pasta with creme fraiche sauce.

Yesterday work was all or nothing, we were quiet for a while then everyone came in together and the enquiries were long and complicated. Today I'm working all day but doing a different job, so in an office on my own for most of the day, will see how that goes. I'll be on days' off after today so not back to work until Monday, except I have a training morning tomorrow which I must attend.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 04-10-2017 at 6:19 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 4th Oct 17, 6:50 AM
    • 1,172 Posts
    • 9,935 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 4th Oct 17, 6:50 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 6:50 AM
    Morning everyone,

Thanks for the thread nmlc.

I’ve been up for a couple of hours now, back to the not sleeping. There is so much that I’m worrying about at the moment that’s causing me to have trouble sleeping again. I’m already feeling exhausted so I dread to think what I will be like later this afternoon .

Yesterday was really nice and sunny until it clouded over early afternoon, and then the temperature dropped rapidly. The forecast is for much the same today, it’s nice to see the sun if only for a short time.

I didn’t get around to sorting out the end of month spreadsheets. I got side tracked trying to find a cheap food processor. Mine finally gave up working yesterday morning after a number of years and as I do use it quite a lot I’ve decided to replace it. There are a couple of shops with reductions on them at the moment so I went out to look at some and then came home to research them online. It looks like the best value one is one that I found reduced in Debenhams. They only had one left though, so I hope when I go back this morning it is still there. If it isn’t I may wait it out until the December/January sales and see what I can find then.

So today it’s back up to the town. My sister in law is going to get the bus over and meet me in town as she wants to start her Christmas shopping.

Have a good day whatever you are doing.
    • tru
    • By tru 4th Oct 17, 6:56 AM
    • 8,592 Posts
    • 43,514 Thanks
    tru
    • 4th Oct 17, 6:56 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 6:56 AM
    Morning

I walked down to Kynance Cove – shouldn't have done that! My leg was agony and I still had to walk back up to get back to the car. I was really limping, I must've looked like a weeble wobbling back up the hill, lol. I stuck to flat ground after that. I wanted to go down to Lizard Point but gave that a miss, I limped around a couple of shops in the village instead and bought a bag and a couple of wooden fish to cheer myself up

The car has been making a horrendous squeaking noise so we popped to a garage in Hayle on monday that we've used before, the tensioner (had to look that up!) is loose. So we're dropping it off this morning and will have a courtesy car to get about in. The job should only take a couple of hours so we won't go far, we'll take Scampi to the beach for a good run around. I will sit and throw the ball, he can do all the running
    We took the car to a garage before we went away, they were supposed to sort this out but they changed something else instead. So words will be had when we get back.

Bulletproof
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 4th Oct 17, 7:01 AM
    • 3,595 Posts
    • 41,901 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 4th Oct 17, 7:01 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 7:01 AM
    Morning All

I may need an Ark today, it's been raining all night and is still going strong.

Had a much needed haircut yesterday, feel much better now. Came home and had some very nice soup (courtesy of the lunch hall). Is it just me or does anyone else get cold at the hairdressers?

Sounds like you're having a good time tru, hope the hip (and car) recover soon.

Have a good Wednesday. Take care. XX
    • redruby
    • By redruby 4th Oct 17, 7:09 AM
    • 6,509 Posts
    • 90,164 Thanks
    redruby
    • 4th Oct 17, 7:09 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 7:09 AM
    Morning all

Very dark and gloomy here this morning but we are not meant to have rain till later on.

Little madam Evie came in last night and ran upstairs and was sick all over dd's duvet we had to strip the bed but it had gone through to the duvet I managed to get it in the wm and got it dried in the td as well, very pleased I went for a large drum on both, any hoo I now have a massive pile of washing to deal with, I also have a towel load to do, so will put one on before work this morning.

Dinner tonight will be something involving mince maybe a spag bol or a cottage pie if I get time.

Will do some more washing tonight but will have to use the td as the airer id full.

Right better get on, have good days all xx
    Last edited by redruby; 04-10-2017 at 7:12 AM.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 4th Oct 17, 7:27 AM
    • 5,962 Posts
    • 35,611 Thanks
    Gers
    • 4th Oct 17, 7:27 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 7:27 AM
    Good morning folks.

Think I’ll be floating down to where Camelot is soon, the rain has been coming down nonstop for days and days. The overnight rain battered the house again.

Two hours teaching first thing, haven’t overcome some techie challenges which are getting in the way of things. I will not be defeated!

Happy wet and soggy Wednesday to everyone.

PS - My Christmas potatoes were planted on August 09 and I have not had to water them since then.
    Last edited by Gers; 04-10-2017 at 7:56 AM.
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 4th Oct 17, 8:02 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 2,746 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:02 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:02 AM
    Good morning all,

Thanks for the thread nmlc.

Haven't posted for a few days, nothing much happening.

Can't get something out of my head DH said, maybe because I know if anything happens to him I'll be on my own.
    He said 'I don't want to die because I won't be able to cuddle you'. I just cried, love him.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 4th Oct 17, 8:47 AM
    • 1,749 Posts
    • 20,818 Thanks
    LaineyT
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:47 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:47 AM
    Oh Silveroldie that brought a tear to my eye as well

Morning all,

Dry and blustery here, colder as well as the heating clicked in for its hour this morning. Feeling rough with a cold lurgy thing today, it started yesterday and my Pilates teacher sent me home as she said it would affect my breathing etc. Have a busy day as well with my first lesson on Lulu and then she is seeing the farrier, will take a flask of honey and lemon as will be at the yard for a few hours. Still first world problem with everything else going on in the world.
    Hugs to all going through rough times and have a good day folks x
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 4th Oct 17, 8:56 AM
    • 15,632 Posts
    • 127,759 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:56 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:56 AM
    Ah bless him silver-oldie, what a lovely chap he sounds .I used to say to my OH when I went over the road to the shops 'is there anything you want there love ?'and he always said "No,just come back home again for me "
    I think sometimes men are just perhaps not used to saying or showing their feelings ,especially from the older generation.

My late OH was an exception he was a great big softie when it came to me or our two DDs.My youngest DD especially, and even today 14+ years later she says she still misses her Dads hugs, as he was a hugger bless him.

I hope everyone has a good day ,middle of the week already children will be on half term at the end of next week !!!I will be thinking soon of what I will do with my three DGS as I will be looking after them during the holidays.

Today I am picking up DD as its her day off and we are driving into London as I want to plant some spring bulbs up at the cemetery at Hither Green where my late brother Davy and Mum are buried.We will also pop round to see his ex-wife as she doesn't live too far from there.

Probably have lunch out somewhere with her as she doesn't get out much. At least its supposed to be bright and dry today.I'll still wrap up though as it is quite an open area and can get quite chilly up there.

Hope you all have a good day what ever you are doing

take care

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 4th Oct 17, 9:05 AM
    • 12,174 Posts
    • 35,760 Thanks
    Nelski
    Morning

Another day of no heating for mum but I actually think this may be the last one the guy who went round yesterday made progress but needs another pair of hands to sort out some very messy wiring. Everything crossed as the forecast is for chance of frost by the end of the week hopefully they mean much further north than us just in case.

All the jobs I had to do yesterday are still to be done today and a few more so its shopping cleaning and picking tickets up. Have to go to next too for a couple of bits I got in the sale dont really want them to be honest but i fell for the vip sale hype not very mse i know but it was a fairly cheap shop for me

food tonight is something takeaway like as my friend is staying over ready for a girly trip to London tomorrow. so glad tube strike has been called off so we can have our taxis back lots planned mostly involving food and drink and an afternoon tea on the thames

Best get moving hope everyone has a great day
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 4th Oct 17, 9:08 AM
    • 1,295 Posts
    • 14,655 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Morning all, thank you for the thread nmlc.

I have been up for a long time, but I did go to bed early as I was like a yawn on legs. I had to call the mister down at 4.30 to dispatch a poor mouse that had got in the trap, was injured but not dead, that was not nice and he was very cross.
    Cold but bright, bedding just finishing in the machine, ready for him to put out.
    JackieO, I'll think of you and your family today.
    Silver Oldie, that is such a sweet thing to say, sadly my O.H is a grumpy man and I can't believe he would waste his breath on saying something so nice to me.
    I must go to work
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 4th Oct 17, 9:24 AM
    • 1,760 Posts
    • 13,856 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

Dreadful weather this morning. Might stop wearing shorts to the gym at crazy o clock as my legs are baltic when I get into the car.

Last night was good fun. My pal came over and we played FIFA all night. Missed GBBO but I'll catch up tonight.

Football tonight. I'll squeeze in my GBBO before then I recon.

silver-oldie - What a lovely thing to say. Hope you're doing ok.
    Jackie - As always, I love your stories. He sounds like a great man. Hope today goes as well as it can.

Have a nice Wednesday and don't get too wet.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 4th Oct 17, 9:27 AM
    • 1,780 Posts
    • 16,728 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Woke up to the most horrendous noise, though they were digging up the road again, it was the chap with a rotavator on the front lawn, we are having new grass put down the old lawn was riddled with allsorts, buttercups, daisies even a pansy or two as well as dandelions.

We spent some time in the shed yesterday starting to put stuff in, we have decided to get peg board and hooks for the hand tools and the tools that clip onto the long or short handles, save raking to find them when we want to use them. I re-assembled the table and the small chest of drawers slid underneath. There is room for the fold up garden chairs and the fold up crates behind it, just have to put my hand in to get them out. OH wants to get the stuff out of the coal house so he can get at the lawn mower. We then have 3 plastic boxes we were lent to empty and return.

A bad night for me after 3am before I went to sleep, thats two bad nights in a row, hoping for better tonight.

Its the coffee morning at the little chapel, we picked 2 cucumbers and a courgette, so will take those with us. The carrots OH planted are riddled with worm, its been a bad year except for the beans, beetroot, courgette and cucumbers.

Supper tonight ham and salad with jacket spud. no dessert, trying to cut down on sweet things.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 4th Oct 17, 10:45 AM
    • 462 Posts
    • 5,702 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Morning all.
    Thanks NMLC for the thread start.
    The weather here is overcast but dry, so I've put a wash on. I swear someone is filling the washing basket at night while I'm sleeping .
    Mr Fix It has gone for a meet up and coffee with his friend / ex colleague, so the morning is all mine . What to do, what to do ? Should I do the ironing ? Or watch some recorded TV ? Or trawl the internet for Christmas present ideas ? Think I'll have another coffee first, then perhaps make a decision. Between you, me and the gate post I think the ironing malarky is at the end of the queue
    Phoned dad last night for a check in and to see if he's coming to tea tonight, but he said he has a sharp pain in his head. So he took some painkillers and I will check on him again shortly.
    Had another call last evening from elderly neighbour and Mr Fix It answered ( I was in the bath ). Apparently her daughter is blocking her calls to her family and no one wants to talk to her. So she was in tears again and no amount of reassurance would pacify her. Luckily one of her carers arrived so she put the phone down and we heard nothing more.
    Righty ho the WM has finished so I shall hang it out and hope it dries.
    Have a good day everyone.
    • elona
    • By elona 4th Oct 17, 11:07 AM
    • 11,325 Posts
    • 60,779 Thanks
    elona
    Washing is outside and I volunteer at the library this afternoon so fingers crossed it dries before I leave.

Looks as if I have a house full at the weekend so will get the bedding changed tomorrow and do some more tidying. Planning a late breakfast/ brunch before I leave and trying out a new shampoo and posh shower gel and looking out a nice new top to spruce myself up a bit.

Hugs to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 4th Oct 17, 1:52 PM
    • 983 Posts
    • 11,904 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Afternoon all

Dropped DGS at nursery about an hour ago. Came home and put the breadmaker and dishwasher on. DH is kindly tidying up the rest of the kitchen and I am having a bit of a sit down.

Normally that would be the last baby sitting this week but DD is on a First Aid course tomorrow and Friday so DH will take DGS to nursery and pick him up both days. The alarm will be set both days then.

Happy shed day Csarina.

have a good afternoon all.

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • Gers
    • By Gers 4th Oct 17, 2:56 PM
    • 5,962 Posts
    • 35,611 Thanks
    Gers
    Hi again. Still rainy, grey and miserable here, seems set for the month.

I've had a ropey old day not with my students but because of a colleague. Email arguments are never good and rarely end well. I'm definitely frazzled at both ends!

Since I've come home I've been busy dealing with DM's car (flat battery) and staving off her ranting about it. 'I really don't know' from me isn't helping. Anyway, I've organised a new battery to be fitted tomorrow and paid for it.

Now I'm going to do another piece of work before settling down for the evening. Tomorrow I hope to be a day of peace, harmony and understanding.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 4th Oct 17, 3:22 PM
    • 10,051 Posts
    • 108,010 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Awww, Silver Oldie your post brought a bit of a lump to my throat....
    It's something I worry about, as Mr LW is 10 years older than me; and if anything happened to him, I'd be totally and utterly alone in the world. I honestly don't think I could carry on if that happened.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 4th Oct 17, 4:12 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 2,746 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Ah bless him silver-oldie, what a lovely chap he sounds .I used to say to my OH when I went over the road to the shops 'is there anything you want there love ?'and he always said "No,just come back home again for me "
    I think sometimes men are just perhaps not used to saying or showing their feelings ,especially from the older generation.

JackieO xx
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Think our OHs were born about the same year.
    My DH always says "just come back safe" but I don't leave him very often now.

Awww, Silver Oldie your post brought a bit of a lump to my throat....
    It's something I worry about, as Mr LW is 10 years older than me; and if anything happened to him, I'd be totally and utterly alone in the world. I honestly don't think I could carry on if that happened.
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    I know that feeling, but I know I'm loosing him little by little.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 4th Oct 17, 4:16 PM
    • 3,699 Posts
    • 22,727 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    Hi folks. I have been MIA for a good few days. It was our 45th anniversary at the w/e and then Monday we departed for the gift from DD and DS of a 2 night stay at a Country Park Hotel and Spa. Got back this afternoon after a thoroughly enjoyable stay. We stayed in a log cabin in the woodland park which made for a right change for us. Restaurant, bar etc occupied a much bigger cabin overlooking a small lake where we had our meals. Scrumptious breakfasts and the 6 course taster menu in the evening was so good. I enjoyed an Elemis facial treatment and head massage but, sadly, Mr TA wasn't allowed to have any massages because of his health problems, so he enjoyed the pool and jacuzzi instead.

We have the 3 DGDs here for tea and sleepover but I am abandoning them to Mr TA's care as it's my first Wed of the month wine and carvery girlies night. As if I hadn't already eaten and drunk enough this week!!

Tomorrow we have the trek to Leeds for Mr TA's Oncology appt. Then to rush back for the 3 DGDs back again for tea and another sleepover. Doesn't take long for life to get back to the normal grind does it!!

Will try and do a quick catch up of posts now and hope everyone is well xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

212Posts Today

1,251Users online

Martin's Twitter