Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lisa3527
    • By Lisa3527 4th Oct 17, 5:42 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Lisa3527
    Voluntary Termination of car finance
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:42 AM
    Voluntary Termination of car finance 4th Oct 17 at 5:42 AM
    Hi I'm new here.
    l have car finance with Moneyway, and have paid about 55% of the agreement. Unfortunately l lost my job end of July and can no longer keep up with the payments. My account was one month in arrears. After reading through this forum, l decided that voluntary termination was the best option, so l sent a letter requesting this.
    I have received a letter back saying l can't do a voluntary termination because my agreement was terminated 2 years ago, my only option is to voluntary surrender. I'm confused about this, l know l had issues with the lender 2 years ago, when l had a debt management plan, though the car finance was not part of it, they terminated the agreement and attempted to repossess the car. After clarify the issue, l kept the car and they have continued to collect the payments and send me statements and update it on my credit file.
    They even issued me with a default notice when my account fell 2 months behind in September. I have talked to them about this but they still insist that my agreement was terminated, so l have lost my right to voluntary terminate, but l can voluntary surrender or they will repossess the vehicle.
    What are my options here please? Or do l just have to voluntary surrender to them?
    Thank you for your help.
Page 2
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 8th Oct 17, 10:07 PM
    • 11,642 Posts
    • 8,774 Thanks
    fatbelly
    If you ask for a Settlement figure, and obtain a valuation of the vehicle e.g. from WeBuyAnyCar, you can compare the two and work out what you owe.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    WBAC will not give an accurate valuation.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 8th Oct 17, 10:12 PM
    • 9,507 Posts
    • 9,103 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    WBAC will not give an accurate valuation.
    Originally posted by fatbelly
    It'll be a book value, subject to inspection for wear & tear. Alternatively, take the vehicle to a few dealers, although that can be a tedious process if you are not intending to trade it in for a new one.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 9th Oct 17, 5:41 AM
    • 11,642 Posts
    • 8,774 Thanks
    fatbelly
    It'll be a book value, subject to inspection for wear & tear. Alternatively, take the vehicle to a few dealers, although that can be a tedious process if you are not intending to trade it in for a new one.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    It'll be well below book value. Parkers is better, but even that is on the low side.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,409Posts Today

8,030Users online

Martin's Twitter