Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • firelover123
    • By firelover123 4th Oct 17, 3:33 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    firelover123
    Employee trying to make me return to work whilst still injured
    • 4th Oct 17, 3:33 AM
    Employee trying to make me return to work whilst still injured 4th Oct 17 at 3:33 AM
    I have been off of work at a manual labour job for a couple of months now. I had a cumulative back injury which then resulted in a "major" injury at work which was the last day i was there. over the two months i have been signed off and quite heavily medicated. MRI results show a herniated disc. have been at the physio for a couple of weeks with negative affects so far. Doctor is not interested in signing me off as fit as the disc keeps pressing on a spinal nerve cause great pain, even on my best days i cant walk very far and need high doses of gabapentin and coedine topped up with ibrofen and paracetamol to be able to manage daily tasks.

As you can imagine this leaves me feeling a bit spaced alot of the time after doses, which is the only times i can really get about well.

I have been signed off for another 6 weeks due to the nerve pain and have a new medication i am being transferred onto with a view of being referred to a long term pain clinic in a months time.

Work are giving me full pay at the moment which i am VERY grateful for, but here is where the problem lies. I was still just inside my probation when the injury happened, despite raising concerns in the weeks leading up to it. They have referred me to occupational health for an assessment. Problem being another staff member with similar issues to me has just had the same process and had his GP overruled essentially and pretty much forced to return to work despite back pain, stress and anxiety over returning due to one of the supervisors having a very anti attitude to anyone who takes long term illness including making comments towards their dedication to the team etc to make them an outsider when they return. after speaking to him/her it seems like i am getting the same treatment of being railroaded to going back to work. my job is working with plant equipment and manual labour but im being pushed into going back to an office role that has nothing to do with my job at all. i can just about get around my village let alone drive the 20 miles to work on the medication im on.

I have no idea what to do, hence the big wall of text (apologies!)

any advice would be much appreciated!
Page 1
    • JReacher1
    • By JReacher1 4th Oct 17, 7:36 AM
    • 2,633 Posts
    • 3,647 Thanks
    JReacher1
    • 4th Oct 17, 7:36 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 7:36 AM
    I suspect they will let you go. You’re in the probation period and can’t do the job you’re employed to do. I’m impressed how generous they’ve currently been
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 4th Oct 17, 7:44 AM
    • 1,502 Posts
    • 899 Thanks
    Sncjw
    • 4th Oct 17, 7:44 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 7:44 AM
    If they are pushing you to do office work wouldn’t it constitute as lighter duties so your not agrivating your back
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 4th Oct 17, 8:06 AM
    • 4,265 Posts
    • 4,444 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:06 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:06 AM
    It actually sounds as if the company is a very good one. 3 months or more on full pay during the probationary period is virtually unheard of. Making adjustments to enable the OP to return should also be seen as a positive rather than a negative action.
    Maybe being so generous is actually having a negative effect. I wonder if the attitude will change once the period of full pay ends and the OP only has SSP.
    • ssparks2003
    • By ssparks2003 4th Oct 17, 8:13 AM
    • 216 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    ssparks2003
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:13 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:13 AM
    So the are suggesting/offering light duties and you think you are being railroaded, the alternative is unemployment, no money coming in and potential difficulty in getting a new role in your condition. I think you need to consider your position and a company will not continue to throw money away for nothing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

910Posts Today

5,658Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin