Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • choille
    • By choille 3rd Oct 17, 11:11 PM
    • 5,551Posts
    • 27,086Thanks
    choille
    Tracing someone.
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:11 PM
    Tracing someone. 3rd Oct 17 at 11:11 PM
    I'm attempting to trace someone who I haven't heard from in a few years.

Any suggestions in how to go about it?

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 3rd Oct 17, 11:37 PM
    • 1,787 Posts
    • 2,570 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:37 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:37 PM
    http://www.192.com/people/

There are charges for Credits, which allow you to make a certain number of Searches. Do you have a fair idea of the possible location now? County would be a start. When I needed to find an old friend, I had a good idea of the county, and wrote to the Letters page of the local paper. Unfortunately, the response I received was from a friend of his there, who informed me that my old mate had passed away.

Facebook can help, if you are registered, but you may get several versions from all over the place, especially if it is a common British name.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• choille
    • By choille 4th Oct 17, 10:26 AM
    • 5,551 Posts
    • 27,086 Thanks
    choille
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:26 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:26 AM
    Thank you.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 4th Oct 17, 10:31 AM
    • 8,640 Posts
    • 13,171 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:31 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:31 AM
    Linked in, Facebook, twitter, google.

I tried to find someone last month, amazed it took me about five mins, 192.com confirmed my findings.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 4th Oct 17, 12:33 PM
    • 1,270 Posts
    • 1,288 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:33 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:33 PM
    Just googling the persons name and last known town usually brings something.
    • choille
    • By choille 4th Oct 17, 3:23 PM
    • 5,551 Posts
    • 27,086 Thanks
    choille
    • 4th Oct 17, 3:23 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 3:23 PM
    Thanks - nothing appearing so far.
    • jimbo747
    • By jimbo747 4th Oct 17, 9:17 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    jimbo747
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:17 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:17 PM
    How about searching for a friend of theirs first, or family etc and go from there.
    • choille
    • By choille 4th Oct 17, 9:24 PM
    • 5,551 Posts
    • 27,086 Thanks
    choille
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:24 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:24 PM
    I've tried all of that - they are pretty elusive.

You used to be able to get hits from google but that doesn't seem to happen now when you use a name.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 4th Oct 17, 9:30 PM
    • 60,285 Posts
    • 352,231 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:30 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:30 PM
    Just some smart googling and what you know about them will do.

I spotted a death in the papers the other day, somebody I'd not seen for 40 years, within 2 hours I knew the fate of her entire family and their locations. She'd married, had a child, divorced, married again, had step children, was a granny, father'd died 30 years ago, mother'd remarried 35 years ago and was still alive... had ill health and her sister had relocated to live with her and look after her ....and none of them were really active on social media at all.... I just had to use freely available resources and what I knew about the person and rough locations and then had to join up a lot of obscure dots with "what's most likely to be happening to this sort of person" to work out the last 40 years' movements.

You won't get one simple lookup .... it often takes a lot of resources to piece together the jigsaw until you get a breakthrough.

In my case, my "magic bean" was that I knew her middle name, so when I found somebody with a very similar name, that included the middle initial, I knew I was "onto something here".... and I trusted that gut instinct and get going... and going....
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 04-10-2017 at 9:33 PM.
    • choille
    • By choille 4th Oct 17, 9:54 PM
    • 5,551 Posts
    • 27,086 Thanks
    choille
    It's odd I have managed to do as you suggest in the past but this time with this person it's proving a no show - most odd as they were in the papers but even those details aren't coming up in a search.
    • choille
    • By choille 5th Oct 17, 10:45 AM
    • 5,551 Posts
    • 27,086 Thanks
    choille
    Even when typing in his full name and full last known address nothing - 5 hits but all about a USA pop star of the same name.

It's most odd.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,496Posts Today

6,860Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin