Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • squizz11
    • By squizz11 3rd Oct 17, 10:51 PM
    • 27Posts
    • 6Thanks
    squizz11
    speedometer on scooter
    • 3rd Oct 17, 10:51 PM
    speedometer on scooter 3rd Oct 17 at 10:51 PM
    not sure if this is the right board, my son is 10 and autistic and is facinated with speed, he really wants a speedometer on his stunt scooter, we are looking at the bike ones and wondered if anyone knew if one could be fitted on a scooter. i know something has to be fitted to the spoke of the wheel but scooters dont have spokes, so not sure if that would work or if anyone knows of anything else that would work

thanks in advance
Page 1
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 3rd Oct 17, 11:10 PM
    • 7,399 Posts
    • 7,559 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:10 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:10 PM
    many "motorcycle" ones use a magnet mounted on the wheel rim (usually the brake disc) , the good thing is they can be set on a wide range od wheel diameters , however they are not £9.99 from argos nore have you a battery fitted!

now the easy way , you can buy a magnet bolt , or indeed modify the thing that come with a cheep cycle one and glue/bolt it anywhere on the wheel , close enought to be picked up by the reciever (1/8th inch)
    • bob_a_builder
    • By bob_a_builder 3rd Oct 17, 11:13 PM
    • 1,500 Posts
    • 708 Thanks
    bob_a_builder
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:13 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:13 PM
    It just a magnet that is attached to the bike spoke, no doubt it could be glued to the wheel somehow, and then there is the sensor which need to be mounted on the frame to detect the magnet passing by

In the head unit you have to enter a setting to tell it the diameter of the wheel so it can calc speed - only issue might be that the wheel size is too small, such that there is no setting available to suit it

Thats my experience from kids bike some years ago now , might have changed

EDIT :
    Looks like you would be OK
    See A section on this doc for example
    http://www.halfords.com/wcsstore/libraries/document/090519-R2Halfords8-10funsetting.pdf

Edit 2:
    http://www.halfords.com/kids-zone/scooters/stunt-scooters
    Ah - They are very small wheels ! so above probably a non starter
    A
    Last edited by bob_a_builder; 03-10-2017 at 11:42 PM.
    • Andy L
    • By Andy L 3rd Oct 17, 11:28 PM
    • 8,471 Posts
    • 6,778 Thanks
    Andy L
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:28 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:28 PM
    If you've got an old spare smartphone lying about you could run a suitable GPS app
    • missile
    • By missile 3rd Oct 17, 11:38 PM
    • 8,953 Posts
    • 4,337 Thanks
    missile
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:38 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:38 PM
    My sat nav has a function to display speed. He would also have a map.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

336Posts Today

3,299Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin